• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Bike Orbea Rise eMTB

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used to think eMTBs were for sissies. I finally broke down and came over to the sissy side.

After 2.5yrs with long COVID got fed up with nearly passing out climbing short 1km climbs I used to do regular training repeats.

Found a new 2022 Orbea Rise full carbon Shimano SLX on deep discount.

The positives -
Playful, sorta like a heavy normal dual MTB. I tried the Trek Specialized Giant & Norco which guys I used to ride with have.
Also like the Pivot SL but way too expensive.
Has shortish chain stay & wheel base. Kinda handles & feels like a normal cross-country bike.
Light, decent battery pack - been able to ride 6 days 1-1.5 hrs about 65% on power, rest off, on intermediate single tracks on a single charge.
Light weight 20.05kg with everything shown in photo - saddle bag with spare tube, trail repair kit, clipped pedals fenders, water bottle, pump & computer
Price was right
Rides almost as playfully as my Ghost Asket carbon hardtail.

Critiques -
Still a pricey toy - I was forced to get it due to health & fitness conditions. As you get older you gotta rely on money & tech to keep up with the young bucks.
The indicator lights for power & battery levels is too basic but you get used to it, its of course very light.
Its got a 60nm motor but I think I could do with a 70-75nm motor, but definitely not the std 85nm on std ebikes.
Changed the std saddle to something softer, the std std is like a riding on a brick.
Replaced oversized handle bar with thinner narrower carbon & bar ends - more comfy better trail feel.
I think I could do with a 70-75Nm motor not the 60 on my Rise but not the std 85 on most std wt eMTBs.
Need to change the sorta slippery Maxxis for better tires on moist rooty rocky bits - dont bomb down hill any more but like to get back to playful brisk cross country trail riding on mostly intermediate to expert terrain. Suggestions welcome.

NB -
The fenders are home made from 3ring binder plastic secured with zip ties. - lighter cheaper than you can buy.
The pump is secured to the handle bars with zip tied mount extra secured with velco straps & alien double stick tape

Recommendation
Yes, for all ages, reasonably fit & with reasonably good bike handling skills who want a light eMTB with responsive handling.
Its basically a XC type bike. It can jump with preload and I have taken a 4ft drop jump into a gully, very sure & supple.
The 140mm travel is likely not enough for the crazy hair on fire down hiller types.

1697492496368.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found a new 2022 Orbea Rise full carbon Shimano SLX on deep discount.

Nice. Orbea makes great e-bikes. Yours has a Shimano ep801 motor that has been detuned from 80 or 85 nM to 60 nM.

I believe it's mechanically the same motor, so could be re-tuned to a bit more power. I'm sure the interweb owners' forum has something to say on that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The indicator lights for power & battery levels is too basic but you get used to it, its of course very light.
This is my knock in the weight savings area. @Tricia eCaliber has the Fazua system and the indicator is 4 lights and would have no idea how much each light's power is so you use the app on your phone ...which goes back to adding more weight. I really like my Bosch Kiox which has everything I need at the touch of a toggle. I like that is shows the percentage of battery left too.

With that said, the lighter bikes like the Rise and the new Trek are intriguing, my Habit Neo is now like an old pair of comfortable jeans.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is my knock in the weight savings area. @Tricia eCaliber has the Fazua system and the indicator is 4 lights and would have no idea how much each light's power is so you use the app on your phone ...which goes back to adding more weight. I really like my Bosch Kiox which has everything I need at the touch of a toggle. I like that is shows the percentage of battery left too.

With that said, the lighter bikes like the Rise and the new Trek are intriguing, my Habit Neo is now like an old pair of comfortable jeans.
When I turn my phone app on to connect to the Fazua Ride computer, it shows the % of battery

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fuel EX-e: Great motor, good weight, great display, and the best tactile feedback on the bar-mounted speed controller by far. :ogbiggrin:

TS
RoninSkier

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
When I turn my phone app on to connect to the Fazua Ride computer, it shows the % of battery
I think a 4 or 5 bar % battery left system is fine. An app to change torque power input would be nice. The 2023 Rise has a handle bar mounted meter.
The light is supposed to change color for amount of assist (which you can feel by both pedal & cadence feed back) - this needs to be improved.

Next mod is to retro fit a better power display.

Looking for 29X2.5 grippy tires, for wet roots & rocks, prices are nuts.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for 29X2.5 grippy tires, for wet roots & rocks, prices are nuts.

Hard to beat the grip of Maxxis 3C Maxx Grip tires on wet roots and rocks, but also hard to find that compound on any casing other than the very heavy DD (double down).

These two might serve you well (they’re OEM takeoffs in the middle of the road Maxxis rubber and casing):

Sponsor

Staff online