• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Michigan to Whiteface/MRG/Stowe.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to New England. I'm finishing up a trip in Vermont today with buddies. Tally: one frigid day of alpine, one frigid day on snowshoes, one torrential rain day playing cards, three frigid days skate skiing on ice chips, and one day skate skiing on actual snow in normal temps (~20F), which I hope is today. Alpine basically unavailable Weds - Fri due to wind and then rain and then ice. Busts out Zillow again.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Beans or no beans, I hope the snow improves your weekend at Stowe. The radar looks better there than Killington, although snow is falling here on the mountain.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome to New England. I'm finishing up a trip in Vermont today with buddies. Tally: one frigid day of alpine, one frigid day on snowshoes, one torrential rain day playing cards, three frigid days skate skiing on ice chips, and one day skate skiing on actual snow in normal temps (~20F), which I hope is today. Alpine basically unavailable Weds - Fri due to wind and then rain and then ice. Busts out Zillow again.
Our group of four got stuck on the Syke Express for 40 minutes on Monday, so scored 4 free lift tickets for our visitors from PA. We skied a bit after, but just couldn't warm up and get into a groove. Thursday here was a nice day of springish skiing, so we had one good day for them. We didn't ski yesterday, but our friend is a kickboxing instructor and took us through one of her aerobic workouts.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well heck. My brother-in-law in NJ has been battling a particularly vicious form of cancer, and last night took a turn for the worse. So we bailed out of the six-mile backup headed up to Stowe, and are headed down to try to be of some comfort to him and my sister. Thanks to everyone who advised me on the trip, I'm definitely gonna have to come back in a future season.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ Sorry to hear that. I wish him well, and you take care. Thanks for the trip report. When you come back, maybe some of us forum denizens can hook up with you and make a few turns with ya.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Oh dear. When it rains, it pours. I guess it's good that you happen to be reasonably close to NJ. Best wishes!

Jjgold

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I live in Bloomfield Hills. Took my kids to Whiteface and Lake Placid about 5 years ago via through Canada. Weather was fair but we all had a total blast. I would love to hit Whiteface after a storm. My kids still talk favorably about that trip and they have skied Colorado and Jackson Hole as well.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone for your prayers. He's in hospice, and about as comfortable as one could expect. Thank God for good nurses. I'm back home, but expect to be making the drive again before long. *sad*

Some final notes on the trip:

Mad River Lodge - the parking lot is fine gravel and doors to the rooms are right along the drip line of the roof, so in rainy weather it's a bit messy. The exterior doors lead to a short carpeted hallway with a room on either side, so most of what you track in doesn't make it to the room. There's no carpet in the room. These things didn't bother me, but I mention them in case they might bother someone else.

Stowe Motel and Snowdrift - another place I'd go back to, my wife would probably like newer and fancier digs but it was clean and the water was hot. @KevinF , thanks for the recommendation; I'll have to wait for the next trip to try the pizza at Plecasso.

Vermont plowing and salting - it seems to me that salting the interstates only after there's been an accident, and only just before the accident site, rather misses the point.

White River Junction - Phnom Penh Sandwich Station is excellent. The lobby of River Roost Brewery smells amazing, I don't drink any more so that's all I can tell you other than that my buddy made a special stop to pick up about ten cases.

Aberdeen and Matawan, NJ - I always stop at Livoti's Old World Market and at Bagel Time. Also, Manhattan Special Espresso Soda is the BEST; unfortunately they don't have it in 2-liters and you can't mail order the quarts, only the 12-oz bottles.

NJ E-ZPass - If you don't have a pass and go through an unmanned toll station, you cannot go to the website and pay the toll. You MUST wait until they send you a bill: a separate bill for each station, each with a thirty to fifty dollar administrative fee tacked on. My nephew says that you don't have to pay the admin fee, but they don't make that fact immediately obvious; looks like you have to fill out Section B on the back of the bill and send it in along with a check for the amount of the toll. And, of course, trying to speak with someone there is a total waste of time.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vermont plowing and salting - it seems to me that salting the interstates only after there's been an accident, and only just before the accident site, rather misses the point.
:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January