• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, Luv looks very close. @Ken_R nailed the Beaver Creek forecast, they got 9”. Vail Pass started to go downhill yesterday afternoon. Was headed to Glenwood Springs as ms. nay had work today in Rifle. So we soaked @ Iron Mountain for 2 hours yesterday evening and then I rode while she worked. I worked, too, just not while she worked.

Oh, and some tire discussion incoming. You know how it’s gonna go, I’m not in the winky blanket left lane, I’m passing in the mostly unused right lane at quite a bit too much speed. Losers.

ECB05781-1674-4C6C-8215-BAA87D003E61.jpeg DECBA9E4-963B-4B08-8877-58C92E4C75F4.jpeg

Rifle must have gotten some decent rain. I’d have felt bad riding in what was mostly clay, totally unexpected, but this mostly moto trail and they were out riding.

F51B4C5F-5E77-42C1-AFC5-C089DF59F3DA.jpeg

People also driving to drive up stuff you can’t drive up.

AA7A8208-9799-43AC-8CAA-78B6B29439DD.jpeg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In other semi-news, Keystone yesterday was.... challenging. Cold, dust on crust, high winds and gusty.

Too windy (up top) to open the gondola, so the chairlift in front of the gondola opened instead at the last minute, right at 9 a.m. Mad dash to that other lift, where it was announced it would probably run at half speed due to wind, so please be patient with them if there developed a log jam downloading on it at the end of the ski day.

They'd posted the same cam snow depth photo for two days, so it was really from the day before when I went for first gondola - and 3"+, I and others thought. Nope. Instead, high winds, snowing, nice groomer corduroy. The snow from the previous day (~3") had either been groomed in, skied off or blown off. And more of an (Epic) fresh snow crowd showed up. To no avail!

(It was still fun - skiing is skiing, after all, and the conditions kept the lines from ever getting too long;
but tiring/cold for an old guy.)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So Loveland announced around 1 p.m. they are opening at 8:30 Saturday, one run, the usual. Boy, Saturday. Dunno. Maybe?
I'll be there soon ... but probably not on Saturday. Have to pick up my pass and don't particularly want to be waiting in a super long line to get it. Maybe in the afternoon, or, more likely, sometime during the week.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Winter Park announced no reservation system or mask requirements outdoors. All lifts and gondolas will be filled as to prior covid 19. All indoor restaurants will be open and if vaccinated you will not be required to wear a mask but encouraged to do so. unvaccinated will be required to wear a mask.

will be interesting to see if number's spike.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Looks like you found a chair big enough for my fat ass.
Love it. Kelty seat is best.
Loveland Valley. Is it just for racers, or come Saturday or soon (?) is it open to the public also (except on the runs with gate setups), as has been the case in past seasons for most of the days? Thanks.
Just racers for now. Aim to open to public weekend before tgiving—weather and construction of new base facilities permitting.

Just a few free ski runs between teams.

ABB7ABFC-35CB-4EA5-BD7E-4A48DABAFEFE.jpeg

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m probably going to be skiing Keystone Tue for my 1st turns of the year. If anyone is going to be there as well would love to get together for a few runs.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, have to give them another go. I was at Keystone today, only 1 1/2" but really great: still not a rock, no lines, not crowded on the slopes, very long run with a lot of interest.

For so long, Loveland was a favorite, to me. But last year for me there were a lot of negatives, especially the lift line employees screaming at folks, and how long and close together the lines were, day after day. I was glad when other places opened, and I never went back. I feel the same reluctance to overcome this year; but they seem to be getting a lot of good snow, no lines, so what's not to like?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Keystone has been a real sleeper. I've been three times. Twice last week, and today. As @ski otter 2 points out, no rocks at all, no more than a 2 to 3 chair wait at worst and plenty of room to rip some nice long runs.

IMG_20211101_093503_DRO.jpg
Really easy skiing today. The clouds persisted until at least 11:30 when I left.

IMG_20211101_114021_DRO.jpg
I should have snapped this on my arrival. The pansies were peeking out of the fresh snow. Someone needs to shut down the little waterfall and pond soon.

strava6646433482178451995.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yes, have to give them another go. I was at Keystone today, only 1 1/2" but really great: still not a rock, no lines, not crowded on the slopes, very long run with a lot of interest.

For so long, Loveland was a favorite, to me. But last year for me there were a lot of negatives, especially the lift line employees screaming at folks, and how long and close together the lines were, day after day. I was glad when other places opened, and I never went back. I feel the same reluctance to overcome this year; but they seem to be getting a lot of good snow, no lines, so what's not to like?
I struggled with Loveland being the go to overflow area last year - it kinda sucked all season. Everybody padded restrictions at their home mountain with ability to snag days at Loveland, it seems, and they weren’t prepared to manage it.

Being Monarch based this season as a family for entirely other reasons means I only have 3 trade days at Loveland and I’m saving those for something tasty. Otherwise it’s A-Basin for me since I do have a season pass - figure they should be open top to bottom soon and when that happens I‘ll snag Day 2.

Heck we get 3 days at Copper off of Monarch. Pretty damn stoked about that, it’s been a few years since I’ve skied there.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Monarch-based seems like a really neat, unusual adventure of a year, to me, especially coming from the west side, and with all the family interest in it.

Thanks for the great explanation of what was happening last season at Loveland. I had not figured that out, and it makes the puzzle pieces fit together, finally. A better season may well be in store for them and those who go there regularly.

Reactions: nay

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I struggled with Loveland being the go to overflow area last year - it kinda sucked all season. Everybody padded restrictions at their home mountain with ability to snag days at Loveland, it seems, and they weren’t prepared to manage it.

It really didn't help that the first 1/2 of the year was an atrocious snow year which meant terrain was very slow to open. Hopeful for this year...

Reactions: nay

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

Being Monarch based this season as a family for entirely other reasons means I only have 3 trade days at Loveland and I’m saving those for something tasty. Otherwise it’s A-Basin for me since I do have a season pass - figure they should be open top to bottom soon and when that happens I‘ll snag Day 2.

Heck we get 3 days at Copper off of Monarch. Pretty damn stoked about that, it’s been a few years since I’ve skied there.
Last year at LL was such a s@!tshoe that I won’t be buying a pass there for the first time in many years.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It really didn't help that the first 1/2 of the year was an atrocious snow year which meant terrain was very slow to open. Hopeful for this year...

There is a good chance it will be much better than last season but thats not too difficult to achieve.

That said, if the current La Niña doesnt get much stronger we are in for a rough time, kinda like last season. Colorado is right on the edge, right now it could go either way but as weeks go by without significant storms (think 12~24" at Lov) the chances of it being a good season start to drop significantly. A great spring is always in the cards though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online