• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

10th Mountain Division Returns to Colorado

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For those of you that don't know, several of the original members of the 10th Mountain Division were responsible for starting several of the Colorado Ski resorts after WWII. I have had the privilege of taking care of 4 of the original members. They had amazing stories to tell and their legacy lives on in Colorado.
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/21/10th-mountain-division-returns/

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They really were an amazing group. In addition to starting 60 ski areas they went on to be congressmen, CEOs, artists etc. Everyone in Colorado has a story about them. Here's wikipedia list.

People associated with the 10th Mountain Division later went on to achieve notability in other fields. Among these are anthropologistEric Wolf,[81]mathematicianFranz Alt,[82]avalanche researcher and forecasting pioneerMontgomery Atwater,[83]CongressmanLes AuCoin, mountaineer and teacher who helped develop equipment for the 10th Mountain Robert Bates, noted mountaineerFred Beckey,[84]United States Ski Team member andBlack Mountain of Maine resort co-founder Chummy Broomhall,[85] former American track and field coach and co-founder of Nike, Inc.Bill Bowerman,[86] former Executive Director and Sierra Club leader David R. Brower,[87]former United States Ski Team member World War II civilian mountaineer trainer H. Adams Carter, former Senate Majority Leader and Presidential candidate Bob Dole,[88] champion skier Dick Durrance, ski resort pioneer John Elvrum,[89] Norwegian-American skier Sverre Engen, fashion illustrator Joe Eula, Olympic equestrianEarl Foster Thomson, civilian founder of the National Ski PatrolCharles Minot Dole,[46] painter Gino Hollander,PaleoclimatologistJohn Imbrie,[90] theoretical physicist Francis E. Low,[91] US downhill ski champion Toni Matt,[92] falconer and educator Morley Nelson, comic book artist Earl Norem,[93] founder of National Outdoor Leadership School and The Wilderness Education Association Paul Petzoldt, world downhill ski champion Walter Prager, retired broadcasting executive William Lowell Putnam III, Massachusetts GovernorFrancis W. Sargent, World War II civilian ski instructor and division trainer Hannes Schneider, founder of Vail Ski ResortPete Seibert, actor and Olympic medalist Floyd Simmons, historian and author Page Smith,[94] members of the famous von Trapp familysingers Werner von Trapp and Rupert von Trapp,[95]Rawleigh Warner, Jr., Chairman and CEO of Mobil, civilian technical adviser Fritz Wiessner,[96]William John Wolfgram,[97] Olympic Ski jumper Gordon Wren, Massachusetts Congressional candidate Nathan Bech,[98] leader of Chalk 4 during the Battle of Mogadishu Matt Eversmann,[99] Middle East analyst, blogger, and author Andrew Exum, and author Craig Mullaney.[100]

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Back around 1980 had the pleasure of night skiing at Bretton Woods, NH with my Great Uncle’s neighbor who served in the 10th Mountain. True pioneers that helped develop the sport as we know it today.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am fascinated with the 10th Mountain Division. @SkiNurse I would love to have been a fly on the wall when you were blessed with the stories.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We used to ski with a 10th Mountain Man at Vail. He moved there from Aspen and skied every day of the season into his 80's. (skied 88 days in 2013 to match how old he was.) The most graceful, efficient skier I've ever seen.
He only put the boards up recently and reluctantly.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Oh, huh. I didn't know Fred Beckey was in the 10th mtn division. I knew of him vaguely from the climbing community, he would occasionally show up at the Gunks- this really old dude and he was always climbing with his entourage of several young lithe women. Dude has game.

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was growing up, I was around a number of the 10th Mountain Division men, friends of my father and mother. My father was also a World War II veteran, and these guys had a lot in common, did a lot of things together, including ski.

Robert Bates (Bob), also of the 10th Mt. Division, and his brother, Bill, were my English teachers at boarding school, my favorite teachers there. Bob was also the faculty adviser of the climbing club, who took us fledgling climbers out on Wednesday afternoons and weekends to learn and practice rope work. What a kind man. We climbed the Pinnacles, next to Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington on one of those trips.

Bob was the nicest man. He and his friend from the K2 Expedition, Dr. Charles Houston (whose son was also in the climbing club), lived in town and wrote a great book together about their K2 Expedition, K2, The Savage Mountain. It's well worth reading, fantastic book.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A bit off track but I was impressed.
This Summer I had the privilege of working with a surviving member of Doolittle's Raiders. The man is in his 90's but his mind is still there. There can't be many of these guys left either.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ADKmel father was in 10th Mountain Division if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE

Yes My Dad W William Charles was in the 10th, C-86, he trained at Cooper Mt. I have a photo from the 40's of them all lined up in their ski gear at Cooper. My Dad was leading the charge up Riva Ridge and Mt Belevedere, breaking the German's back.

He was a GREAT skier and I thank him (and miss him) every day I'm so glad that he taught me how to ski. He also was one of the first National Ski Patrollers on the East coast, he was Section Chief for a long time and lucky me I got to go with him to Stowe, Mad River, Glen Ellen and other places while he was examiner for Ski Patrols. There are still several reunions, sadly many have passed on but many in the 10th are the reason skiing is where it is today. The reunions are really fun, there are still many 10th on snow making turns! Attached is a photo of my Dad at Tuckerman's he and his buddies (several 10th) went every year for spring skiing. he may have been on his 10th Mt skis in this photo :)

Attachments

• dad at tuckermans.jpg
    dad at tuckermans.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 24

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
In the early 70's, on my first trip to the Rockies, I had an interaction with members of the 10th Mtn. Division. Our bus trip from Denver to Aspen, done prior to the Eisenhower Tunnel, encountered a pretty good snow storm. Traffic on I-70 in the Vail Pass section was moving very slowly east of Vail, when it was waved down by a group of cross-county skiers. It was nighttime and still snowing, so they were trying to get back to Vail. There were seats on the bus, so many came on board. They identified themselves as members of the 10th who were at a reunion at Vail. That morning, they relived the old days by hiking up the Vail pass, went too far, and got stranded in the storm. My father was a combat infantry officer in WW2, and, I've always made it a point of talking to vets of that era, so I joined them for a few miles. The bus driver made it a point to get them to their hotel at Vail, and, a bunch of happy vets left us...to see their concerned but smiling families anxiously awaiting their return. 30 years after Riva Ridge, they were not in same great shape.

The vets of WW2 are often referred to as "the greatest generation", I will always champion that designation.

On the only downside, after driving through 9 hours of Rocky Mtn. snow, upon arrival in Aspen, there was not one flake of new snow. Spent 6 days in crystal clear blue skis, never saw a cloud.

Bruce

AKA NoCleverName
Skier
One of our ski club's co-founders was 10th MD Norm Torgensen. The club is fittingly located on NH RT 302 the "10th Mtn Division Highway" which itself passes by Attitash/Bear Peak, Bretton Woods, and Shawnee Peak in Maine.

Sponsor