• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review ON3P Kartel 116 long term'ish review

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
About me

Hight: 5’ 9"
Weight: 200 lbs
Ability: I can ski just about the whole mountain with good competence, small to medium drops, no bumps mainly due to the complete lack of them where I ski.
Style: Fast long turns in the open, small jibs.

Test conditions: Harpack with icy spots, packed powder, breakable crust, DEEP powder.

I switched up my choice of powder ski from the venerable Billygoat to ON3P's consolidation of it's Kartel 114, and Jeffery 122 in to the Kartel 116. Why, because while I enjoy simplicity and a basic personality with my daily driver I occasionaly like to switch up my pow ski's. Honestly my intent was to pick up a Jeffery 122. ON3P however was sold out of that model. Scott also convinced me to size down to the 186. I tend to take advice from the people that design the ski's. Mount was on the suggested line. Another thing I believe the designer before anyone else on.

Construction is typical ON3P. 1.8mm sintered bases that are tough and thick, 2.5x2.5 edges. Bamboo core, sidewall construction etc. And some of the most stringent QC you will see.

Actual review part: Obviously these are powder ski's. But my memory of the old ON3P caylor was how stable and entertaining they can be on groomers making long turns. Being 186cm over 191cm, and utilizing an elliptical sidecut. They were a bit more active, but still very stable. It took me back to the original Jeffery 110, and my first interaction with an elliptical sidecut. I was also used to skiing sticks that wanted to be driven from the front. These are looking for a more centered stance. I don't have a problem adapting, however YMMV.

Float in powder is what you would expect from a 116 waisted ski. My main complaint from the old Caylor was that the tail had too much float in it, and that would occasionaly trip me up, especially in heavier PNW "powder". This is eliminated in the newer ON3P jib ski's. Turn initiation is exceptionally easy, in all soft conditions. One of my favorite things about the old Caylor was how it handled soft piles in skied out slopes. The kartel is just as fun, an maybe it a bit more lively, in a good way.

Being a PNW resort skier means the goods don't necessary last, and the quality is rarely blower. So one of the reasons I tend to choose ON3P is that they design a stout ski that handles these conditions better than most brands I have been on. The Kartel is not AS powerful in crud as say a Billygoat or Wrenegade. But there is still a lot of power there. the addition of taper to the tips and tails has helped tremendously from being a ski that powers over the crud to one that can slice through. Making for a very stable ride when pointint it and going fast.

I had been second guessing my decision at the beginning of the season, and was even debating running back to the comfort of the Billygoat. But I will likely be finishing off my season on the Kartel. Though may go back to the BG next season, or simply adding it to the quiver. As I enjoy both ski's in different ways.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi. I've skied the Billy Goats and Kartel 116s on two groomer/chop/crud demo days only. There was also skied off ice late on one of those days. It seemed like the Goats were better for those conditions, but with a distinct, unusual feel on groomers, which I sort of liked. Better edgehold on such uneven, seemingly. The Goats were also good in mild bumps, in those conditions, for me.

Haven't been able to actually ski powder deeper than ~3" on either ski, but want to.

In your experience, what is the difference in feel of the two skis in powder? Is the Kartel just more of a jib ski?

TS
Ecimmortal

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi. I've skied the Billy Goats and Kartel 116s on two groomer/chop/crud demo days only. There was also skied off ice late on one of those days. It seemed like the Goats were better for those conditions, but with a distinct, unusual feel on groomers, which I sort of liked. Better edgehold on such uneven, seemingly. The Goats were also good in mild bumps, in those conditions, for me.

Haven't been able to actually ski powder deeper than ~3" on either ski, but want to.

In your experience, what is the difference in feel of the two skis in powder? Is the Kartel just more of a jib ski?

The Kartel is certainly more of a pogo stick compared to the BG, and more balanced in the air. But the Kartel lacks the front end float of the BG, and doesn't have the pivot skills that make the BG such an amazing tree ski. Both float real well obviusly, but differently.

Where would BGs win out? Thanks.

BG is the better directional ski obviously, and is more stable in crud, and has a much higher speed limit.

Sponsor

Staff online