• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stöckli SR95 or SR88 for ski touring

vilu

Booting up
Skier
Hello, I'm new in the forum but reading the reviews for a while with great interest.

Me: 57, 6'0" 176lb. I'm skiing in the Swiss and Austrian alps. My everyday on-piste ski is a Laser SL for many years. A few years ago I started with ski-touring and bought 2013 an SR95 in 183cm with a pin-binding.

I would rate my skiing technique quite skilled, but off-piste I'm missing a bit of experience by 10 to max.15 days touring/off-piste skiing per year. I prefer short to medium turns in moderate speed.

The SR95 is fine for soft snow, crud and powder. But as the touring boots lost a bit their fit on hard packed it's difficult to control the stiff ski while carving at speed. I will first look for a new boot (Technica Zero G / Scarpa Maestrale RS). I'm aware that they will never be as precise as my alpine boots (Technica Mach 130). Therefore I wonder if my next ski should be an SR88 in 177. I expect it to be more versatile in all aspects and it would also be easier for climbing. The only thing I'm a little bit scared is how SR88 works in crud snow or powder compared to the new SR95.

Thanks for your advices.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
not sure why would want a ski with metal to ski tour with? if you must go with a Metal stockli I would stick with the 183cm SR95. Short skis will make balance harder and not easier. If you get a liner for your touring boots, the ones you have should fine.

AS for the boots as someone who owns a maestrale and Mach 130, the maestrale has far better power transmission to the snow. I know that sounds strange but if my Maestrales were canted I would prefer them over my Mach 130s.

TS
V

vilu

Booting up
Skier
Hi Josh, thanks for your reply.

I know there are more specialized skies for ski touring. My decision for Stöckli might not be fully rational and it will force me to do some extra-miles on the bike ;-). I prefer descend-oriented stable skies and will use it for off-piste days or soft snow on-piste, not only for touring. My quiver shall be limited to 2 pairs.

Yes, SR95 183 will provide better balance compared to SR88 177. With SR88 I hope to make climbing easier espicially as my hips are not the most flexibles in swithbacks. But would I loose too much of descend quality? Or could it get compensated with an improved technique?

I doubt that my boots can get saved with a new liner. The lower buckles need to be closed too hard and I'm no longer happy with the flex. Therefore I'm looking for a modern and lighter ski-boot. I'm glad to hear that your Maestrale shows such a good transmission. Probably my current SR95 will work for one or two more seasons with new boots.

Sponsor

Staff online