• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vuelta 2021 Coverage

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting to watch stage 7, so no spoilers. Watching the Anthony McCrosson coverage on Peacock, because that's what I have.

Just wondering what's with the (lack of) sound engineering. Why is the background soundtrack so unmanaged? It keeps overwhelming the narration that should be in the aural foreground. I thought they might figure this out after the first stage or two but no. Bizarre.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well it's the Vuelta. :huh:
Meaning, no one cares about the Vuelta, so why am I surprised that they don't have a sound person?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Meaning, no one cares about the Vuelta, so why am I surprised that they don't have a sound person?
Yeah that was my angle. It's the poor third cousin to the TDF and Giro. I've rarely seen coverage of the Giro. Hardly ever the Vuelta. And that's not a knock on the race itself.... Just not at the front of the media line in NA.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The global feed - which is the one with Ant McCrossan and Hannah Walker - is always plagued with audio issues, whether it's Le Tour or the Giro or La Vuelta. Best bet: tweet at Ant. He's really responsive and will report issues to the higher-ups.

Mostly they keep the volume down because other broadcasters will use this feed.

NBC Sports is showing a more ad-laden broadcast of La Vuelta with Bob Roll and Christian VandeVelde providing commentary. It's OK, tho Ant and Hannah tend to give more informed commentary.

EuroSport/GCN is showing the gold standard broadcast, though: Carlton Kirby, Sean Kelly, Dan Lloyd, Cherie Pridham, Nico Roche, Adam Blythe, and others are simply knocking it out of the park, ad-free, as they usually do.

Sponsor

Staff online