• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
They control the stiffness of the boot I believe. .

I was thinking that they did that (like on the Lange) but I was reading something to the contrary saying it controlled another way to rotate the cuff. I am not really sure.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
My question is about the TRUE FLEX feature, I believe it standard on the ultra boots is that correct ?,Is the TRUE FLEX included in the Club Sport ??, also does the ultra line require a Grip Walk binding or will it work in a DIN binding

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
On this Atomic Redster WC 90 boot- anyone know where to source one? I am missing a part. I guess these spine bolts control some cuff rotational adjustment.
View attachment 123027
I have a bunch of those screws, but it would cost more to ship than what you can buy locally. The bolts only aid in stiffening the forward flex a bit. For rotational cuff alignment, you'll need the hinge offset t-nuts.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You will need a thin-wall socket to fit on the inner nut. Then you'll be able to snug it up nicely.

Everything should just be Torx and the world would be a better place ;)

Could you guys throw the little tool in the box like you used to? :)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just picked these up today. Super excited to ski them but so far they feel great! I went to a shop I’ve patronized for years for other things but never boots. I have to say that I’ve never had such a thorough yet respectful fit experience even though I’ve been to some very well-regarded shops so I fully endorse Outdoor Divas in Vail. We are trying something radical and starting with the stock footbed because every custom pair I’ve had leaves me feeling like I have a marble under my arch on any random day.

7E7AEC0B-2B3C-4C95-94D4-CA1FDE88601E.jpeg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like the new mimic liner is in those boots. How do you like the feel of it?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
My question is about the TRUE FLEX feature, I believe it standard on the ultra boots is that correct ?,Is the TRUE FLEX included in the Club Sport ??, also does the ultra line require a Grip Walk binding or will it work in a DIN binding
True Flex is a type of Polyurethane (PU) plastic that maintains its flex characteristics over a broad range of temperatures better than traditional PU. It is found in the Hawx Ultra range, some of the Hawx Ultra XTD & Prime XTD boots, and some Hawx Prime boots. It's also better suited to boots with thinner wall thicknesses. Because of that, we don't use it in the Redster series. Some athletes have it in their Redster boots, but it makes the boot VERY stiff. So, we generally stick with our traditional PUs that are used by the World Cup athletes for the Redster series.

For 21/22, the "S" models of Hawx Ultra and Hawx Prime will come with GripWalk soles, lower end models will come with regular ISO 5355 soles. ISO 5355 soles are available if your current binding does not support GripWalk.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For 21/22, the "S" models of Hawx Ultra and Hawx Prime will come with GripWalk soles, lower end models will come with regular ISO 5355 soles. ISO 5355 soles are available if your current binding does not support GripWalk.

Hopefully a pair of GW bindings will be included for my non-GW equipped rock skis. :ogbiggrin:

Slider

Booting up
Skier
New Hawx Ultra : « easier than ever step-in / step-out »

On this matter, if the prime is a 10/10 and the current ultra a 0/10 (it’s exagerated on purpose); where does the new Ultra stand ?

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
My Club Sport 130 out of the box leaves out the second rear screws over the upper calf. Does installing the additional screws increase the stiffness rating to a 140, or above? Or is it not 130 until you add the second screw? @onenerdykid

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
My Club Sport 130 out of the box leaves out the second rear screws over the upper calf. Does installing the additional screws increase the stiffness rating to a 140, or above? Or is it not 130 until you add the second screw? @onenerdykid

All Redster boots come with the bottom screw installed, but the top screw is in the box.

This is because adding the top screw permanently fixes your forward lean in place. Your CS 130 arrives with 16° forward lean setting, but it can be changed to 18° with the thicker 5mm T-shaped shim that comes in the box. You pop out the 16°/3mm shim and put in the 18°/5mm shim.

Experiment with your forward lean and then once you find one you like/what's right for you, then you can drill the top hole and add the screw & claw nut.

On this level of boot, adding the second screw isn't really a flex adjustment. But it will make you faster and more attractive ;)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find my new Club Sport 130 as stiff or slightly stiffer than my old Lange RS 140 boot. Differences between manufacturers account for that. When they set my boots up at the shop, they drilled the top hole, put the screw in that hole and plugged the lower hole.(no screw) I asked for the softest setting I could get. My experience is the screws have minimal effect, unless you leave both out, and then forward flex is a tad softer, but rebound gets worse. This was the case for my Langes, with 2 screw holes. I have not changed anything on my Redster's yet from how the shop set them up. They feel stronger (less lower shell deflection) than my Lange RS140's and more precise. The fit is better for my narrow foot, so an all around win. These are the most precise boots I can imagine owning and skiing in all day long. They are perfectly comfortable for me and feel like a vise grip on my feet. I have them buckled pretty loose and the fit is just so symbiotic, whatever I think, the skis do. I had the shop set them at 18 deg. forward lean, which I am really liking as well. I am in a perfect ski stance and have never skied better. In time, I will consider having the shop increase the saddle U cut out to soften the forward flex a tad. For now I will get used to them and enjoy them. On piste they are perfect, in double black moguled glades, I might want the forward flex to be softer, time will tell.

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
All Redster boots come with the bottom screw installed, but the top screw is in the box.

This is because adding the top screw permanently fixes your forward lean in place. Your CS 130 arrives with 16° forward lean setting, but it can be changed to 18° with the thicker 5mm T-shaped shim that comes in the box. You pop out the 16°/3mm shim and put in the 18°/5mm shim.

Experiment with your forward lean and then once you find one you like/what's right for you, then you can drill the top hole and add the screw & claw nut.

Excellent, thank you.

On this level of boot, adding the second screw isn't really a flex adjustment. But it will make you faster and more attractive ;)
Most definitely!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied my new boots on Sunday and am super happy with them so far. They'll need a couple more adjustments by the fitter but they performed very nicely. Also, it's the first time I've had a cuff alignment done (and the easy ability to do that was one of the reasons I chose these over another pair that was also feeling pretty good) and I can't believe what a difference it made.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I should add Redster to my boot shopping list when I go to the fitter this week. :) Their reputation as narrow was what scared me off initially.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I should add Redster to my boot shopping list when I go to the fitter this week. :) Their reputation as narrow was what scared me off initially.

Just curious where do you live/shop that they still have a range of boots in stock?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious where do you live/shop that they still have a range of boots in stock?
I am not going to a ski shop, I am going to a bootfitter to do some data collection. From there, I will rely on his knowledge to rule in/out boots, then he'll order them and we start the fitting dance. This place doesn't stock boots, they fit you, then you order.

The other option is I just randomly buy a pair of boots off my list and then try to make them work. Of the list I provided, I can find a way to justify any of those brands/models so long as they fit me well. :) When I went from dead skis to new skis it was a light switch moment. I don't know what to expect from new boots, I think you tend to adjust to crappy boots over time as the degradation is so slow, so I am hoping for the same "ah-hah!!" when I get into new boots.

Sponsor

Staff online