• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-80s (waist, not year) Women's Ski Recco?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Sadly, Tahoe has not been blessed with snow this December, yet I have skied about 10 days so far. I started the season on my rock skis (2013 Nordica Nemesis, 154, 98 waist) as there are lots of snipers (hidden rocks/roots) out there, but I got new skis (2017 Nordica Santa Ana, 161, 100 waist) at the end of last season and I was anxious to ski on them. I used them for a couple days at Squaw and then took them to Rose yesterday where I skied over a couple rocks. Eek. Dropped them off for repair and tune and returned to my rock skis.

Got to Squaw today and with the warm weather, the snow cover is a bit worse. Decided, what the hell, I'll demo some skis more appropriate to the snow conditions - something with a mid-80s waist. FYI, I'm 5'1", 115 lbs, advanced skier.

I tried the Volkl Yumi 154 (123/84/104, 14.6m) first - very fun ski and super easy to turn, but felt a little short to me. And I didn't have a lot of confidence at high speed.

Then I tried the Volkl Yumi 161 (123/84/104, 15.8m) - I liked this one as well - and the longer length felt better to me, more stable at speed. But I didn't love it - it seemed just "fine".

Next up was the Head Total Joy 158 (132/85/112, 12.7m) - Wow, really liked this one. A lot. It felt like it skied fast and it was stable at speed. Super fun. Love the short turning radius.

I was wondering what other skis I should potentially consider. I don't really know this size grouping very well, so don't know what's out there. @Tricia, any recommendations? I know you have been testing out a bunch of DPS skis lately. What are your thoughts on the Foundation Uschi 82?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dang. How did I miss this?
I Knowing how you ski, I am not surprised the you like the Total Joy.
I wish I had a shorter length in the Uschi 82 for you to try. I really think you'd like that!
Another ski you may really like is the Blizzard Cheyenne (or currently the Black Pearl 78)

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Have you tried the new Nordica Navigator? Seems like Nordica clicks for you, I like the Nordica a lot. Maybe check out the Fischer My Mountain too, I think it is an 84 waist.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@Tricia - I don't know much about the Total Joy - what kind of ski is it know as? Do you know any shops in Truckee/Tahoe City that demo DPS skis? I can probably (hopefully) find a place that demos the Black Pearl 78, though it may be a little narrower than I was looking for -- or the Nordica Astral 88, though that may be a little wider that I was looking for. It's a Goldilocks search.

@epic - The Navigator is too long for me (shortest is 165) but I do see there is a women's version in the Astral 88. I was hoping to get something a bit narrower - there's an 84 width, but I'm worried it might be too soft. I don't know anything about Fischer skis, but will take a look.

Anyone know anything about the Black Crow Vertis Birdie? That looks interesting as well.
https://www.black-crows.com/vertis-birdie-skis

Thanks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its possible that we'll have a demo of the Uschi 82 in the next few weeks.
Another consideration is the Head Kore 93??
It comes in snack sizes just for people like you. :D

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Its possible that we'll have a demo of the Uschi 82 in the next few weeks.
Another consideration is the Head Kore 93??
It comes in snack sizes just for people like you. :D

Ha! I just stopped by Blue Zone and chatted with @Philpug about skis to demo. They might mount up a Kastle MX84 (I think that was the one) in my size once it slows a bit more. I checked Granite Chief since they stock DPS and Black Crows, but they don't have anything under 90 in those skis.

I also checked in at Start Haus to see what they have to demo and the woman there (Valerie) said they only have the Head Super Joy, which she recommended to try, but said it wasn't super poppy (which I like). She also recommended the Stockli Stormrider 85 (Phil said not to bother), the Kastle MX74 (though not sure I want to go that narrow - but she said it was poppier than the Super Joy). and the Kastle FX85, but that might be more all-mountain than carver.

I still want get out on the Renouns, hopefully some time in Feb. And Phil said you may bring home some midget skis from Utah. Yay for shorties!!! He recommended the 18-19 version of the Uschi over the 17-18. And he also said there's a narrower one coming out in the Alchemist line.

I do want something that carves well in the Tahoe snow, but not to the detriment of mogul runs or skiing through the crud at the end of the day. So many options!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blue Zone also has the Head Super Joy. To give you an idea how good that ski is for a carving ski, I bought a pair the first year they were out. I liked it better than the Total Joy, but you were looking for something in the 80mm range so I didn't mention it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica also has an Astral 84. I liked it a LOT last February when we were testing.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Blue Zone also has the Head Super Joy. To give you an idea how good that ski is for a carving ski, I bought a pair the first year they were out. I liked it better than the Total Joy, but you were looking for something in the 80mm range so I didn't mention it.

I guess I was just making the assumption that mid-80s is the right choice for something that will work well (at least better than my current skis), but that will also plow through the crud and and bumps that build up at the end of the end of those groomer days. Something somewhat stiff, that can hold an edge, and can still pop around a mogul at the end of the day. I'm starting a list. ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I was just making the assumption that mid-80s is the right choice for something that will work well (at least better than my current skis), but that will also plow through the crud and and bumps that build up at the end of the end of those groomer days. Something somewhat stiff, that can hold an edge, and can still pop around a mogul at the end of the day. I'm starting a list. ogsmile
If I were going to get a ski for these conditions, I'd think of something that is in the 80's range +/- a few mm.
That's why I put the Cheyenne/Black Pearl 78 on the list.
Its 78mm under foot, but has a lot of the same playful tenacity of the Black Pearl. I love love loved it.
The Super Joy is in the same boat, but a little more on the serious carving side.

*Lately I've been skiing the Uschi 82 mostly because its the narrowest ski I have.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd add the Dynastar Legend W 84 or 88 to your list if it's available. They run a little stiffer compared to skis with a similar waist, and I feel like the wood + fiberglass combo is a little livelier than the wood + metal in the volkls.

As for the Black Crows, I haven't tried the Vertis, but helped my friend find the Ova Birdies (their 85mm option from last year) and she's loved them for their stability (albeit, it's in comparison to a Vantage 95 that tends to be a little soft and was definitely on the short side for her).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My born in the mid 80s wife has about 10 days on some 165cm Salomon XDR 84. 5'5 130lb.

She likes them so much she stopped skiing her 163cm Blizzard Vivas 7.7 and her 166cm BLizzard Brahmas.

According to her the are more stable on hardpack, and more damp than either of those skis(Flax and rubber), have better edge grip than the Brahmas due to a longer running length. They also better in crud in powder for her, which begs the question why are we even holding on the 166 Brahma? While the 84 shortest length is 165, and the 80 same shape just scale down. The 80 comes in a 155 and 162 and i think it would be a good option for you. It also not super pricey.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@laine
I live across the country from you, but right now we are probably skiing similar conditions. Some hardpack, a bit of powder and crud, and some bumps. My go to skis in these conditions are 78 underfoot, so don’t be afraid to try that width if the other characteristics of the ski suit you. (Mine are ID Ones, not found in shops, but a metal-free, all wood ski most likely will have similar pop and crud busting ability that you want). Sounds like you’ve got lots of options out there to try.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Looks like Powder House at Heavenly has the Black Crows Vertis Birdie in a 159 - so I can check it out there. I just need to figure out when I'm headed to South Lake.

I hope tracking down the Blizzard Black Pearl 78 will be a bit easier....

Sponsor

Staff online