• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
for me, the m-free was so hyped, and underdeliverd on everything, no matter what I did to bases, I just could never get them to feel fast, always felt like I was glued down, even straightlining a black incline for testing. the upside on them, they do pivot easy in tight spots

the CT 3.0 I just bought on random, because ... why not! , and first time I skied them, they were so good I had to tell @GregK and he also bought a pair and was waiting to ski them,

the CT 3.0 can carve so much harder for me at least, and just feels like a chargy power ski, and just an amazing ski in general, can pivot, can charge, can float, can bust crud

for me its a nobrainer if you can actually get a pair of 3.0

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The CT 3.0 has a longer effective edge, a longer turning radius, stiffer tip/tails(but softer underfoot) than the MFree 108. Mounting both at a similar area would make them similar as far as float. The MFree 108 is -8.7cm and the CT line is -5.4cm so I’d go -3cm on the CT 3.0 for max float and max stability for your size.

The MFree 108 will be easier to skid turns and feel a bit shorter with it’s increased taper but with similar weight, I’d choose something else for touring as there would be too much overlap as you mentioned.

Have you already bought the Duke bindings? Maybe use a cast setup on the CT 3.0 if it’s just occasional tours and get a lighter set up just for touring if you find yourself touring more. New Blizzard Hustle 11 which would be cheaper come Spring which would different in feel vs the CT 3.0 but wouldn’t be a noodle for your size.

dare

Booting up
Skier
for me, the m-free was so hyped, and underdeliverd on everything, no matter what I did to bases, I just could never get them to feel fast, always felt like I was glued down, even straightlining a black incline for testing. the upside on them, they do pivot easy in tight spots

the CT 3.0 I just bought on random, because ... why not! , and first time I skied them, they were so good I had to tell @GregK and he also bought a pair and was waiting to ski them,

the CT 3.0 can carve so much harder for me at least, and just feels like a chargy power ski, and just an amazing ski in general, can pivot, can charge, can float, can bust crud

for me its a nobrainer if you can actually get a pair of 3.0
Say no more :)
My local shop still has a pair of CT 3.0's in 190 which I paid for already, I literally just have to walk over there and get it.

The CT 3.0 has a longer effective edge, a longer turning radius, stiffer tip/tails(but softer underfoot) than the MFree 108. Mounting both at a similar area would make them similar as far as float. The MFree 108 is -8.7cm and the CT line is -5.4cm so I’d go -3cm on the CT 3.0 for max float and max stability for your size.

The MFree 108 will be easier to skid turns and feel a bit shorter with it’s increased taper but with similar weight, I’d choose something else for touring as there would be too much overlap as you mentioned.

Have you already bought the Duke bindings? Maybe use a cast setup on the CT 3.0 if it’s just occasional tours and get a lighter set up just for touring if you find yourself touring more. New Blizzard Hustle 11 which would be cheaper come Spring which would different in feel vs the CT 3.0 but wouldn’t be a noodle for your size.
Good reasoning, thanks! I have the Duke PT already, but can easily get rid of it with a negligible to no loss. Bought it during summer sales.

sports-discount.net also still has the 21 3.0s in 169 in 190 on their website, but someone mentioned previously that they don't ship to the US. If anyone wants it you can have it shipped to my place and arrange a shipment to the US or handover if you plan a trip to the Alps (I'm based in Switzerland). Feel free to message me to work out the details.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good reasoning, thanks! I have the Duke PT already, but can easily get rid of it with a negligible to no loss. Bought it during summer sales.

sports-discount.net also still has the 21 3.0s in 169 in 190 on their website, but someone mentioned previously that they don't ship to the US. If anyone wants it you can have it shipped to my place and arrange a shipment to the US or handover if you plan a trip to the Alps (I'm based in Switzerland). Feel free to message me to work out the details.
I’d ponder keeping the Dukes then and just put them on a 50/50 ski like the Hustle 11 if you wanted to tour some. Would be lighter than a 21 CT 3.0 or MFree 108 uphill but still stable going down. Also wouldn’t be bad if you just had those out in the resort as they aren’t “too light” like a dedicated touring ski would be.

Appreciate the offer on getting those skis for others! I messaged the Canadian place today as well and will post when I hear back. They are closed on mondays so it might be a day or two until I hear back.

dare

Booting up
Skier
I’d ponder keeping the Dukes then and just put them on a 50/50 ski like the Hustle 11 if you wanted to tour some. Would be lighter than a 21 CT 3.0 or MFree 108 uphill but still stable going down. Also wouldn’t be bad if you just had those out in the resort as they aren’t “too light” like a dedicated touring ski would be.

Appreciate the offer on getting those skis for others! I messaged the Canadian place today as well and will post when I hear back. They are closed on mondays so it might be a day or two until I hear back.
I’ll most likely keep the dukes and mount them on the 3.0’s. I won’t need a dedicated touring setup because I won’t be touring that much and when I do, I will usually do it on my splitboard. And the dukes are just 100g heavier than the CAST compatible pivot 15 afaik when both in ski mode without the CAST parts on the pivots, and >150 grams lighter when the pivots have the CAST parts on.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ll most likely keep the dukes and mount them on the 3.0’s. I won’t need a dedicated touring setup because I won’t be touring that much and when I do, I will usually do it on my splitboard. And the dukes are just 100g heavier than the CAST compatible pivot 15 afaik when both in ski mode without the CAST parts on the pivots, and >150 grams lighter when the pivots have the CAST parts on.
That’s what I would do as well then and maybe put the money you were pondering spending on MFree 108 towards bindings for the Spurs instead. You’d have money left over for Après drinks too!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got some very fit buddies, I put them on heavy gear and they just haul ass, heck I cant keep up on light gear, and on the down where their technique is lacking, they are so much better than on light gear.

but yeah, you dont do a 7 day trip from chalet to chalet on dukes

dare

Booting up
Skier
C63A1E22-1BA5-4A06-97FE-FE4C5507FF50.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are things of beauty!
<trash talk>
You're talking about something over on the Kästle thread. Or maybe a Rossignol like this. Right? Because that Faction graphic was clearly designed in a middle school voc/tech art class.
</trash talk>

ralme01_blackops_118_open_rvb72dpi_01.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<trash talk>
You're talking about something over on the Kästle thread. Or maybe a Rossignol like this.
</trash talk>

I'm sorry, Tony, but can you check your image attachment?

I think someone in your house must have been checking fanfic illustrations over on deviantArt and left a stodgy bleak mess in your Copy/Paste buffer.

If you find the culprit, please do ask about the specific fanfic they were working on.

I don't know any decent sludge dragon novels/manga.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
<trash talk>
You're talking about something over on the Kästle thread. Or maybe a Rossignol like this. Right? Because that Faction graphic was clearly designed in a middle school art class.
</trash talk>

View attachment 180041
The looks of the Factions are really my only pause but thankfully I’ve never been fashionable. And, the Candide graphic is definitely something I would have drawn in my early teenager years!

it would be so interesting to see/understand how different non-indie brands decide on graphics. I personally don’t like something like the Enforcers which never change and are a little tired. And I like how Black Crows has something consistent across all the models. But come on Faction…..
ly

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Was more commenting on the 21 CT 3.0 being an construction and design “thing of beauty” more than the graphics. Like the matte texture on them more than anything.

My GF who’s an artist among other things has called most of my non Moment skis over the years “pedestrian” and think the CT look “Very Euro”. Lol
Always hear the “The Moments are my favourites” whenever she sees the quiver.

Still get a surprising amount of lift line compliments on my CT skis especially last season because of the Olympics freestyle coverage but nothing compared to when I’m out with the 21 Wildcats or Bibbys before that.

Not really feeling the Fishing graphics on the Black Ops Gamers this year but it’s better than the paint splatter ones from the last few years. The freestyle BO should be more edgy and exciting the the Sender etc lines so at least there’s some separation now.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot to mention-I wonder what the new Candide line will look like as he’s always been heavily involved in the graphics of the previous skis I’ve heard.

Have a guess that they might be made in the Amer plant alongside Atomic/Salomon/Black Crows/Armada/Season Equipment/Black Diamond and Faction since 22. Would make the transition very easy for everyone involved and could sell them through the same distributors as before possibly. Guess we’ll find out soon!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sorry, Tony, but can you check your image attachment?

I think someone in your house must have been checking fanfic illustrations over on deviantArt and left a stodgy bleak mess in your Copy/Paste buffer.

If you find the culprit, please do ask about the specific fanfic they were working on.

I don't know any decent sludge dragon novels/manga.
Okay. Fair.

James

Out There
Instructor
<trash talk>
You're talking about something over on the Kästle thread. Or maybe a Rossignol like this. Right? Because that Faction graphic was clearly designed in a middle school voc/tech art class.
</trash talk>
1655058F-E21C-4CB4-937D-67412A8ABE29.jpeg

In the words of Ralph Kramden, “Toohhhh nny!! You’ve been at those mushrooms again!”

Sponsor

Staff online