• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uh oh. Fast Tracks at Powdr resorts is coming

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They could fix a lot of problems by saying - will not be valid for first chair and articulating that volumes in the lane will be strictly metered i.e. a guarantee that fast passers won't blow 2 or more laps while the main line remains packed.
Define first chair, maybe first hour. But the more stipulation and rules/guidelines that are created, the more confusing it gets. IMHO, it will just create more problems than fix.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, I have a question for those who attend Gatherings.
If we were to organize a bulk buy of Fast Tracks passes for gathering attendees, would you all buy one so you can hang with other SkiTalkers?

Edit to add: It is not my intent do do this but I was curious about the group concept.

Last edited:
TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Define first chair, maybe first hour. But the more stipulation and rules/guidelines that are created, the more confusing it gets. IMHO, it will just create more problems than fix.
Yeah, at the end of the day it's a product that enables you to cut the line. Putting a bunch of limitations on it defeats the purpose of it. If it makes someone unhappy their best choice is to not go to Snowbird or buy the line cutting privilege pass so they can cut in front.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If we were to organize a bulk buy of Fast Tracks passes for gathering attendees, would you all buy one so you can hang with other SkiTalkers?
Hmmm...maybe? I'm trying to think back over the past several gatherings that I've been to and the only time that a Fast Track would have been nice was the gondy line at JHMR. Once we figured alternative ways to get up the hill from the base the lines were reasonable. Even the gondy line wasn't horrible. Same with other gatherings including the tram line at Snowbird and the tram at JHMR. I think after last season my tolerance for longer lines went up a bit. A Fast Track would have been nice at Steamboat on "the day" last season but we probably wouldn't have found the line anyway!

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Great discussion, one of the most entertaining and enlightening I've seen here. Mixes economics, ethics, philosophy, politics, and of course the all time favorite topic, skiing.

Though I must admit I'd be much less entertained if FastPass were coming to one of my favorite mountains. I'd be pissed. I could afford it, and would probably use it on those rare crowded powder days, or when my friends signed up, but the whole concept rubs me the wrong way.

I understand the practical and economic arguments about Powdr maximizing profits because that's their job, and "this is how the real world works, get over it!" But to me skiing is so beautiful because it's an exception to the real world, a zone where camaraderie and nature and sport intersect like no place else. Skiing is like a fantasy of a more perfect world, reenacted for a few hours 40 or 50 days each winter.

FastPass is just another small intrusion of the real world into this exceptional place. Hopefully an intrusion I won't notice most days, assuming it ever comes to one of my favorite ski areas.

The whole thing smells of privilege on top of privilege, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast. We are all part of this somehow.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe for a powder day or busy Saturday. I don't think I'd spring for the whole week, though.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe for a powder day or busy Saturday. I don't think I'd spring for the whole week, though.
And there lies the "group" problem. I think @Tony S mentioned or asked earlier in the thread "What if some on your group have a FastPass and some don't?" Well, thats betwen you and them and since a group is only as fast as it's slowest member, do the FastPass people ... A. Run the FastPass lane and ski alone (no friends on a powder day). B. Do they run the FastPass lane and wait at the top? (please move away from the unloading area) C. Bypass the FastPass and ski the regular line and ski with their friends? D. Pay for the rest of the group to ride with the FastPass'ers E. Other?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
And there lies the "group" problem. I think @Tony S mentioned or asked earlier in the thread "What if some on your group have a FastPass and some don't?" Well, thats betwen you and them and since a group is only as fast as it's slowest member, do the FastPass people ... A. Run the FastPass lane and ski alone (no friends on a powder day). B. Do they run the FastPass lane and wait at the top? (please move away from the unloading area) C. Bypass the FastPass and ski the regular line and ski with their friends? D. Pay for the rest of the group to ride with the FastPass'ers E. Other?
I'm sure I can find a group of other cheapskates to ski with. :wave:
Maybe just give the fast passes to the slower skiers so everyone gets to the bottom at the same time.ogwink

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They could fix a lot of problems by saying - will not be valid for first chair and articulating that volumes in the lane will be strictly metered i.e. a guarantee that fast passers won't blow 2 or more laps while the main line remains packed.
They've already fixed that....with Early Tracks.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Edit to add: It is not my intent do do this but I was curious about the group concept.

Good call - because if you make the upcharge the expectation you blow through the idea of community.

Do people routinely take the singles line on gatherings because they want to get up the hill as fast as possible? Highly doubt it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They've already fixed that....with Early Tracks.
When you buy an Early Tracks Breakfast ticket at Whistler it is good for use for 7 days. They then cut the Early Tracks line off at 600 skiers, meaning you need to get there up to an hour or more before the 8am gondola opens.......So is there going to be a Premium Early Tracks Breakfast Fast Lane reservation ticket? Show up at 7:55 for a guaranteed load. And WB staff just cut the regular line up off at 600 minus the number of Premium tickets sold. :duck:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good call - because if you make the upcharge the expectation you blow through the idea of community.

Do people routinely take the singles line on gatherings because they want to get up the hill as fast as possible? Highly doubt it.
That was kind of my point.
We won't be doing it, but it answers the question about skiing in groups and the importance of community.

I won't be buying fast tracks because I can use the time in the lift line to chat with "my people"

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If FP is in play at a Gathering, you might find there are people who arrange amongst themselves to get the fast pass on a given day, and choose to stick together for that day.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Confusing! We can't even decide if it's Fast Pass or Fast Tracks. I think officially it is "Fast Tracks" pass. It also looks like you can buy it on the spot with the barcode option as long as they are not sold out.

Fast Tracks​

More pow, more laps, more stoke! New for winter 21/22, Mt. Bachelor will be offering a new, daily limited product upgrade that provides fast lane access at chairlifts – Fast Tracks. Fast Tracks will be available to all guests – passholders or any day ticket guest – and will be available in limited quantities every day until sold out.
Fast Tracks can be purchased three ways:
  • Online, in-advance at mtbachelor.com starting November 1st. Do you have a special someone already planning a visit? Drop in now and upgrade your day on snow!
  • At the resort, day-of guests can visit a ticket window or guest service location to purchase your daily upgrade.
  • Via Smartphone, anytime by scanning the QR code on your pass, lift ticket or on signage located in base areas and at chairlifts.
Once you drop in and complete your purchase, Fast Tracks will be added to your pass for that day within 20-30 seconds. Access is limited each day so that Fast Tracks remains a seamless and expedited experience for skiers and riders chasing that extra vert.
We are thrilled to offer you a new way to maximize your time on our mountain, any day you want. For more information or to purchase Fast Tracks click below. We look forward to seeing you in the fast lane!
Or is it the "Fast Lane" :ogbiggrin:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
E. Take a fast pass run and then get back in the fast pass line and your friend should be getting close to boarding by then.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would purchase it if my group was doing so and it was a vacation if someone sort. I wouldn’t purchase it at my home mountain or just fir myself. Again, like others here, I am fortunate enough to ski weekdays and leave if the wait lines get to long.

James

Out There
Instructor
That was kind of my point.
We won't be doing it, but it answers the question about skiing in groups and the importance of community.

I won't be buying fast tracks because I can use the time in the lift line to chat with "my people"
The groups fracture anyway. There’s no point in paying to not wait at the bottom so you have to wait at the top. So there might be a Fast pass group, then they meet others at lunch, or dinner, or never.

I see no difference, but since the NEG is so small, and Killington has Fast Tracks, we’ll see if anyone ponies up the $49/day.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes. The Gathering is for getting together to ski in groups. ogsmile If the group(s) I plan to ski with had Fast Tracks I'd buy it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Confusing! We can't even decide if it's Fast Pass or Fast Tracks. I think officially it is "Fast Tracks" pass. It also looks like you can buy it on the spot with the barcode option as long as they are not sold out.

Or is it the "Fast Lane" :ogbiggrin:
And don't forget Copper's Beeline ;)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The groups fracture anyway. There’s no point in paying to not wait at the bottom so you have to wait at the top. So there might be a Fast pass group, then they meet others at lunch, or dinner, or never.

I see no difference, but since the NEG is so small, and Killington has Fast Tracks, we’ll see if anyone ponies up the $49/day.
That late in the season I really doubt there would be any point in paying for it, IME. I would actually be surprised if they still had the lanes set up for it. :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online