• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Whitewater - Glory Ridge

hozman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey. Thinking of heading to WW this season. Glory ridge looks amazing. Who has skied it? How crazy steep and dense are those trees? I hear they get tons of snow there. When is best chance for some BC pow? Also, does anyone know the vertical feet of Summit and Glory ridge chairs? TIA.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Glory Ridge chair rises 2044ft. I wouldn't call it crazy steep. Mostly intermediate and more approachable than the summit side. Tree spacing is looser than most other places.

I think early season is more consistent, with dark days, frequent snowfall and good preservation. Late season is less consistent but with bigger storm cycles, better light and more variable conditions between storms. Go between January and March.

AJP

Booting up
Skier
Looking at the trail map , the runs to the left of the chair are steeper and have denser trees. The runs to the right of the chair are great lightly spaced trees like single malt and back burner. The bottom of glory ridge is significantly lower than the base lodge so rain/snow levels could be an issue at the bottom of glory ridge terrain. WH20 is a great mountain that is still relatively undiscovered. Nelson is also a cool town with a decent dining scene.

Rainypm

Booting up
Skier
I've skied WW a few times now and I'm headed there in March. My usual trips are either the end of Jan or in Feb. As it was explained to me, Black diamond tree run get groomed(not the snow but the trees) - they limb some of the trees branches, clear out under brush, etc. Double Blacks well if it looks like a fallen tree or a giant boulder covered in snow - ya it is. Don't let any of this discourage you, its a fun place to ski. I've hit all the runs off the front and back, met locals that have taken me all over the place. Be careful as the boundaries aren't always marked well off the Glory Ridge lift and its easy to ski down to the road chasing powder. Yep I'm speaking from experience(Copper Corner run followed the line through the trees), started the hike of shame but got a ride to the lift.

Locals have a 30cm clause with employers. If it snow 30cm, they can come in late to work. By 11:00am it clears out and its not tracked up. If this happens most skiers/boarders will stick to the Summit chair as it opens earlier then Glory Ridge.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Whitewater is the anti Whistler. It is tied with Whistler for the most snow in B.C. but doesn't gets Whistler wet heavy snow or rain.

Powder tip: For the most part locals don't ski Silver King on the other side of the valley, so after a powder day there are still pow turns to be had on the sides of runs and between runs. Also lots of lift serviced back country access at WH20.

TS
hozman

hozman

Skier
How is backside bowl and the out of bounds off giddy up?

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
How is backside bowl and the out of bounds off giddy up?
Some good turns to be had in that area.

To be honest, I think if that's the terrain you are interested in and that fits your "out of bounds" comfort level you would be better off skiing with a guide or skiing at Red.

Here are a couple videos that I feel will give you a better feel for the area.
Whitequeen: up Silver King Ridge, then they ski "black queen" the Northside, back up then south down Whitequeen. (The typical first time tour)

Ymir peak, out Blasters Ridge.

Last edited:
TS
hozman

hozman

Skier
Some good turns to be had in that area.

To be honest, I think if that's the terrain you are interested in and that fits your "out of bounds" comfort level you would be better off skiing with a guide or skiing at Red.

Here are a couple videos that I feel will give you a better feel for the area.
Whitequeen: up Silver King Ridge, then they ski "black queen" the Northside, back up then south down Whitequeen. (The typical first time tour)

Ymir peak, out Blasters Ridge.

TS
hozman

hozman

Skier
great videos. Beauty day. I am mostly looking for lift serviced tree runs in deep pow. I don't have climbing gear and ski alone.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied a couple of days at Whitewater a couple of seasons ago. We were planning on doing 2 days at Red and 1 day at Whitewater, but after skiing a day at both we chose to come back to Whitewater.

Glory Ridge is really fun, we spent most of our time in the trees to skiers right of the chairlift. We were fortunate to have tons of fresh snow, in fact we had a really difficult time getting to the ski area our first day because the road was so slippery. Locals we talked to said this was the worst they had ever seen the access road. Multiple cars were off the road and many cars turned back. We started sliding down the road at one point and were lucky that we didn't hit anything. That was the hairiest access road experience I've had! The tree runs off Glory Ridge were great: the trees were well-spaced, and the pitch went from semi-steep to very steep. Interestingly, lots of the runs get steeper towards the bottom of the run. Most of our runs ended on the cat track.

My other favorite spot on the mountain was Catch Basin into A-C shafts on the Summit side of the mountain.

I never explored Silver King but I would take @DanoT's advice there. I'm looking at a trail map now and it sounds like they are putting a new lift up there next season that will unlock some new terrain. Super exciting!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
great videos. Beauty day. I am mostly looking for lift serviced tree runs in deep pow. I don't have climbing gear and ski alone.
Red, Whitewater, Revelstoke, mostly fit the bill, mostly not crowded so you will mostly ski alone.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2025. Writing it down now.
I turn 75y.o. starting with the 23-2024 season where seasons passes for me will be Red=$25Cdn; Whitewater=$30Cdn, Castle=$29Cdn. FOR THE SEASON. :ogbiggrin:

You will find me in the parking lot in a Winnebago EKKO motorhome for a good part of the coming winters, so send me a PM when you have your dates figured out.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I turn 75y.o. starting with the 23-2024 season where seasons passes for me will be Red=$25Cdn; Whitewater=$30Cdn, Castle=$29Cdn. FOR THE SEASON. :ogbiggrin:

You will find me in the parking lot in a Winnebago EKKO motorhome for a good part of the coming winters, so send me a PM when you have your dates figured out.
I was at Whitewater in February of 2020. Rode up the chairlift with a local: Charlie. He started skiing when WW opened up and had skied there every year since. He said that when he turned 75, they gave him a free lifetime pass as recognition. But then he said "I don't think they thought I'd use it as long as I have". He was 90 and still skiing.

charlie at whitewater.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just don't count on a deal when you reach at 75.
I've looked forward to a lot of deals hills have offered for 55 60 65 and 70 but have usually found they up the age as soon as I qualify.

Suspect I'll still be looking for one when I drop dead.

TS
hozman

hozman

Skier

awesome lifestyle. I have always wanted to do that. I will PM you.

TS
hozman

hozman

Skier
I skied a couple of days at Whitewater a couple of seasons ago. We were planning on doing 2 days at Red and 1 day at Whitewater, but after skiing a day at both we chose to come back to Whitewater.

Glory Ridge is really fun, we spent most of our time in the trees to skiers right of the chairlift. We were fortunate to have tons of fresh snow, in fact we had a really difficult time getting to the ski area our first day because the road was so slippery. Locals we talked to said this was the worst they had ever seen the access road. Multiple cars were off the road and many cars turned back. We started sliding down the road at one point and were lucky that we didn't hit anything. That was the hairiest access road experience I've had! The tree runs off Glory Ridge were great: the trees were well-spaced, and the pitch went from semi-steep to very steep. Interestingly, lots of the runs get steeper towards the bottom of the run. Most of our runs ended on the cat track.

My other favorite spot on the mountain was Catch Basin into A-C shafts on the Summit side of the mountain.

I never explored Silver King but I would take @DanoT's advice there. I'm looking at a trail map now and it sounds like they are putting a new lift up there next season that will unlock some new terrain. Super exciting!
thanks for the reco. Backside bowl looks awesome. I heard the road was bad but that sounds crazy.

TS
hozman

hozman

Skier
Had a great trip. Lucky to get 20cm at WH20 during my 5 days there. Here are my random thoughts FWIW.
Excellent mountain. Pitch was right. Definitely some steep stuff, deceptively large terrain, well laid out. Luckily all the lifts were spinning however we did lose power and got shutdown one afternoon. Silver King, while its mostly used by beginners, the terrain is probably the best. You can easily traverse into Ymir bowl and can bootpack up a cat track to the top were the new chairlift is coming next season. Also the slackcountry is unbelievable. You can hike up the ridge of Ymir bowl, also the hike to White Queen is very doable in no avalanche terrain. Skins are a must. I am looking forward to the new terrain available off the new lift.
Summit was also spectacular, the terra ratta is very steep and somewhat dense. I prerferred the quicksilver glades. Catch basin is also very fun, any of the drop ins off the traverse are good. Glory basin and Sprouters were great but you need to access them off glory chair.
Glory was the best. Backside is good, depending on snow. I liked it. Its all good and no worries about getting lost or too deep, it all funnels out and lots of outs if you exceed your comfort level. I mostly went in the fuse, and followed the trees down, trying to stay closer to the lift line and the fall line kinda goes to the left. I did the trash traverse and that was fun too. You can easily ski past the trash glades, there are tons of tracks out that way and it all funnels back.
Overall, I loved it, no long ski out. Glory lodge is amazing, good food too. Cool vibe, friendly locals. Can't wait to go back. Only downside is getting there. Easy 4 hr drive from Kelowna, only 1 pass (Bonanza) to cross and wasn't too bad. Weather was ok on it. A bit foggy at the top.

Sponsor

Staff online