• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many hrs drive to ski will you still consider it a day trip?

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Many years ago, I was willing to drive 2 hours each way without staying over. When it grew to 3, I found places to stay.

These days, I mostly drive about 35 minutes each way on a route with almost no traffic, which is good because the highway is often covered with packed snow. If I was willing to drive 3 hours, I would have a pretty decent selection, but I'm too cheap to pay for day passes and too spoiled to drive and pay extra to go someplace with less snow.

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
Just drove 3-1/2 hrs. each way from Grand Rapids (Michigan) to Nub's Nob on Saturday for a day trip. Long day but worth it!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I think you are mis remembering.
It's a little under $50 right now, per the website (from the NE extension to Ohio). So years ago, say, the mid-90's, I'd think it was probably half that or less.
Not that long ago tolls went way up, maybe 10 or 15 years ago. So NJ to Ohio is now $82 without E-Z Pass, $40 with E-ZPass. Huge difference !

breezewood to Bedford went from $0.25 to $1.00 10 yrs ago so I quit the Turnpike and used the local road -It turned into a freeway.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that long ago tolls went way up, maybe 10 or 15 years ago. So NJ to Ohio is now $82 without E-Z Pass, $40 with E-ZPass. Huge difference !
The "non EZ pass" rates are kind of artificial though - they are jacked way up to encourage people to get an EZ Pass, which is easy to do.

There are no cash toll payments anymore, so you either have to take the one lane that takes credit at some plazas, or have an EZ Pass. And not every exit takes credit. If you go through the EZ Pass toll plaza without an EZ Pass, they send you an invoice based on the license plate. At that point you can pay the full rate, or sign up for an EZ Pass account and get the EZ Pass rate.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back in the day when I lived in NJ- Hunter was about 2 1/2 hours- easy day drive. 3 hours would be the max. Now there is nothing closer that about 3 1/2- I would maybe do that on a bus trip so I can sleep both ways...

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have done 3 hours each way I don’t like to do much more than that.

Sponsor

Staff online