• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Minnesota Skiing Crowded?

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm contemplating a quick weekend ski trip in MN with my 4 year old son. He's a solid green run skier out west so we'd probably be skiing greens and blues in the Midwest. My only concern is crowding, especially wanting to keep my 4 year old safe. We'd go either on MLK weekend or the folloiwng weekend. I have skied at a few MN areas but local intel with any of the below would be helpful.
  • I have been speculating that ski areas near MSP are likely the be the most crowded. Is that accurate?
  • Would mt Kato or Coffee Mill be far enough away from MSP to avoid big crowds?
  • Giants Ridge looks like a nice mountain for my son. Spirit could work too. Maybe crowds are low that far north?
  • Any other areas I should be considering? The UP is too far. As is central/northern WI. Lutsen could work but it's far and likely more crowded. Chesnut/sundown could work but Chicago likely makes these places crowded.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
I spent the 17/18 season learning to ski at Giants Ridge and it was never that crowded all year that I can remember. I got 50 some days that season and went on weekends, holidays, and after work. Wait times at the lift were pretty short.
I now am closer to the cities and frequently go to Trollhaugen and Wild mountain. Holidays and weekends are definitely crowded there. I've only gone to the other resorts near MSP like once a year on random days so I can't say much on the crowds.
I can't speak on the actual holiday as I've always had to work that day.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Avoid Afton Alps. I haven't been in years, but that's mostly because I've heard too many horror stories from fellow locals about 10+ minute liftlines for its 30-second runs.

I skied Buck Hill last President's Day (Monday) and was surprised that all the lines were short. Not ski up, but no more than 4-5 chairs. Buck Hill has a reputation for being one of the more crowded hills around here, because it's the second nearest to downtown.

@Slim should have more intel on Spirit crowds. I've only skied there on off weekdays, and it was a ghost town.

Also paging @focker.

As far as terrain, Lutsen is the best you will find. (770 ft of vertical) Spirit probably comes in second at 500 ft, followed by Giants Ridge at 400 ft. The terrain with the best reputation near the Twin Cities would be Welch, at about 290 ft. of vertical. and a "back bowl" area.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where are you coming from for this trip? That would help determine which hills would be considered 'too far' of a drive.

For example, the UP resorts are almost exactly the same driving distance from the TC metro as Giants Ridge or Lutsen would be. Obviously Lutsen is the best of these 5-6 hills by far.

As far as the hills in the metro go. Welch is usually the least crowded, as it's the furthest away. Its also the best of the bunch IMO. Afton is easily the most crowded and I would avoid it. It's also the most expensive (thanks Vail!)... Trollhaugen and Wild can get busy, but never that bad. I find Wild almost never has crazy long life lines. Trollhaugen just put in a new 4 seat chair lift that should really help cut down weekend lift lines a bunch.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lutsen is usually not that crowded in my experience, but I haven’t been there on a holliday. It’s pretty big, acreage wise, so I don’t think it would ever become too crowded on the slopes. The lines might get a bit longer. They have a fun green blue hill/chair (Ullr Mtn) that is actually fun skiing.

Spirit is not usually crowded on the runs, but the lift lines can get a bit longer. A lot shorter drive though.

Giants Ridge is nice. I don’t know how busy it gets on holidays though.

However, driving with a 4 year old, drive time might be your biggest deciding factor.

Last edited:
TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the tips everyone and keep them coming please.
Where are you coming from for this trip? That would help determine which hills would be considered 'too far' of a drive.

For example, the UP resorts are almost exactly the same driving distance from the TC metro as Giants Ridge or Lutsen would be. Obviously Lutsen is the best of these 5-6 hills by far.
Central IA. Thankfully my kids are good with long road trips but I'm trying not to get too crazy. I'm already pushing it with Giants Ridge and it appears the UP is an extra hour than GR. I've been to the Ironwood areas before and we could have a lot of fun there but I think the drive is too far. Also, I'd have to rely on the lifties to help my 4 year load with the center pole lifts that are common there which might be a concern.

Lutsen is usually not that crowded in my experience, but I haven’t been there on a holliday. It’s pretty big, acreage wise, so I don’t think it would ever become too crowded on the slopes. The lines might get a bit longer. They have a fun green blue hill/chair (Ullr Mtn) that is actually fun skiing.
Distance, crowding, center pole lifts (Moose might be too steep, not sure) and price make Lutsen unlikely. I have been there before and it's cool. We'll likely got back when the kids are older.

+1 to don't rule out Wisconsin...
I'm not but what makes sense from Central IA? Whitecap is too far. Grante, Devils head and Cascade are about the same as Giants Ridge and a lot farther than MSP areas. I've been to Grainte/DH/Cascade and are all likely to busy so I think that's a pass. I considered La Crosse combined with welch and/or coffee mill but its small and greens require a road to avoid steeps. Are there other WI areas I should consider?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly with your kids as young as they are I'd just go to Welch Village vs driving the extra 3.5-4 hours to Giants Ridge. You're gaining 175' of vert by driving all that distance and honestly with a 4 year old vert doesn't matter. Welch has nice lifts, a dedicated lift for the beginner area and a couple nice lodges to use. Parking is close to the lodge also and they never get too crowded. If I were you, I'd just go to Welch.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly with your kids as young as they are I'd just go to Welch Village vs driving the extra 3.5-4 hours to Giants Ridge. You're gaining 175' of vert by driving all that distance and honestly with a 4 year old vert doesn't matter. Welch has nice lifts, a dedicated lift for the beginner area and a couple nice lodges to use. Parking is close to the lodge also and they never get too crowded. If I were you, I'd just go to Welch.
Yeah, Welch or other ski areas nearby make a lot of sense logistically. I was thinking Welch would be pretty crowded on a holiday weekend but maybe not... I was looking into mt Kato and Coffee Mill as alternatives that might be less crowded. I have also skied Welch before and a new area has some appeal. We could ski more than one area on our trip.

One of the appeals of Giants Ridge is 80% of the runs look mellow enough for my son. Welch and some of the other areas appear to be a bit steeper.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, Welch or other ski areas nearby make a lot of sense logistically. I was thinking Welch would be pretty crowded on a holiday weekend but maybe not... I was looking into mt Kato and Coffee Mill as alternatives that might be less crowded. I have also skied Welch before and a new area has some appeal. We could ski more than one area on our trip.

One of the appeals of Giants Ridge is 80% of the runs look mellow enough for my son. Welch and some of the other areas appear to be a bit steeper.

Welch definitely has some steeper runs. Their black runs are steeper than most in the metro area. They do have several nice mellow green runs however.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI we ended up skiing Mt Kato and Coffee Mill over MLK weekend and had a great time. Despite the holiday, the slopes were very uncrowded with only minor lift lines, if any. Kato is a cool hill with many runs but pretty limited vertical. Coffee has an impressive 400ish vert and very empty runs thanks to a high number or runs compared to only two double lifts. Both areas are well run.

I often enjoy bigger areas (west and midwest) and I forget how much better smaller areas are for kids. Parking slopeside, much less crowded, friendly atmosphere., bathrooms on ground level, plenty of tables, etc. These logistics make things so much easier.

I'm likely to make similar trip later this season and/or next. A few options I'm considering for next time:
1. Mt La Crosse & Bruce Mound
2. Sundown/Chestnut
3. Giants ridge (downside is travel time)
4. Welch, Afton or other MSP areas

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I haven't set an edge at Giant's Ridge since 1985, but I grew up there, so it gets my vote for your return, @Nathanvg!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The closer you get to the Twin Cities, the more crowded they get.

As for our west. Checkout Pajarito in New Mexico.

Sponsor