• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old bindings + Good Samaritan shoutout

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
First, proof that the world is a good place. I went to buy some 2009 183cm volkl gotamas today and the amazing seller decided he didn't want to be a seller, but a giver. And he gave me the skis for free. If your reading this, Thank you yet again!

Anyways, I went to adjust to bindings to try and get my boot but I will need a remount. The bindings are 2009 marker 12.0 free bindings. Before I go pay to get them remounted, is there anything wrong with using a 8 year old binding like this?

And for bonus points, if anyone happens to be familiar with mount points for 2009 volkl gotamas, I'd love to hear your input.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 12.0 Free were never designed to go on a ski as wide as a Gotama and after almost a decade, they will have loosened up and not be as laterally strong as you would need for that ski to perform at it's best. (This is the same issue with the Salomon Z10/12). I would suggest updating the binding to something that was designed to take the lateral stress of a wider ski.

As far as the mount point, shouldn't it be marked on the top? If not, it can be referenced with the current binding and the boot it was mounted for.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
The 12.0 Free were never designed to go on a ski as wide as a Gotama and after almost a decade, they will have loosened up and not be as laterally strong as you would need for that ski to perform at it's best. (This is the same issue with the Salomon Z10/12). I would suggest updating the binding to something that was designed to take the lateral stress of a wider ski.

As far as the mount point, shouldn't it be marked on the top? If not, it can be referenced with the current binding and the boot it was mounted for.

Yes, the mounting points are given. There is one called boot center and one called true center, however true center is clearly not in the middle of the ski. I did some research though and think +1 from boot center is what I want.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a former Gotama owner...+1 is a good choice.

and just get a new binding....lots of better more current choices.

Sponsor

Staff online