• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Simple Boot Fitting Ordered List Needed

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi - I just bought a cheap pair of new boots on eBay and am asking for someone to give me a list, in order, of what I can do at home to fit these boots. I bought a new pair of K2 Spyne 110 26.5 HV. My to do list is short:
**SPECS**
- Heat mold liners (Lux Fit intuition liners, lasted liners)
Heat mold liners how-to
- Cuff alignment (@markojp has a thread on this with embedded video)

What order should the above be done? What else can I do? I am going to use the stock footbed. I ski in the Poconos so this isn't a big deal if everything isn't perfect. My previous boots are some type of Dalbellos that I bought almost 20 years ago. I ski on 2016 Head Monster 83 178 with Attack 13 bindings. My main goal is to learn what I need in a high quality ski boot for future purchase and avoid discomfort. I suspect the flex will be a little light but I don't know because I don't know the approximate flex of my current boot. I think of myself as an advanced carved that likes to tinker with types of turns and turn shape. I can always give these boots to my son as he is growing like a weed or can sell on Craigslist and prob make money on the deal in the future. I do plan to use them this season though ( @ 30 days). Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
  1. What is the shell check like with toes lightly touching the front of the shell in mm
  2. With your heel slid into the heel pocket how much space do you have on the sides of your heels in mm
  3. With your heel slid back into the heel pocket how much space can feel on the sides of your foot
  4. With your heel slid back into the heel pocket how much space do you have over your instep, use stacked fingers this is an emperical measurement

Answers to these questions will determine if you got a ski boot or a bucket masquerading as a ski boot

1. 12 - 18 mm
  2. Around 5 mm a side
  3. Touching or no more than 2mm per side
  4. 2 fingers stacked mine are approx 40 mm
If all the above is close then it's possible that you have the correct boot.

You WILL need a footbed.

The factory footbed in all ski boots is designed to be used as a template for bootfitters to fabricate a footbed that can support your foot.

I have never sold a boot to any customer that didn't need some sort of a footbed to match their anatomy.

You may be able to find an off the shelf footbed that will work for your particular anatomy.

I hope this information is helpful, you ski a lot of days a year from your description above.

You probably would benefit by going to a real bootfitter and finding a shell that matches your anatomy exactly or one that can be modified to work.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honestly, I think its worth your time and energy to take these to a shop and have a fitter do the work for you. By the time you fiddle around with the things you're talking about without the tools or skills to do it, you'll have far more time invested than you would if you just go to a fitter.

As for the fitter working on boots not purchased in his/her shop, they usually charge something, but it can be done.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^^^^^ What they said.
Boot fit is really important for your skiing, and boot fit is far more complicated than you think.
Most skiers don't know this. Knowing it marks a breakthrough in one's ski skill acquisition.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Life is short, ski boot fitting is long. . .

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
^^^^^^ What they said.

When I got my brand new boots 2 seasons ago it changed my skiing and my world forever. It's A-OK to be frugal however, I think the definitely of frugality should be forgotten when it comes to a ski boots and the INVALUABLE service a qualified bootfitter provides is priceless.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
^^^^^^ What they said.

When I got my brand new boots 2 seasons ago it changed my skiing and my world forever. It's A-OK to be frugal however, I think the definitely of frugality should be forgotten when it comes to a ski boots and the INVALUABLE service a qualified bootfitter provides is priceless.

And chocolate, and red wine. . .

Sponsor

Staff online