• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh I'm jealous.. Does anyone think they'll make it til June 7-12th? I want a repeat of 2019...

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Do you think that Stump will survive through Memorial Day? What about Ch. 1? Inquiring minds want to know.

We are planning one more trip before the end. Hoping to move from 55 to 60 days for the season.
Everyone who is up here says Mammoth is losing ~5 inches per day and that day to day losses of snowpack are noticeable. Mammoth Snowman estimates chair 2 has about a week left. Based upon past history an educated guess would be that they will maintain a strip to the weekend of May 22-23. Mammoth Snowman thinks a strip on Broadway will be the only lower run open Memorial Day, though that prediction may be a little conservative.

A strip is being maintained in front of the Mill to allow a return from chair 5. Solitude was groomed yesterday and had the best corn on the mountain as it was accessible only from Dave's Run. But that grooming means chair 5 will run this weekend and may not after that.

The spring skiing is very good now but the sooner you get up to Mammoth the better in terms of more runs open with better coverage. That said, this Saturday/Sunday might not be so good with rain showers predicted.

I drove down early from So Tahoe and skied from a few minutes after opening until 2 pm close with a longer than usual break at the Mill where my helmet made the picture but I didn't. Great seeing and skiing with everyone again.

We had two good laps on Dave's leading to the corn on 5 and were going to do a third, but gondola was having issues so we spent afternoon on chair 23 with a few race course runs to the Main Lodge. Will start a little later today and drive back to Bay Area after skiing via Sonora Pass which opened before Mother's Day weekend. First picture from chair 2 at 7:45.
1775OnStump@745.JPG

Next two pictures are Tony Crocker in Wipe Out 3 where entrance is soon going to require removing skis. Snow was great ~130.
1782TonyCWipeout3.JPG
1788Tony3WipeOut3Minarets.JPG

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
As of 7:05, chr 10 is not spinning, no maze set up, no lift op.
Doesn’t look good for 5 & 10 today, maybe sat & sun ???

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lift report doesn't show those chairs as planned. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Hopefully the rain will occur as afternoon thunderstorms when skiing is over for the day. Also temps seem to be cooling into next week. Grasping at straws here

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
5&10 expected to run sat & sun
Get it while you can
Next week looks sketch

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Final day for me today - the entire week did not disappoint, exceeding expectations, but today was the Woodfords cherry on top (in spite of the annoying weekender arrivals)
Hit the ripening corn almost perfectly, timed my break to wet snow wax well, banged out joyful turns on the racer vacated Andy’s and Fascination (thank you Stockli SL VSTs!).
Is it next Spring yet?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn my trickling furniture delivery making me miss spring skiing for the first year in many! Ah well, next year we will be in Reno for winter and spring! Enjoy everybody!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the invitation. We had so much going on here today that we needed to bail early yesterday. Looks great!

I spy some sightseeing activities at Crowley Lake!

View attachment 133719 View attachment 133720 View attachment 133721
Hiking to the Crowley Lake columns after a day of skiing has been officially endorsed by The Ministry of Bad Ideas.
View attachment 133722
Oh wow! I had no idea. @Wendy next time we need to plan time for this!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Started the day about 8:15 with FlowSki demos. See SKI AT A HIGHER LEVEL | all terrain : safety : performance (floskis.com)

First run on Stump they seemed like regular skis as no adjustment was needed. Second run I started feeling the natural arc as bindings are only attached to about an inch in the center of the ski. We took took them to one of the Race Course runs (Andy's) on Broadway where they also turned well on firmer snow. On the way back to the Mill we took Face Lift where skis also were fun although I uncovered a football sized rock that rolled all the way down the hill. I still feel bad about base damage I did, even though it was unavoidable and I always ski demos liked they are my own skis.

We rode 23 and skied Cornice about 9:30 and found it was already softer than later on previous day. We next skied Climax where snow was good where steep, but flatter apron was too soft and best exited by traversing towards Saddle Bowl. Next time up we skied Dave’s where it was sticky requiring more poling than previous day getting to it, and on the exit, although steep part was good as was the part of Solitude we skied. The route from base of 5 to the Mill looked a lot different that previous day and was getting sticky. Next time up after repeating Dave’s I hiked to the top of 5 to ski all of Solitude that Racers had been on early and had left in great shape.

Other highlights were Road Runner, which looked groomed way past where we turned to Scotty’s; Wipe Out 2, where as predicted you could no longer get to 2 or 3 (and forget about 1 most of this season) without removing skis, and Gravy Chute, our last good run of the day and probably the season, which we should have done a couple of hours (or days?) earlier as entrance was rotten and required some side-stepping over and past rocks. I got on the road at 2, and after a stop to confirm that Tioga Pass was still closed and to take a couple of pictures of always amazing Mono Lake, and in Oakdale for fuel and fast food, was home about 7:30. Will post some pictures later (tomorrow).

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly we won't be making it back to Mammoth this coming week. We had something come up and Phil needs to fly to NC to pick up a vehicle and I will be meeting him in Denver, so we're taking ski gear and hitting A-Basin for a couple days on our way home.
Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have to roll with it.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Hope to come in 2 weeks, if snow is still there and creek doesn't rise.
Sadly can't do next week as plumbers are replacing all our copper pipes.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Earlier today I posted here making gratuitous fun of Tony Crocker and his glasses. I received some well deserved flak for it and the post was taken down. On reflection I realize that I owe him and his friends an apology, especially since he's not on the board to put me in my place. It was juvenile at best and potentially hurtful at worst. Wish I could take it back, but since I can't everyone should know that Tony C. is a very knowledgeable guy with a lot of interesting things to say about skiing. I'm sorry I painted a misleading satirical picture of him.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Looking at the cat track exit at the bottom of Daves.
DavesTo5ByMDF.jpg
I edited picture taken by @mdf that shows exit from Dave's to return to base of not-running yesterday chair 5.
Exit from Dave's is at center and was a lot browner and narrower yesterday. The short (3-4 minute) hike I took
to get to top of 5 is the diagonal of snow that ends near top of chair 5 visible at left center and was well worth it.

As promised a few more pictures from Friday. The first two were taken on Scotty's about 10 AM.
Wipe Out 3 is on left of first picture and (unskiable? or just difficult entrance) Monument on right. I annotated 2nd picture to show Paranoids.
1789TonyCScottys.JPG
1792TonyCScottys2NoidsAnnotated.JPG

The next two pictures are in Wipe Out 2. I entered by finding a flat spot to put skis back on after down-climbing a few feet from edge of melting out, and closed past entrance to Wipe Outs, Skyline at top center. Tony Crocker, who is a great tour guide for Spring (or any time) at Mammoth, entered by crossing ridge next to big rock at right that separates Wipe Out 2 from 3.
1799TonyCWipeOut2.JPG
1807TonyCWipeOut2.JPG

Some of Mono Lake from edge of 395 by turnoff to Visitor's Center. It is hard to catch the grandeur of the setting with dust devils on the playa, etc.
1808MonoLake.JPG
For those considering Mammoth from Bay Area when Tioga is closed, it's about 70 miles from Mammoth to 108 then 200 miles from 108/395 to my house in SE San Jose over Sonora Pass. But as I mentioned in another Mammoth thread, the 10 miles on both sides of 9624' pass are steep enough to use 1st gear in my automatic SUV plus careful use of brakes to control speed and not burn up brakes or warp rotors.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
For those considering Mammoth from Bay Area when Tioga is closed, it's about 70 miles from Mammoth to 108 then 200 miles from 108/395 to my house in SE San Jose over Sonora Pass. But as I mentioned in another Mammoth thread, the 10 miles on both sides of 9624' pass are steep enough to use 1st gear in my automatic SUV plus careful use of brakes to control speed and not burn up brakes or warp rotors.

Ah yes, take any opportunity on that stretch of 108 to stop and enjoy the view and let the brakes cool. Last year you had to have a "reservation" to drive thru 120, so we opted for 108 as we were checking out schools for our 17 yo DD. We let her drive to the coast, and she did great but we did stop for a bit to cool the brakes. There are a few pullouts along the way....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I spy some sightseeing activities at Crowley Lake!

View attachment 133719 View attachment 133720 View attachment 133721
That’s SO awesome! I HAVE to see this @Tricia !
@mdf , are those volcanic ash deposits that just weathered that way?

My connecting flight from Reno to LAX flew right over Yosemite, so I saw Half Dome from the air; also Mono Lake and Mammoth. Cool to see those things from a different perspective, but the Crowley Lake columns are amazing!!!!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 133829
I edited picture taken by @mdf that shows exit from Dave's to return to base of not-running yesterday chair 5.
Exit from Dave's is at center and was a lot browner and narrower yesterday. The short (3-4 minute) hike I took
to get to top of 5 is the diagonal of snow that ends near top of chair 5 visible at left center and was well worth it.

As promised a few more pictures from Friday. The first two were taken on Scotty's about 10 AM.
Wipe Out 3 is on left of first picture and (unskiable? or just difficult entrance) Monument on right. I annotated 2nd picture to show Paranoids.
View attachment 133832
View attachment 133833

The next two pictures are in Wipe Out 2. I entered by finding a flat spot to put skis back on after down-climbing a few feet from edge of melting out, and closed past entrance to Wipe Outs, Skyline at top center. Tony Crocker, who is a great tour guide for Spring (or any time) at Mammoth, entered by crossing ridge next to big rock at right that separates Wipe Out 2 from 3.
View attachment 133834
View attachment 133835

Some of Mono Lake from edge of 395 by turnoff to Visitor's Center. It is hard to catch the grandeur of the setting with dust devils on the playa, etc.
View attachment 133836
Stunning pic of Mono Lake, not to mention the Mammoth pics.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My connecting flight from Reno to LAX flew right over Yosemite, so I saw Half Dome from the air
I was on that flight a week ago. I was nearly asleep, it was getting dark, and I have never been to Yosemite. In fact until your post I'd forgotten that I was thinking to myself, in a dreamlike stupor, "That might be Half Dome down there."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online