• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member from Bangkok, Thailand

ArtKT

Booting up
Skier
Hi,

Though Thailand is not known for winter sports, but I have been deeply passionate about skiing since I took it up again in the winter of 2014. I have skied before then, but it was with my prep school during half terms, so I recalled that it was a very different experience.

Since then, and before COVID, I usually go on 2-4 ski trips a year, mostly to Japan but sometimes to Europe, and often to Australia and NZ during the summer holidays.

I am 44 years old, have 2 young kids, 4 years old and 5 months old. The elder one has already been on 2 ski trips to Japan since COVID has subsided (to my greatest relief, he loved it), and I look forward to introducing it the the younger one when she's old enough. I am an intermediate level skier.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Do you own your own equipment or rent when you travel? I imagine not too many skis travel through Bangkok airport.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome to this wonderful band of reprobates. We will be depending on you to raise our awareness of your part of the world.
What are the popular recreational activities in Thailand; biking, golf, surfing?

TS
A

ArtKT

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! Do you own your own equipment or rent when you travel? I imagine not too many skis travel through Bangkok airport.
Surprisingly, a lot of Thais do travel with our own skis and snowboard! I own 2 pairs of skis, Kastle CPM82 and DPS Foundation 106. Both my wife and my son also have thier own skis that we travel with, but we plan to leave them at our place in Hokkaido, so we will all need to get something new.

Actually, the reason I joined this forum is to ask for recommendations for new skis to improve my skiing with! I already created a thread in the hardware forum, so would appreciate any feedback.

TS
A

ArtKT

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to this wonderful band of reprobates. We will be depending on you to raise our awareness of your part of the world.
What are the popular recreational activities in Thailand; biking, golf, surfing?
Well, I guess that depends on your personal preferences and social circle. I did play golf since I was 9 years old, but frankly the heat is too much for me. A lot of people do like surfing, and diving too, but again I am not so fond of being out in the sun given how hot and humid it is. I have been enjoying very early morning runs in the park though. I think everything is available here, even skiing as we have a small outlet that has dry ski mats on an adjustable conveyor system.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ArtKT
super to see new folks on the forum. I miss the new intros but was setting up new PC so the forum popped up.

My eldest child was super fortunate to do a 10day school trip to Thailand. She had an experience of a life there.

did you get introduced to skiing at your prep school or where? Always fun to hear what triggered the ski bug ... I had never considered skiing until my wife announced we'd do a yearly trip .. I was just over 35 ... I loved the outdoors so it just took off from there. I'm no expert but happy as can be just tooling around and trying new runs.

Sponsor

Staff online