• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli SR88/95 vs Blizzard Brahma/Bonafide

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey guys,

I would like to know if you think that the StormRider 88 is significantly different from the Brahma 88, or if the SR 95 is significantly different than the Bonafide?

They seems quite similar to me (beside the Blizzard's skis having maybe a shorter effective edge), but I haven't tried them. How are they different?

Thanks!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey guys,

I would like to know if you think that the StormRider 88 is significantly different from the Brahma 88, or if the SR 95 is significantly different than the Bonafide?

They seems quite similar to me (beside the Blizzard's skis having maybe a shorter effective edge), but I haven't tried them. How are they different?

Thanks!

This is very general, and I haven't skied a recent Brahma or Bonafide, but the performance envelope of the SR is noticeably wider. I don't have to go mach schnell to make Stöcklis work right -- but I can. As a lighter skier, those Blizzards were a tad burly for me, really needed some speed to create enough force.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
This is very general, and I haven't skied a recent Brahma or Bonafide, but the performance envelope of the SR is noticeably wider. I don't have to go mach schnell to make Stöcklis work right -- but I can. As a lighter skier, those Blizzards were a tad burly for me, really needed some speed to create enough force.
I would agree that the main difference (besides the construction) is the Blizzard's speed *minimum*. These aren't cruisers. On the Stockli you don't need to be going flat out to get the skis to come to life. The Brahma and Bonafide are also quite a bit stiffer flexing, even with the new True Blend woods construction.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
The SR88 i have is the opposite of a bury ski, that’s why i bought it. It works great for that non-burly application. As has been mentioned more than a few times here, Fantastic in its element.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hey guys,

Thanks!

In general the Blizzards are stiffer and heavier so more burly. I love the bonafides but I am not light at 190 lbs.

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
A few days ago at the Base of Deer Valley--I noticed a bunch of 2022 Volkls lined up in the racks, including the new 2022 M6 and the 2022 Kendo 88--and I took the liberty to hand flex them versus the SR 95's that I own: the Volkls were noticeably stiffer---and personally--I can't possibly see what benefit that stiffer flex could provide versus the SR's--which in addition to be very maneuverable are also (IMHO) uniquely smooth at speed and plow through chop really well. So while not a direct comparison to the Bones or Brahma--I think the observation would be similar.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm.... @ 215 lbs I find the original Bones super versatile at low speed as if I can turn on a dime like no other burly ski. Then again, I go short on such a heavy ski @ 180cm. I'm thinking Flip Core... Maybe??? My New-ish Bones even more so... Engage the hips, quads and buns... pivot off arch to heel and the Bones wake up at any speed. The newer Bones just not that insane top end like old ones.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@ 135 lb, I do not have that same experience :ogbiggrin: . But it's good! There is a ski for everyone. I had the OG Bones in a 173, and I loved them until I got into bumps, and then it was just blech.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to try the SR95 sometime...

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ 135 lb, I do not have that same experience :ogbiggrin: . But it's good! There is a ski for everyone. I had the OG Bones in a 173, and I loved them until I got into bumps, and then it was just blech.
Agreed........ you need some "Heft" to move them around. My buddy @ 135 lbs hated them! He said all he could do was go straight! :beercheer:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Baby seal skins!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The main difference is construction. Stockli is a premium construction ski, it will be noticeably quieter, damper, and smoother, while having better edge hold at the same time. There is actually no comparison when you ski them back to back with a regular construction ski like Bonafide or Enforcer. This is what you pay for.

BTW, old (pre 2020) made in Austria Kastle has the same feel (not any more After they changed construction a nod lowered the prices).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, the SR95 and the Bonafide had different design objectives and different target pro and regular skier styles in mind
(less certain about 20/21 and 21/22 Bones, though, in their design objectives).
So it's not just a difference in stiffness and expense/refinement; it's different in what they were designed to do, with different target skiers, only partially related to price. What the OP wants his ski to do might effect his choice here also.
(The Brahma 88 was different than the Bonafide in this way, not all the same objectives - and from the start the 88 worked for a wider range of skier size and weight, especially in bumps).

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
To me, the SR95 and the Bonafide had different design objectives and different target pro and regular skier styles in mind
(less certain about 20/21 and 21/22 Bones, though, in their design objectives).
So it's not just a difference in stiffness and expense/refinement; it's different in what they were designed to do, with different target skiers, only partially related to price. What the OP wants his ski to do might effect his choice here also.
(The Brahma 88 was different than the Bonafide in this way, not all the same objectives - and from the start the 88 worked for a wider range of skier size and weight, especially in bumps).

Hey Ski Otter--I don't mean to make too much of a point about this--but your POV lacks elaboration. Unless you're looking for differences without distinction-I am pretty sure the target skier for the SR95 and Bones is very similar; Very Loosely put: high-end all mountain skiers.. who value high speed stability and possess ability to work their skis confidently in a variety of conditions.. If you think the manufacturers see it differently--I'd be curious to hear your insight into how their target profiles differ?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They make me think, "Gee, I DO know how to ski!" Then ... I get on something else ...

Exactly. Them and the AX. Especially the AX.

SR95 are so smooth and forgiving you can lean back and fall asleep mid run and you'd still be OK at the end.

And then I hop on the GS and my confidence goes bye bye and I realize how much I actually suck.:(

James

Out There
Instructor
The Stockli Storm Rider used to carry names like Scott Schmidt and Dominique Perret. Afaik, they were not easy going. Never skied them.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey Ski Otter--I don't mean to make too much of a point about this--but your POV lacks elaboration. Unless you're looking for differences without distinction-I am pretty sure the target skier for the SR95 and Bones is very similar; Very Loosely put: high-end all mountain skiers.. who value high speed stability and possess ability to work their skis confidently in a variety of conditions.. If you think the manufacturers see it differently--I'd be curious to hear your insight into how their target profiles differ?
Sorry, but you asked for it!! :)

The SR95 is designed to reward the carve in almost all terrain, and specifically, with the drive-the-tips style of an ex-racer type skier (whether they raced or not). Just going by the most recent version (20/21), that ski will flex carve through anything, old snow or new - but as the snow gets deeper, its slight "float" has it getting heavier, carving near the bottom more and more. The ski is almost perfect in what it does. (And P.S, I generally ski FIS GS skis as my "old snow" daily drivers.)

By contrast, the initial Bone, to me, was designed as a freerider ski, to have a number of balance or "freedom of choice" points: between easy carve (at will, if you have enough weight) or slarve (at will, if ... weight); between forward driving the tips and more upright skiing; between fast or slow (again, if ... weight), between some float and a deeper carve; between riding the rails on edge and flexing the ski more. And it may have a similar balance/versatility between finesse styles and power styles also. In short, it was designed for free-riding for good skiers: including, you know, those young guys (some of them pros) hunched over a bit, leaning into it, riding that edge with only a bit of flexing, turning by "tumbling" some down the fall line/leaning with forward fall to it.
Additionally, to me, the Bonafide is somewhat more a soft snow ski: it stutters a bit on old snow groomers and such, but not so with even a dusting of fresh.

But that first Bone (maybe pre-17/18) was somewhat dependent on the skier's weight: below maybe 160 lbs or so, and the ski wouldn't so easily flex enough to carve by driving the tips, and would tend to slarve its turns too much; almost an intermediate ski for some, the opposite of what was intended, I gather.
At 150 lbs/5'10", it was that way for me, in the bumps especially.

So the recent history of changes for the Bonafide, to me, were about making it more accessible to more (and lighter weight) skiers, maybe at the expense of heavier skiers and bigger chargers. (As a lighter skier, I could charge it/carve it just fine, better than the earlier versions; heavier, stronger skiers usually feel the opposite, seems like.) The 17/18-19/20 versions got perfect for lighter weight skiers like myself, and I got a pair of 19/20s, just under the wire, since however great it may be, the 20/21 version does not seem designed with the same "ride the edges" quality for mid-weight and lighter skiers, near as I can tell, but something different. I'm told it's now a return to being more precise and stable at greater speeds, maybe, for a bit heavier skiers again, dunno.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online