• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Medium Intermediate Intermediate Skis

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
This is an area I don't know much about. A friend's daughter's boyfriend is looking for a pair of mostly piste-oriented all mountain skis. They shouldn't be new this model year, nor exotic, because he wants to keep it under $250 with bindings (I know where to find demo pricing).

He's 5' 10", 185, a mid-range intermediate, and I think an athletic guy. His girlfriend and her family are into skiing, and he wants to ski more (and keep up with them).

My impulse is something softish and turny to make skill-development easier, but then if he's trying to keep up with his potential in-laws, soft can be alarming.

Any ideas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Soft" is relative. I would consider something that is softer and more balanced longitudinally for ease but stiffer, torsionally. Notice I added an "er" to soft and stiff like you used the "-ish". As far as what ski? Well, the used market is fickle so scour Craigslist and maybe someone here has some older skis that they grew out of. @Dwight is at a Play it Again sports, he could keep an eye out.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
"Soft" is relative. I would consider something that is softer and more balanced longitudinally for ease but stiffer, torsionally. Notice I added an "er" to soft and stiff like you used the "-ish". As far as what ski? Well, the used market is fickle so scour Craigslist and maybe someone here has some older skis that they grew out of. @Dwight is at a Play it Again sports, he could keep an eye out.

Thanks Phil — +1 on torsional stiffness. I should mention this is eastern skiing.

I have an old pair of Dynastar Legend 4800s I'd give him. They don't have a ton of snow time, maybe 35 days, but they need base work (including a weld near one edge) and the bindings would need replacement (they're Marker rental bindings pulled from a pair of Olins). They're not the most modern-looking skis out there, though.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would think an all-mountain ski with a waist around 80 to 85 would be where I would look. Something like a Fischer Motive or Rossi Experience. For the east, you do want something with a hard snow bias as most of your time is on firm surfaces.

FWIW I had a pair of Legend 8000s back in the day. Never impressed with their performance on firm New England surfaces. I wouldn't spend money to put new bindings on those 4800s.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'd thought of the Experience. I liked the 88s I demoed — maybe a bit wide for the purpose, and the 84s fall off some. I'll look at the Motive, too. Thanks.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Any interest in a 1st gen Brahma with nice tops sheets and perfect bases? I have a pair with a perfect world cup tune on the bases, no chips on the tops and Griffons set up for a 316ish to 326 BSL.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds a bit like my first purchase, and I'm on Atomic Nomads... Maybe an older model there - the Blackeye or Smoke (non-Ti unless he's skis fast and aggressive). I also looked at the Dynastar Powertracks, and Rossignol Experience line. Any of those in an 75-85 waist makes for an easy turning, solid all-mountain ski in the east, IMO.

Not sure if you can find any that would fit in that price though...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Possibly, possibly . . . price is right, anyway.

IIRC, @KevinF campaigned Waveflex for quite a few years in the NE :D

FWIW I think the 4800 in a 175cmish would make a competent rock ski for someone his size. Herself loved hers - and I heard about it several times when I swapped off her pair. She hasn't been that happy on a frontside ski until we got her VWerks Codes.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
IIRC, @KevinF campaigned Waveflex for quite a few years in the NE :D

FWIW I think the 4800 in a 175cmish would make a competent rock ski for someone his size. Herself loved hers - and I heard about it several times when I swapped off her pair. She hasn't been that happy on a frontside ski until we got her VWerks Codes.

I skied two or three pairs of Elan's into the ground, but I haven't been on an Elan in a long, long time now. I don't know how the modern variations compare to the ones I used years ago. Elan dealers / demos became impossible to find, so...

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Sounds a bit like my first purchase, and I'm on Atomic Nomads... Maybe an older model there - the Blackeye or Smoke (non-Ti unless he's skis fast and aggressive). I also looked at the Dynastar Powertracks, and Rossignol Experience line. Any of those in an 75-85 waist makes for an easy turning, solid all-mountain ski in the east, IMO.

Not sure if you can find any that would fit in that price though...

Thanks, D — I found some Blackeyes at a good price (Ti, b/c I think he can handle them), and also a pair of Powertrack 89s. Now we'll see what's what.

Sponsor

Staff online