• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Northern MT/ID Independent Ski Area Recommendations

TS
T

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Made it to Blacktail today. Was cold, but it had a solid 6"-9" of nice cold powder and nobody on the mountain. I would guess there were maybe 25 people total skiing today.

We ran laps most of the day through the glades off Thunderhead chair. Had a really good time and no complaints. Much better than fighting the crowds at WMR earlier in the week. Thanks for the recommendation to come here!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Much better than fighting the crowds at WMR earlier in the week.

Hopefully Ski Magazine reads that for their next rankings!

Glad to hear you enjoyed Blacktail.

I only managed a couple hours today before my toes were gone and it looks like its going to get even colder the next few days.

I hear Tahoe doesnt get this cold and they get several feet of snow every night….

TS
T

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I hear Tahoe doesnt get this cold and they get several feet of snow every night….
Today was seriously cold. First time in a couple years my feet got cold with Intuition liners. Definitely worth it though. We never get powder and empty mountains in Colorado so this was a treat.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Late to the party but I highly recommend Great Divide Ski Area near Helena, MT. Great variety of terrain, short lift lines, and excellent staff in all areas.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Side rant - can we please change the name back to Big Mountain?
Why? Just nostalgia?

I'm curious, because I've only known it as Whitefish, which seems like an inordinately better name. (Just about anything would be I think.)

TS
T

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Because everyone that grew up in the area knows it as Big Mountain and that is what the local community that founded it named it in 1947 when it opened. The only reason they changed the name was for marketing purposes. Would be like Cooper changing it's name to Frisco Mountain Resort to sell a few more lift tickets or (allegedly) to make itself desirable to a large corporation to purchase.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We were confused continually with Big Sky, especially as it's the same state. I'd personally have preferred Hellroaring, but I think they were trying to mollify the town about the change. Certainly it was a marketing decision, just like calling it "Big Mountain" was a marketing decision.

Sponsor

Staff online