• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Come ski B.C. most places you can ski to and from car.

In our cold snaps weither you want to gear up in the parking lot is up to you. I find putting layers and boots on below -20c iuncomfortable but when stripping off at the end of day your easily good for 10 degrees less.

On those days we put the beer in a cooler to keep it warm enough to drink.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
The coldest morning boot up so far this year was at -7° F. But there was a nice breeze to go with it. After booting up and pulling the skis out we jump back in the warm car to warm our fingers and put on, mask, hat, goggles & gloves. Otherwise we make a dash to the lodge bathroom (long drive) and tighten the boots & stuff on the way out of the lodge.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
My boots have a walk mode. More often than I'd like, when I boot up in the parking lot, I ski along for a while and eventually find myself on something steep and/or bumpy and realise. Oh, I'm still in walk mode.

Last spring when the boots were new and i was new to skiing again, mine did that. :)

I hate booting up in the lot, but did/used to use walk mode in the lodges because they all have stairs between the main level and the bathrooms.

This year, more than a few times, i remembered on the way down the slope: "Oh, i never reset the walk mode lever".
But this year my focus has been pressuring the front of the boots. It seems mine reset when the fronts are pressured. At least that's all i can figure.

As a side note, i learned on here that the sloppiness ("Might be in walk mode?") was due to excessive boot volume, exacerated by the liners starting to pack in. Can't afford to address that 'til next season.

smt

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Can't wait until my name comes up for a full gear locker at Whitefish. Been there 17 years and only put our name on the list five years ago (stupid, I know). That said, you don't get to "keep" the locker. Has to be cleared out at season's end - I wanted to decorate like my kids do (think lot's of Franz Klammer pictures)
19 year locker owner tip. Skip the pictures. Get a narrow shoe pocket system and hang it on the door. Holds spare mittens, balaclavas, and other light weight (you don't want to damage the door) things that could have been left at home or need to be swapped for dry ones midday.

This one fits:
MISSLO Heavy Duty Over Door...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As a side note, i learned on here that the sloppiness ("Might be in walk mode?") was due to excessive boot volume, exacerated by the liners starting to pack in. Can't afford to address that 'til next season.

smt

I have, of course, had walk/ski mechanisms apart. Many times.

I can neither confirm nor deny that, in trying to do odd idea things with forward lean, I've ever rebuilt the mechanism backwards and only realised it in use. :eek:

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
19 year locker owner tip. Skip the pictures. Get a narrow shoe pocket system and hang it on the door. Holds spare mittens, balaclavas, and other light weight (you don't want to damage the door) things that could have been left at home or need to be swapped for dry ones midday.

This one fits:
MISSLO Heavy Duty Over Door...
Thanks. This is a good idea. Wasn't really going to put in pictures - my main complaint is the fact that I need to empty the locker at season's end.
Would be nice to just have the locker and not worry about clearing and loading it each season (1st world problems I guess).
Was really dumb to just not get a locker back in 2005 when I got there.

James

Out There
Instructor
In Taos we brought a camp chair from the rental house garage. It was too low. The tailgate on the rental Explorer was too high. Grumble....
Surely Tony was in charge of procuring the chair. If it was the right height, it would’ve broken the first time you used it. So, count yourself lucky.

There’s no way we’d be able to function this year without people booting up in the lot. There’s not enough space for the cars many days! There’s actually been people parking in town and walking up the hill in ski boots. That’s got to be 20 minutes and steep. There not enough space for everyone to boot up in the lodge.

I find it’s more the post ski taking off that I dislike more. The sitting down and yapping while the boots warm up is far more enjoyable than sitting in a car.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yup. We've had our locker at the local hill since my daughter was a freshman in high school and she'll be 38 this year. Sib's tip on the shoe system works great (although ours is a slightly different configuration. I don't leave much in it over the summer, but it's nice to return to the same location every year.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Surely Tony was in charge of procuring the chair. If it was the right height, it would’ve broken the first time you used it. So, count yourself lucky.

There’s no way we’d be able to function this year without people booting up in the lot. There’s not enough space for the cars many days! There’s actually been people parking in town and walking up the hill in ski boots. That’s got to be 20 minutes and steep. There not enough space for everyone to boot up in the lodge.

I find it’s more the post ski taking off that I dislike more. The sitting down and yapping while the boots warm up is far more enjoyable than sitting in a car.
Haven't been to Okemo in 4 or 5 years. We used to park and boot up at Jackson Gore. Good strategy for parking and for shorter lines to get on the hill. Bad strategy for après ski Ludlow traffic jam.

Sponsor

Staff online