• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me decide between these 3 skis!

ceegee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey guys, I used to be a racer in highschool growing up in New York. I always skied on a racing ski (160 atomic slalom skis) which was a lot of work for me since I wasn't heavy by any means (150lbs 5' 9.5"). When I was skiing often I was an aggressive skier that loved fresh groomed trails. I haven't skied in a long time and recently moved to Vancouver, Canada. My friends planned a trip to Whistler and I need a new pair of skis. I want something that is an all-mountain 1 quiver ski. I have a preference for skiing groomed trails, but I imagine whistler has a lot more powder/non-piste sking so I am looking for skis geared more towards that. The 3 skis i'm looking at now are:
  • Elan Ripstick 96
These have gotten great reviews, but I'm worried they are a bit too soft for ripping on groomed. Otherwise I don't see many issues with these as they seem to be a great all around ski. There is also a black edition which apparently is even better, so maybe If i can find the black edition get those? Size 174
  • Volkl 100eight
I was told they are great all around skis, but reviews mentioned they aren't AS great on groomed snow, but kill it in off-piste. They are 108 under the foot and that concerns me as I'm not used to a wider ski and like shorter turns. I was told I should go to the 181 size instead, but the 173 looked better for me since I'm lighter and used to a 160 race ski. Size 173
  • Volkl 90eight
The volkl 90eight are a bit more appealing to me since they are slimmer underfoot, most people seem to review them positively, and I'm definitely interested in these. Size 177

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like the 90Eight and if you want fall off the bone easy, the Elan 96..if you want a bit more "back bone" to the 96...go for the Black Edition 96.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I tried two of those skis on Mt. Washington Vancouver Island. The 100-eight kills it in fresh snow, trees and off-piste. The Ripstick 96 is a better compromise between on and off Piste. You should go longer though.

I haven't tried the 90-eight.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Will you be making whistler and cypress a habit?

Even whistler goes through low or no new snow periods, Coming from a racing background you may be a little disappointed in the hard snow/ice performance of all the above.

If you end up skiing more often, two skis are better than one. One ski for each condition that isn’t a compromise for what you are doing is ideal. A front side biased 75 to 80mm under foot fski and 105 to 110mm under foot off piste ski is a great combination to have.

If one ski is the goal, the the ripstick 96 Black would be my choice of the three. Otherwise I’d grab the 100eight and add a carving ski later.

Also of interesting note. The thread starter for this one indicates he has a Stormrider 95 in 174 still available. https://www.pugski.com/threads/stöckli-sr95.12981/

It does everything the ripstick 96 does, just better. Babalooski is straight up about condition and is meticulous about his stuff. I have a set of SR 95’s in 183’s from him and they are the most well rounded Mid 90’s class ski you can lock a boot into.

Last edited:
TS
C

ceegee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Will you be making whistler and cypress a habit?

Even whistler goes through low or no new snow periods, Coming from a racing background you may be a little disappointed in the hard snow/ice performance of all the above.

If you end up skiing more often, two skis are better than one. One ski for each condition that isn’t a compromise for what you are doing is ideal. A front side biased 75 to 80mm under foot fski and 105 to 110mm under foot off piste ski is a great combination to have.

If one ski is the goal, the the ripstick 96 Black would be my choice of the three. Otherwise I’d grab the 100eight and add a carving ski later.

Also of interesting note. The thread starter for this one indicates he has a Stormrider 95 in 174 still available. https://www.pugski.com/threads/stöckli-sr95.12981/

It does everything the ripstick 96 does, just better. Babalooski is straight up about condition and is meticulous about his stuff. I have a set of SR 95’s in 183’s from him and they are the most well rounded Mid 90’s class ski you can lock a boot into.

Ya the main mountains around me are cypress and whistler. I'm not a strong racer, so i'd like to move away from the more aggressive skiing into the more slightly aggressive carver. I haven't seriously skied in years, so I imagine I couldn't handle a very stiff ski anymore. I'm more interested in the 1 quiver ski, and I don't think i'll be skiing too often in the future.

Last edited:

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Ya the main mountains around me are cypress and whistler. I'm not a strong racer, so i'd like to move away from the more aggressive skiing into the more slightly aggressive carver. I haven't seriously skied in years, so I imagine I couldn't handle a very stiff ski anymore. I'm more interested in the 1 quiver ski, and I don't think i'll be skiing too often in the future.

There are some really great, much more accessible carvers out there today. I could probably chop down a tree with my old Atomic cap skis, they were burley as hell. But today’s skis are constructed with much more flex and forgiveness.

If you are looking for a one ski solution, that Stockli Stormrider that babalooski has is a great opportunity. I’ll be bringing the same ski along with a carver to whistler next week.

Sponsor

Staff online