• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Lots of 2018 skis: Sierra-At-Tahoe demo results

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
2018 Ski Reviews: single run, off-piste demoing!

Here is a link to the mashed potato snow conditions, skiing a steep pitch under the run.

Wade and I had a chance to ski 16 different skis at the recent Sierra-at-Tahoe demo. The conditions were “interesting”, as 3 feet of snow that had fallen 72 hours prior had since become quite heavy; temps were in the mid 40's when we arrived at 9am, and soon climbed into the low 50's. The testing was limited to a run on each ski, straight underneath the chair, which provides a nice steep liftline pitch approaching 40 degrees at the top, and some mid-angle (30-35 degree) bumps toward the bottom. The snow transitioned from easy, grippy hero snow in the first hour to mashed potatoes soon thereafter. Attached is a quick video clip of what the conditions looked like; the video was shot on a short, steep pitch near the top of the main Sierra-at-tahoe liftline.

About Wade and I: he is 5 foot 11, 162lbs, and I am 5 foot 9, 160lbs. He is a longtime L3, whereas I am a fairly adept technical skier, without a teaching background. Wade typically likes a rounder, brushed turn (low angle carve), whereas I am more direct in my line, looking for a ski with some rebound energy and feedback. If he were skiing bumps for example, it would be across the fall line, incorporating 2 or 3 into one turn, whereas I tend to stay in the fall line, often the zipper line for bumps. We agreed on the relative ranking for 75% of the skis: the other 25% that was the primary source of disagreement were likely due to the type of turn I like, the type of turn he likes, and the type of turn the ski likes. The best of these will handle multiple turn shapes and speeds; versatility sets them apart.

We primarily focused on off-piste skis, or those that would be taken off-piste. We didn't ski the product we personally own (FX95HP for example) as each of us have more than enough time on those skis to make a determination of how they perform.

Rather than try to rank each ski individually, I have grouped them by overall impression and letter grades

A (the standouts of the test): Stockli Stormrider 95, Scale Delta, Laser AX, Kastle MX84, MX89, Nordica Navigator 90

These A-rated skis all share one thing in common: they ski with more ease, more predictability, and will make a wider range of turn shapes vs the rest of the skis tested.

Stormrider 95 175cm: very, very nice ski. At Copper, it was the best ski tested, and among the top few here. A bit of rocker at the tip, enough to be surfy and not super aggressive when starting a new turn. The tail is solid and strong; it likes to be skied from the ball of the foot. Wider brushed turns, more aggressive turns in the fall line, quick edge to edge carved turns: it does it all. One of the easiest skis I have been on; buttery and damp, almost too damp. The 95 feels like an unfair advantage.

Scale Delta: Wade skied this, I didn't ski it for some reason. Length was 177cm, (Large). It was in his top 3; he was raving about the early rise, the bit thinner metal layup, the mount point, the overall feel of the ski, ease of turn initiation, stability. Basically, in his mind, a perfect ski for the less aggressive, technically adept skier looking for a true narrower all-mountain ski. I have skied the older model, which I loved. I found it to be a bit softer, more playful, slightly wider AX type of feel. It is a touch softer, has a different tip profile. Check it out for a versatile, easy to ski in mixed conditions type of ski for people who don't need a ski that has insane stability

Laser AX 175cm: I was the only person to demo the AX: Wade had skied it last year and liked it a lot, enough to buy a pair (before swapping to an MX74). My overall impressions are the same as always: a very technically-oriented all-mountain ski that holds it's own in sweeping groomer turns at speed. The AX is laughably forgiving and easy in junky snow; bumps; any turn shape you want to make. Another ski that somehow reads my mind. A very fun ski on groomers as well, technically superb, precise. It will make you a better skier and expose flaws, without punishing you for those flaws. Only drawback is the Stockli perhaps being a bit damp and low energy for some.

Kastle MX89 (172cm: )another one of our “top 3”. The tail on the MX89 is very forgiving, such an improvement over the MX88. The old tail had a fairy aggressive sidecut; the current tail releases well in junk snow and greatly enhances the versatility of the 98. I found this to be another ski in the top 5 overall of forgiveness: any turn shape, any line, any release. The MX89 does it all, but beyond that, it provides the skier with a ton of feedback, both positive and negative. Were you in balance, and did you nail that release? The MX89 is rewarding, and will put a smile on your face? Back seat, skiing poorly? The MX89 won't necessarily punish you, but will remind you to get your act together. A bit off topic, but this a big reason that so many people love Kastle, and some hate it. If you are coming from a new school, bounce around on the tail type of ski, the Kastle won't be a fun choice. Those from a race or technical background, or those who wish to ski well technically, will love the precision and feedback. Of course, not matter what ski you are on, backseat driving won't help you in the bumps: getting down the hill is not the same as ripping it, and that is why skis without a real tail may allow bad skiers to get away with remaining bad, it isn't the same as helping a skier to improve so they can ski that steep bump run or chute, smoothly and in control.

Kastle MX84 176cm: Wade had the 84 roughly 4th: it was my top ski of the day. I never fail to be amazed at how good the 84 is in junk snow and bumps, given the precision, sportiness, and top end of this ski. Wade commmented that it liked to be skied from edge to edge; it was the only ski he was carving the crud up on. Seeing his tracks from the chair leant legitimacy to that sensation; railroad tracks instead of the brushed scarves from earlier runs. The MX84 loves my style of skiing: snappy, looking for feedback, a bit higher edge angle, precision; for all of these characteristics, the MX84 was, for me, as easy to ski in the heavy crud as any ski we tried. Perhaps easier, as I was able to utilize rebound from the turn as release and direction into the new turn. It loved early edge angle, active feet: the 84 seems to ask for my best skiing, and is so rewarding yet forgiving that I trust it completely. It also goes without saying that the 84 will power any groomer like a race ski, although we didn't have it on groomers during this test. The 84 and 74 remain in my top 5 “all-time skis”.

Nordica Navigator 90 high 170's: the only non-premium ski to make the top group. It has early rise (but no significant taper), a perfect tip and tail flex, and great feel underfoot. A huge step up from the NRGY, which was mediocre, at best. The new Nordica also made any shape turn, any edge angle, and ease of use was above any of the “mass market” skis. We both loved it. It did feel a little more vague to me compared to the Kastle and Stockli product, but that may not be an issue for most skiers. I crave that feedback. Very competent in steeper, short swing turns: easy in bumps, nice forgiving feel at the tip. I didn't get groomer time on it, but am interested to see how it stacks up against the very well regarded Stockli and Kastle product here. As an off-piste ski however, it was right up there with the top skis in the land. It is the ski that the Enforcer 93 should be! Perfect ski-anywhere companion. If on a budget, I would definitely own it: reminds me of the old Fischer Motive 95 in terms of shape and versatility, and the Rossi 88HD in terms of turn shape adaptability.

B: solid efforts, worth examining further

Atomic Vantage CTI 100 180cm-ish: this was my “best of the rest” ski. The Vantage is titanium and carbon, a different layup for 2018, but not being an Atomic dealer, I don't know much more than that. On the steep pitch we tested, the Vantage was quite laterally stiff, perhaps a bit too “edgy” which cost it a position in the top group. It was a bit too laterally touchy at the tip, not as willing to adjust edge angle as the top skis. With that said, outside of the aggressive tip, the rest of the ski was balanced and easy. I felt the ski made a very round turn, in addition to a more aggressive L-shaped turn. Energy upon release was moderate, something I appreciate. It isn't a floppy ski, the top end is substantial, and I found it relatively easy to ski, although it would be on the more demanding side when compared to the skis listed here.

Salomon QST 92 178cm-ish: The 92 I knew literally nothing about: supposedly it is their “lighter and softer” QST, but it really held up. A great ski in junk snow, really balanced. Lacking edge bite and energy, but I knew exactly what to expect in mashed potato bumps. Very easy to tip in and ride the sidecut trough the turn. The ski could use a bit more aggressive tune: it did feel a bit spoony, due to lack of metal perhaps, and perhaps due to it being not an expert-level ski. I wouldn't necessarily buy it for my purposes, but it can make a whole lot of people happy.

Blizzard Rustler 10-180cm-ish: similar comments to the QST 92, but a wider version. Even though a 102 is typically out of my everyday, firmer snow range, I liked the quickness of this ski; it was light, held well, released very easily, and refused to take me for a ride. I was in total control on every turn on the 10. Downsides: a little soft for bigger turns and high speeds. It could use a bit of beef, something in between this flex and the Bonafide would be ideal for my weight and skiing style.

Blizzard Bonafide 180cm: The Bonafide (revised for 2018) had a much improved tail over the 2017; it also seems to ski softer than the old model, with a bit more energy. It liked a round, fairly deliberate turn, good stability, easy to release in steeps. With that said, it fought me when taking a more direct line, working steeps in a more fall-line, L-shaped pattern. It did not like this turn, felt overly aggressive at the tip when tipped into higher edge angles. I did get this ski on groomers, it was very good there. Wade really liked it, and he skis a bit lower energy, rounder turn than I do. Match your skiing style with this ski.

C or D grades: needs work, something is off with all of these models. Perhaps they just suck.

Volkl Ninety Eight 178cm ish: On paper, this is quite similar to the QST92. On snow, not so much. Wade and I both hated it. Spoony, almost edgeless, with an overly aggressive, almost laterally boosted tip. Very unpredictable, even in mashed potatoes, and it sucked on the groomer. It seemed like a ski designed for intermediates by expert skiers who think all intermediates are low skill and hopeless, rather than a ski designed to take intermediates off-piste and build confidence and skill. Not a fan.

Blizzard Brahma CA 180cm: wow, this ski was a handful. Edgy, aggressive, light, underdamped. It was hard to find a redeeming quality on the CA for either of us. I really like the new Brahma, and the CA should be a mellower version of that ski. If anything it was more demanding, almost like the reduction of metal reduced the balance of the ski. It was aggressive and had a mind of it's own. Normally, I would write this off as a potential tune issue, but I had similar reports out of the Copper demo from other testers. Definitely try before you buy.

Salomon XDR 88Ti 178cm-ish: A true Jekyll and Hyde ski. The tip and tail were not matched whatsoever. The tip has a shape reminiscent of the Nordica NRGy: friendly, rocker, not that much on-piste performance, likely geared toward upper intermediates, lower energy skiers. The tail is full-on, strongest of any ski in this test. The result is a total mis-mash of character. Is the ski a hard snow groomer ripper, or a soft off-piste ski? Lack of forgiveness in the tail suggest the latter. Soft tip, almost nothing in the way of a technical tip-in, suggests the former. Demanding yet low performance at the same time.

Incomplete: skis with a poor tune that deserve another chance.

Rossignol Experience 88 HD 178cm ish: I loved this ski last year. It reminded me of the new Nordica Navigator 90: relaxed, balanced, ready for any turn and any energy level. This year's experience was completely the opposite. Both Wade and I found it edgy, aggressive, laterally much too stiff and jerky. Did the 88 develop an addiction to meth? It has to be the tune, as the ski didn't change.

Kastle LX85 168cm: I only skied this off-piste, and amongst my reviews, I put it in my top 4. Buttery smooth, akin to the Stockli AX in terms of terrain adaptability Precise with the ability to read minds, and laughably easy to ski. Wade took a run on it, mostly groomers and bumps, and found it much too aggressive. Considering the LX is a softer, more relaxed version of the MX (which won our mutual admiration), I am chalking this up to a bad tune. Reports coming out of Copper were of the LX being amongst the best of the test; we both agreed that it was likely a tune issue.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Weird. The E-88 HD is unchanged from last year other than the graphic. Also thought the 90Eight skied fine in fixed conditions. Sounds like tune funk.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I pretty much know the E88 had a bad tune. Volkl: it may have been the tune, hard to say, but it didn't have the typical poor tune characteristics (overly edgy, or unstable). Might just have been a ski that neither of us liked.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great write-ups as always !

I have Wade's former Scale Delta size M (177cm) and it is the Fun'est ski in my quiver, and the most versatile for me.
I will have to see about getting on the latest iteration next year. I assume there is more going on than just NGT.

I see you had the MX89 in 172cm , which seems short considering "many" skied the MX88 at 178 ( 168 was the next size down for the MX88 ).
But the next size up for the MX89 is 180, which I assume would be much more of a handful for skiers at both Scott & Wade's H/W.

I assume the MX84 was 176cm ( 168 is the next size down ).
I really enjoyed my time on it when I rented it for a day on my last trip, and would readily buy it.
But I like my quiver with the Scale Delta (83 wide) in its slot, and now experimenting with some 70-78 hard snow skis.
That 2-ski quiver suits my realistic local skiing conditions best. And of course ongoing fooling around with 93-110 skis for trip purposes !

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Great write-ups as always !

I have Wade's former Scale Delta size M (177cm) and it is the Fun'est ski in my quiver, and the most versatile for me.
I will have to see about getting on the latest iteration next year. I assume there is more going on than just NGT.

I see you had the MX89 in 172cm , which seems short considering "many" skied the MX88 at 178 ( 168 was the next size down for the MX88 ).
But the next size up for the MX89 is 180, which I assume would be much more of a handful for skiers at both Scott & Wade's H/W.

I assume the MX84 was 176cm ( 168 is the next size down ).
I really enjoyed my time on it when I rented it for a day on my last trip, and would readily buy it.
But I like my quiver with the Scale Delta (83 wide) in its slot, and now experimenting with some 70-78 hard snow skis.
That 2-ski quiver suits my realistic local skiing conditions best. And of course ongoing fooling around with 93-110 skis for trip purposes !

Honestly, I feel the 180cm MX89 is easier ski to handle than the MX88 in 178cm. It skis shorter somehow: definitely softer at the forebody with a more forgiving tail. The 172cm mixes it up a bit, and I really liked the shorter length for those conditions; it prioritizes quickness without a large hit in stability.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
"Salomon XTI 88 (I think that was the name). "

X-Drive 8.8?

15-16-Salomon__X-DRIVE_88_FS_black_orange_Unisex-copy1-copy.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Salomon XDR 88 TI, the new one is called. A narrower QST 92, in my view.
Thanks, I just came in here to clarify the model name. While it is a bit more ski than the QST 92, it is not up with the Brahmas and Kendos nor the X-Drive 8.8 (it replaces) of the segment. Not that that is a knock, it is more a finesse ski and more mixed snow biased.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I don't know what was up with that ski, it felt very unbalanced and just a really poor effort. I don't think it was that tune as the tip and tail would have at least been consistent. The ski just didn't know what it wanted to do, like they were trying to make it a front side performance ski with a strong tail, yet wanted to go new school with a Tips so it looked cool? Anyways, don't count either Wade or I as a fan of that ski

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'd call that a tune issue, the QST line tends to be a soft-snow oriented ski that IMHO, ski very smooth and consistently; the shape give tells the tale. You may have been over-pressuring the tips? its not a beefy ski.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I'd call that a tune issue, the QST line tends to be a soft-snow oriented ski that IMHO, ski very smooth and consistently; the shape give tells the tale. You may have been over-pressuring the tips? its not a beefy ski.

Is it part of the QST line? I didn't see it anywhere on the ski. The rep said it was their "hard snow frontside ski", nothing about QST.

Reactions: Ron

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Nice summation, Scott!

A couple of things, and I'll go into more details on each in my follow, but some quick thoughts to comments above.

1st: Nordica was a 179.

We skied the 172 MX 89 as we were skiing that back to back with LX 85 and wanted similar lengths, also, I thought 180 may be longer in that ski then I'd want.

RE: the Solomon 88, it didn't ski like the qst 92 or 99, tip similar, but tail was odd, I thought it was schizophrenic. I wasn't over pressuring the tips, I ski each of the skis at similiar speeds, turns, run with same technique.

I have a thought that being lighter then I've been, and weaker, I want a softer ski, so I wanted to ski less then top end skis to test that...
I also really like skis the at allow a good blend, hold fast when asked, but will drift as asked without argument and move through transition fluidly, without any hooky feel.

My top 3 of the day.

1, Nordica Navigator 90, 179.
Just was fun, but rewarding, easy, but exciting. I was a big fan. I have skied enforcers and didn't like at all, so really surprised here.

2. Scale Delta, 177, I loved this ski, but felt they had made the early rise tip too long, and had missed the mount point because of that. They fixed both things, shorter rise, mount point money, just a super fun, rewarding ski that did it all for me well.

3. mx 84, 176. Wow, just plain amazing. For me, I don't have niche for it, as my "on" the snow ski I like a bit narrower, and "in' the snow ski wider, but wow!

4. Stockli sr 95 and mx 89 tied. Both super versatile, high performance but friendly.

More later...
Cheers,
Wade

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the changes you describe in the revised Scale Delta, sounds like it might be more of a "true" SR83 in the spirit of the Stormrider series, vs the lightweight that is the SR83. Regardless, I'm sure both are fantastic.

I too am down in weight a bit this year, from 175 to 165 ( just from better eating habits) and think I am over chasing skis that were/are too long for me. I might, for once, consider skis shorter than 175. :D

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
After skiing the AX, the 95, the MX84, the MX74, and the Limited over the past few days, I can say definitively....these are all great skis! Surprise.

I have been doing some informal instructing, and have been splitting time between the AX and SR95, depending on conditions. I am constantly amazed at how well these work at slow, teaching speeds: release drills, working on shaping turn radius, edging drills, COM drills. Skis with this performance envelope shouldn't be this easy to ski!

Sponsor

Staff online