• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sea Sucker Bike Rack

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Anyone have experience using one of these for hauling bikes with a sedan? Good? Terrible?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have experience but there were ski racks with suction cups. My question is how much camber in the roof they can deal with. Most roofs aren't as flat as the counter the system was shown on.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
People on the bAudi forum swear by them. I purchased a TTRS, instead of a 911T or R8, jusy because I can fit a bike in back though.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
People on the bAudi forum swear by them. I purchased a TTRS, instead of a 911T or R8, jusy because I can fit a bike in back though.

Yes this is how I found it. Audi actually suggest them as well on their USA parts page for all A/S models (sedans).

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think they'd be good for boxes and such. My only concern would be with bikes..the leverage introduced by lateral forces..that was the weakness in the old Bic rack. However, if folks have been using them with no problems, awesome! It's an elegant solution.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was a kid suction cups were a big thing for all sorts of applications. They all, without exception, well, sucked.

I'm happy to hear that some of the flaws may have been solved with technology. (Although how you address issues with the host surface I'm not sure.) Personally I wouldn't trust a rusty Huffy to one of those things.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Yes this is how I found it. Audi actually suggest them as well on their USA parts page for all A/S models (sedans).

If you are ever looking for a box for your Audi (or other sweet ride) check out SkiGuard. Their boxes are super sleek, and can be paint matched. They have very low profile versons that hug the roof line. I have one on my SQ5 winter driver. It nicely compliments the lines of the vehicle. Most other boxes look like plastic garbage cans mounted to vehicles.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just throw out that Seasucker has (at least maybe?) been around too long for them not to work, and you see plenty of them at bicycle road races. I've never seen one at an mtb trailhead.

I wonder if you can attach the rear wheel to the back window of a hatchback with a sloped rear window? In the days of my youth (thanks Led Zep) my wife and I honeymooned from MN to CO in my then pretty new Saab 900 hatchback. I put the "rear" rack on with fork mounts, and rigged a somewhat complex strap to hold the rear tires/wheels on the HB window. Worked great, and let us drive with the sunroof open and almost no rack/bicycle wind noise.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know folks who have these for their bikes and they are rock solid. Even in strong winds, at speed, whatever, they hold strong and even the drag-induced leverage of a bicycle won't knock them askew.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know folks who have these for their bikes and they are rock solid. Even in strong winds, at speed, whatever, they hold strong and even the drag-induced leverage of a bicycle won't knock them askew.
Good to hear. Since I posted up thread I actually heard another second-hand testimonial from someone who said it was comforting to have such a strong rack even as he himself limpet home from a tough ride.

Sponsor