• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is Kästle in decline

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think it's the heaviness I didn't like. I skied them in 16 - 20 inches at Targhee and they were certainly good, but I also skied the Rustlers in 15+ at Alta a month earlier (similar snow feel) and simply felt more afloat and control. (I ski intermediate in the powder though since I have limited experience).

The last sentence explains your preference. The Rustlers pivot much easier, and have a big sweet spot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How it is, I have not seen many reviews. is the 2022 version the same as the 2021? Honestly have not seen too many reviews on the 2021.

23 review will get posted in the Fall.

ctsnowplow

Getting on the lift
Skier

23 review will get posted in the Fall.
was enquiring about the mx98. Is it different or just graphic?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
was enquiring about the mx98. Is it different or just graphic?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know if Kastle is in decline, but I fear that my original MX80's are. I bought them on ebay for under $200 from a seller who turned out to be the Aspen rental stock thief. What would be a good replacement? (would prefer to find a less shady deal)

ctsnowplow

Getting on the lift
Skier
and the new 2023 that was just introduced with a new graphic? That is what Phil was speaking about when he cant release any reviews till fall.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I don't know if Kastle is in decline, but I fear that my original MX80's are. I bought them on ebay for under $200 from a seller who turned out to be the Aspen rental stock thief. What would be a good replacement? (would prefer to find a less shady deal)
I bought my MX89s from the Aspen thief as well as a number of other skis.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recently picked up the FX96 HP which was much loved by a couple of friends and I was blown away by just how good this ski is. And, it was being cleared out on Sierra for $399.00. Its insanely good and skis on edge like a much narrower ski. I skied it last week on Copper's Tucker faces and it was remarkable. Its lively and light but its stout and reliable on Tuckers steeps. It is also a fantastic bumps ski (for 96mm).
I just picked up a new in the wrapper pair for $300. I figured I'd give them a try even though I tend to like some metal. Why are these ski's going for such fire storm prices? I'm hoping it's just because end of year sales and not terrible reviews.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I just picked up a new in the wrapper pair for $300. I figured I'd give them a try even though I tend to like some metal. Why are these ski's going for such fire storm prices? I'm hoping it's just because end of year sales and not terrible reviews.
The FX line doesn't seem to sell well, especially the version a few years ago without metal. So they were being cleared out at very low prices. I got a pair for $199 with the wrapper about a month ago. Haven't mounted or tried them yet.

Kastle sure has an uphill battle as they try to transition to a more mainstream brand from pricey premium brand. So far they don't seem to be gaining much traction in this regard from what I can tell.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
The FX line doesn't seem to sell well, especially the version a few years ago without metal. So they were being cleared out at very low prices. I got a pair for $199 with the wrapper about a month ago. Haven't mounted or tried them yet.

Kastle sure has an uphill battle as they try to transition to a more mainstream brand from pricey premium brand. So far they don't seem to be gaining much traction in this regard from what I can tell.
I'm not sure about the business side of things, all I care about is if a ski actually ski's well :)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Old Kastle had that nasty habit of clearing unsold stock through discount retailers such as STP, which more than likely drove their dealers (I.e. ski shops) totally nuts. Most of their skis were really solid, and more than a few were exceptional.
So does new Kästle. They are all sold out now, but STP has great deals on them.

Sponsor