• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Team- I am presently happy with my shiny newish Magnas with the foam liner- but historically I've been a booster guy and I am really wanting to try the dual straps.

I am not sure I've checked EVERY Atomic dealer in Reno/Tahoe but probably most.

Does anyone know where I could find a set of the dual straps in the larger size? Hawx or Redster doesn't matter.
Did you check the Atomic website? That’s where I got mine.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Team- I am presently happy with my shiny newish Magnas with the foam liner- but historically I've been a booster guy and I am really wanting to try the dual straps.

I am not sure I've checked EVERY Atomic dealer in Reno/Tahoe but probably most.

Does anyone know where I could find a set of the dual straps in the larger size? Hawx or Redster doesn't matter.

If you like the Boosters you will LOVE the Dual straps.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would not say all.

I made an experiment this season and as experiments go I still think it was a solid one. Replaced the dual straps on my CS 130 with Booster World Cup-the least elastic and strongest.
Idea was to find something less than ideal in the CS 130 then come here to complain, bitch and whine to @onenerdykid and tell him he got it all wrong. :roflmao: Or less than perfect maybe.

Turns out Boosters give me nothing more/better than the Dual Straps. absolutely nothing at all. If anything they feel narrower and offering support to narrower section of the tongue whereas the Dual straps feel much more supportive and solid, so back on the boots they went.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next up for science- you wear a black helmet instead of yellow.

Ah I did that at the beginning of my return to skiing journey like 10 years ago and my skiing absolutely sucked. I honestly still don’t see any other reason for that except for the wrong helmet color.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I made an experiment this season and as experiments go I still think it was a solid one. Replaced the dual straps on my CS 130 with Booster World Cup-the least elastic and strongest.
Idea was to find something less than ideal in the CS 130 then come here to complain, bitch and whine to @onenerdykid and tell him he got it all wrong. :roflmao: Or less than perfect maybe.

Turns out Boosters give me nothing more/better than the Dual Straps. absolutely nothing at all. If anything they feel narrower and offering support to narrower section of the tongue whereas the Dual straps feel much more supportive and solid, so back on the boots they went.

A lot depends on your skiing style and application. Couple skiers I am familiar with went back to the booster strap. Their take was less fussy and more direct connection to the spine of the boot. .

marsound

Skier
Skier
Hawx version gets these updates:
-Change to the Redster-style microfiber outer material (more flexible, less rigid, better follows the foot & shell shape).
-Microfiber is bumped up from 2.5mm to 3mm thick (creates 1mm tighter fit overall)
-New internal layup construction to create a tighter ankle & midfoot fit

Redster version gets this update:
-new internal construction to create a tighter ankel & midfoot fit
-Not a change/update, but the microfiber outer material is 1.5mm thick and therefore thinner than Hawx

If you have a Hawx Ultra, you want to use the Hawx version. The Redster version is most likely too thin.
I can only get last year's version (22/23) of the Mimic Pro for my STI 130's. Is it worth waiting until next season to get the updated version of the liner?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I can only get last year's version (22/23) of the Mimic Pro for my STI 130's. Is it worth waiting until next season to get the updated version of the liner?
The 23/24 updates make things more comfortable in the ankle area. I think it's worth waiting for.

AnonymousSkier767

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The 23/24 updates make things more comfortable in the ankle area. I think it's worth waiting for.
Is there new part numbers for the updated liner? (or a spreadsheet of all the Atomic Pro component part numbers)

Is it also plug and play (and foam) to the old Hawx Ultra shell? My head spins a bits keeping track of the transition from the complete Pro boot I bought last year to only individual components. If this was software I'd be looking for release notes.

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
Ah I did that at the beginning of my return to skiing journey like 10 years ago and my skiing absolutely sucked. I honestly still don’t see any other reason for that except for the wrong helmet color.
hmmmm i rest my case Mlud !

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Is there new part numbers for the updated liner? (or a spreadsheet of all the Atomic Pro component part numbers)

Is it also plug and play (and foam) to the old Hawx Ultra shell? My head spins a bits keeping track of the transition from the complete Pro boot I bought last year to only individual components. If this was software I'd be looking for release notes.
1712128746571.png

Any liner that is made for a Redster STI will not fit into a Hawx Ultra, and vice-versa.

We're hopefully launching a new website in autumn 2024 and we're working hard to put in the release notes.

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 232143
Any liner that is made for a Redster STI will not fit into a Hawx Ultra, and vice-versa.

We're hopefully launching a new website in autumn 2024 and we're working hard to put in the release notes.
How about using that on a Head wcr plug?

Does the foam get around or to the side of the heel? I guess that could be tough since it might push everything forward.

AnonymousSkier767

Skier
So on the bright side of having bruised inner ankle bones (medial malleous), I can really easily pinpoint where on my liner the pain is by pushing on it with my thumb until it hurts :)

Does this indicate anything useful? Is my ankle bone supposed to be lined up to where the boot hinge is?

(This is the inner side of the left boot, I can tell where the hinge hardware is because it left a witness mark on the liner)
1712816507069.png

Here is pretty much exactly where the pain is vs. the shell:

1712816950201.png

And where it lands on my foot (and the sweet bruise):

1712817535056.png

Boots have about 15 days of skiing on them and went through the whole deal of insoles and heat molding and foaming. Everywhere else feels great...it just murders both my ankle bones when I go out.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Boots have about 15 days of skiing on them and went through the whole deal of insoles and heat molding and foaming. Everywhere else feels great...it just murders both my ankle bones when I go out.

I've had the same issue with boots from pretty much all manufacturers. What transpired is some heavy-duty punch work on the part of my bootfitters. It takes some dialing in but once it's set the irritation goes away. Note that the punches often work in concert with other bits of fitting, be they punches, grinds, canting, and footbeds.

Be prepared to spend some time with your fitter to get it all dialed in. Good luck!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
So on the bright side of having bruised inner ankle bones (medial malleous), I can really easily pinpoint where on my liner the pain is by pushing on it with my thumb until it hurts :)

Does this indicate anything useful? Is my ankle bone supposed to be lined up to where the boot hinge is?

(This is the inner side of the left boot, I can tell where the hinge hardware is because it left a witness mark on the liner)
View attachment 233108

Here is pretty much exactly where the pain is vs. the shell:

View attachment 233109

And where it lands on my foot (and the sweet bruise):

View attachment 233111

From day one, or only recently?

AnonymousSkier767

Skier
From day one, or only recently?
Day 1 but I wanted to give them a fair shot at breaking in before making permanent modifications. And these bruises take a couple weeks to heal, probably from not much blood flow around a bone, so I just suffered through it for most days of skiiing. But I took them back out after being off for 3 weeks and immediate pain when stuff gets chattery doing hockey turns.

So on the todo list for Greg @ Evo Seattle to do some boot healing.

Sponsor

Staff online