• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The interesting thing is, Phil and I both like mountain biking, but we like different terrain. He likes to ride Peavine because he can leave from our house and get a solid ride in, but I'm not a fan of Peavine after spring riding. Too hot for me.
I like to ride trails that have more trees, shade and single track near the lake or Truckee River, which I do quite often with my girlfriends. It will be easier for me to load this bike to drive to those trail heads.
For @Philpug I think he'll get more riding in this year because @Andy Mink bought my old bike from me and will be riding from the house with Phil, up Peavine and other areas around here, right from the house.
@Tom K. I will ride with @Tricia, she doesn't want to ride with me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1000 miles, and you only burned 307 calories? Those electric bikes are da bomb!!
It took longer than expected for someone to catch that ;) I was just over 3 miles in for this ride.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was off to Eagle County today. First, pick up a PC for cloning and upgrading. Second visit GI doctor to review progress with new drug. I was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis a couple years ago. The latest drug which I started 2 months ago has been very effective. Third, ride in Eagle: Pool and Ice Rink Loop. This was my first ride west of Vail (in CO). I've ridden Two Elks from Vail pass and continued on to Minturn as well as up and over to the Vail DH park. Also across the highway in the Red Sandstone area.

The MTBProject directions were a bit vague for the beginning part through the neighborhoods given the lack of signage on the ground. I made the connection with the help of a rider that was finishing his loop and using one of the alternate parking spots. The climb up was very pleasant single track through scattered trees and wildflowers.

IMG_20210607_111511.jpg

IMG_20210607_112013.jpg

IMG_20210607_112001.jpg

IMG_20210607_111917.jpg

IMG_20210607_111903.jpg

IMG_20210607_113146.jpg

IMG_20210607_113243.jpg

IMG_20210607_113152.jpg

IMG_20210607_113155.jpg

All these photos are on Boneyard, going up.

The descent would have been spectacular on the Pool and Ice Rink trail, but it was heavily beat up by people skidding and creating potholes and washboard. Everything was super dry and beginning to get dusty. If I were to ride here again, I'd go up and down Boneyard (it passes a cemetery) and skip the rough flow section. "Eagle's best downhill flow trail" doesn't hold a candle to what we have in Summit. Our (Summit) trail crews and trail builders are among the best.

strava323233599384279102.jpg

I finished my Eagle County 'tour' with a Subway lunch and a costly Costco trip in Gypsum. The whole day I was testing the new fairing on my truck with hopes of improving my mileage which declined when I put on my DIY truck shell.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, with the purchase of the new-to-me Cannondale Habit Neo, I started looking around at "stuff". Overwhelming! This is going to be more time consuming than skiing! Down the rabbit hole I go!

Joel

Having fun
Skier
So, I manage to get a few rides in this season so far. Took a picture to contrast winter and summer riding, same place, one while riding my Farley and one on my HD5.

20210608_052907.jpg
20210319_092725.jpg

Not a mountain bike, but finally got up in my glider after two years of not flying, between the fires last year and just bad timing the year before, my glider sat not flying for two years.
It was nice to get up in it.

20210603_112701.jpg
20210603_123748.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I manage to get a few rides in this season so far. Took a picture to contrast winter and summer riding, same place, one while riding my Farley and one on my HD5.

View attachment 135479 View attachment 135480

Not a mountain bike, but finally got up in my glider after two years of not flying, between the fires last year and just bad timing the year before, my glider sat not flying for two years.

View attachment 135481 View attachment 135482
That looks like fun!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, with the purchase of the new-to-me Cannondale Habit Neo, I started looking around at "stuff". Overwhelming! This is going to be more time consuming than skiing! Down the rabbit hole I go!
You're welcome!

FWIW I remember two years ago, I was visiting your camp site with both of our Cannondale Triggers. You got on Phil's bike for a quick tour around the stie and @AKMINK came out of your camper pointing at me saying. "No!. You are not allowed get him excited about another expensive habit."

Little did she know, two years later you would actually buy a Habit!

Again...You're welcome!
bikecrash

Now, as for @Joel's glider.... you really wanna get Ann re-evaluating your habits??

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 135479 View attachment 135480

View attachment 135481 View attachment 135482
I go taken up in a glider 3 years ago. I got sick. Lame. I was loving it until I got that woozy feeling.

My altitude climbing game is off this season so far. (You lowlanders will laugh.) I've only been climbing at 5000 feet instead of 6500+. I rode at 8500 yesterday at Powder Mountain and I could really feel it! I'm racing there in a month, so I need to get on my game. It saves a lot of gas not driving to the resorts to ride, but my fitness suffers a bit from it. The new trails out my front door are just so nice and convenient, though.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I go taken up in a glider 3 years ago. I got sick. Lame. I was loving it until I got that woozy feeling.

My altitude climbing game is off this season so far. (You lowlanders will laugh.) I've only been climbing at 5000 feet instead of 6500+. I rode at 8500 yesterday at Powder Mountain and I could really feel it! I'm racing there in a month, so I need to get on my game. It saves a lot of gas not driving to the resorts to ride, but my fitness suffers a bit from it. The new trails out my front door are just so nice and convenient, though.
Or you could just do Jim's Martyr Climb & ride to the trailhead :ogbiggrin: ogwink
The road from my place in Utah climbs 3K’ in 5 miles to Powder Mountain with an average 14% grade. I ride it occasionally if I’m feeling guilty about being too lazy. I call it The Martyr Ride, nothing fun about it. Did it once on my road bike and was so afraid that I would blow a tire from overheating the rims on the way down that I said never again, I use my mountain bike with disc brakes.
It was the finish for a stage on the tour of Utah a few years ago, those guys do it in about half the time as me & probably enjoy it at the end of a 100+ mile day in the middle of summer. One man’s suffering is another’s joy.
View attachment 135059

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

So will us highlanders. :duck:
;) :beercheer:

Best of luck with your upcoming race(s). I'll admit that I was taxed racing in ME where virtually all of the races started with climbs right out of the start as they were typically at ski areas.

My rides start at 9700'. It was a real pleasure to ride at 6700' and 7700' feet the other day in Eagle, apart from the 85° F temperature and noon day sun.

No ride yesterday but I did work with SCOMBA on the CT (Colorado Trail) rebuilding some heavily abused turns.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So will us highlanders. :duck:
;) :beercheer:

Best of luck with your upcoming race(s). I'll admit that I was taxed racing in ME where virtually all of the races started with climbs right out of the start as they were typically at ski areas.

My rides start at 9700'. It was a real pleasure to ride at 6700' and 7700' feet the other day in Eagle, apart from the 85° F temperature and noon day sun.

No ride yesterday but I did work with SCOMBA on the CT (Colorado Trail) rebuilding some heavily abused turns.
Yes, that's really high! It really does make a difference.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
No thanks! The high schoolers can keep that one (and you!)
do the highschoolers do that one? If not, that is actually a really good idea for them. The road has very little vehicle traffic and they could downhill on DMI which probably has no one coming up. It would most certainly get them in shape & help keep them out of everyone else’s hair and avoid the continual conflicts I am hearing about. :huh:

80° last week, 54° today! Some recent ride photos...
631F07A8-3F61-4E3E-B3FE-A1BE2976CBDF.jpeg

771C3224-CCE4-4DC7-8C1E-1269646521E6.jpeg

4AE7AA0E-449D-432B-820D-573AE9AC4F75.jpeg

33F48B86-3B00-4143-8080-2F99D915BB90.jpeg
8C1C24F6-D2FE-4FA6-9C55-3F9A2E64966F.jpeg
C24DADC3-9090-4B98-BC4E-385669B69746.jpeg
60566C01-AB08-451B-A88D-555104278F24.jpeg

33D54B8D-2302-4262-9091-E5F75DFDB71F.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
do the highschoolers do that one? If not, that is actually a really good idea for them. The road has very little vehicle traffic and they could downhill on DMI which probably has no one coming up. It would most certainly get them in shape & help keep them out of everyone else’s hair and avoid the continual conflicts I am hearing about. :huh:

80° last week, 54° today! Some recent ride photos...
View attachment 135530

View attachment 135528

View attachment 135529

View attachment 135523 View attachment 135524 View attachment 135526 View attachment 135527

View attachment 135525
Yes, the high schoolers can earn a special jersey for riding that plus Lewis and Francis plus one or two others. That’ll get them fit for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online