• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2016 Aspen Gathering

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Figured I would get this started.

Michel and I flew into Denver yesterday. We had originally booked a room for Denver and Glenwood Springs for Sat night depending on what the weather was doing as our lodging at Snowmass didn't start until Sun. After checking the weather at home Fri evening we cancelled Glenwood Springs as it didn't look like we could get there and we were right.

Our rental car was just a FWD Altima + All Seasons and I was sweating bullets wether we could get up at all on Sunday. Woke up this morning and 2 in on the ground in W Denver and the roads to Aspen snow packed and icy the whole way. Decided to go for it about 9:30AM and after an absolute white knuckle drive we are ensconced in our lodging and the car is parked for good until our departure 8 Feb
icon14.gif

It started snowing in Glenwood Springs and has been non stop light to moderate since with a Winter Storm Warning in effect for Mon/Tue. See everyone soon.

IMG_5608.JPG

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good to see everyone rolling in. Will be in Crested Butte for couple more days.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My Phillly flight is still listed as on time, leaving in 2 plus hours. Could be an adventure getting to Aspen. Garyskr is enroute, hope his roads to Denver remain open as he is picking me up at the airport.
40 plus years ago, my first Rocky Mtn experience was in Aspen. Took us 14 hours to get from Denver to Aspen due to snow....what goes around, may just come around again.

Be safe all.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lots O'snow here in Copper. We are getting ready for tomorrow and Tuesdays testing before heading to Aspen. If you want to stop for a break and a "how the hell are ya doin"..call me. Yes, I am not sleeping.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Driving through the storms today from Breck to Boulder so we can get the house ready for the dog-sitter, place the dogs in the house, and do some much-needed laundry. Then turning around and driving back up I-70 tomorrow.

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Skier
Well it was a great albeit tiring day at Snowmass today.

My first day of the season and my first run was fresh tracks down Bonzai and Bonzai Ridge after catching Village Express at 8:35. Struggled a little but what a way to start a season/trip:eek:gcool

Spent the rest of the morning skiing with Michel off the Gondola. Hit up High Alpine for left over crud in the afternoon which was still deep and fun. Michel serendipitously ran into Gathering attendee Neonorchid on the Gondola late in the afternoon.

Safe travels everyone.

My lovely wife (skittle) under the gondola

IMG_5612.JPG

Deep crud skiers right off the High Alpine lift

IMG_5616.JPG

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Skier
Good to see based on the various gathering threads that people are getting in ok.

Michel & I spent our second day of the trip at Buttermilk. Neither of us had been before and what a joy it was.

Perfect terrain for Michel and while it's much lower angle than I generally prefer, It does have one amazing attribute at least on this day. The limited higher angle stuff there is isn't skied by many. This results in Powder shots that can easily be found all day
yahoo.gif

Michel & I at times rode the same lift and I could go play in the powder while she cruised on a groomer.

Massive line for first chair

IMG_5624.JPG

Highlands from the top of Buttermilk

IMG_5627.JPG

Leftovers at 1:45

IMG_5630.JPG

Just before heading to lunch at 12:30 and yes the best track is mine:)

IMG_5634.JPG

Michel just prior to starting our last run of the day

IMG_5636.JPG

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Skier
A little impromptu dinner get together at a place called Base Camp at Snowmass. Turns out all of us minus KevinF are staying at Snowmass Inn and Kevin is right next door at the Mountain Chalet:eek:gcool

From bottom left we have Mgiddyup, Kasuncion boyfriend Peter, Kasuncion, Bounceswoosh, Bounceswoosh husband Eric, KevinF and Rainbow Jenny

IMG_5641.JPG

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Skier
Official day one on the snow in the books. I spent the day skiing with Lofcaudio and Drewder after getting Michel on terrain she could handle. After a quick groomer we did 4 runs in nice soft crud with Lofcaudio showing us around as I had never skied Aspen Mountain before. Then a quick lunch break at the Sky Deck before Lofcaudio, Drewder and I headed over to Buttermilk as Lofcaudio and Drewder wanted to check it out.

And BTW, Lofcaudio still considers himself an upper intermediate but I would say he has crossed the threshold to advanced. Drewder is only on his 2nd day on skis after an 8yr hiatus and is also skiing well.

Snow is amazing everywhere as 35-38in over the last 3 days with cold temps will tend to do that. The sun made a bit of an appearance today also.

Drewder enjoying the soft stuff at Ajax
IMG_5643.JPG

Beginning of the lunch crew featuring Dbostedo, Old Boot, Bob Barnes and Philpug

IMG_5647.JPG

Soft Crud at Ajax with Lofcaudio foreground and Drewder Background

IMG_5652.JPG

Drewder in the crud at Buttermilk

IMG_5662.JPG

Drewder more in the crud:)

IMG_5666.JPG

Lofcaudio in good form

IMG_5675.JPG

And lastly Highland bowl as seen from top of Buttermilk

IMG_5681.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I flailed a bit today, but I flailed in the unbelievable and unexpected knee to higher powder I encountered in various trees at Ajax. Man oh man. I did manage to link like four turns at one point in the aspen to the left of Sieberts. Also I fail at photo-taking.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was a short day for me out there today but it was great to see some faces I haven't seen in about a year. See you all tomorrow at Snowmass and Zane's after, at 4:30!

Sponsor