• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips / drills for stopping turning too early in GS

Martinr007

Booting up
Skier
Hi,

I’m hoping for some advice on breaking a habit my U16 daughter seems to have developed.

When skiing GS, on the steeper turns, she is constantly starting her turn too early and then having to skid / feather her turn to make the gate and it’s killing her times.

It started mid - last season so I don’t think it’s due to a change of ski length that’s suddenly causing her to do this. She’s aware that she’s doing it but can’t seem to break the habit. Her coach has told her to free ski and just try and get the feel of not flicking her skis sideways but hasn’t gave any drills to help.

I’ve told her to be patient in the transition and trust that the ski will make the turn but am hoping there’s a drill to help.

Thanks for any advice,
Martin

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is likely a confidence issue related to all manner of things that go on when moving up into scored racing and turning 14/15, and it's likely not a drill that's needed so much as just building confidence on more moderate terrain and going up from there. That said, when trying to correct tactical issues like this (could be turning too early, too late, or taking too high of a line), setting brushes on the rise line can be very helpful. I like setting three brushes, high medium and low, and push the athlete to ski the line for each one. Ideally, use timed runs--it can be eye-opening.

TS
M

Martinr007

Booting up
Skier
I'm not convinced it's a confidence thing as she's been racing since U8 so it's not like it's something new. I'm based in France and the kids are pushed hard from a young age competition wise with the coaches being particularly brutal about cutting kids from every age, category every season! She's been skiing on the same training lanes at the same hill as well so it's not like she's suddenly jumping up into steeper terain. She's been trying some Brandon Dyksterhouse / Mikaela Shiffron drills in free skiing and said she feels like she's making improvements so fingers crossed!

I think setting 3 brushes is a great idea and I've asked my daughter if the coaches have ever done that but she said no :(

Sponsor

Staff online