• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I remember a storm prediction like that several years ago around this time. Like 2 ft predicted for Abasin, so I changed my flight. Can’t remember what we got, but it was probably under six inches.
It could have been this:
20170518_114837_8.jpg
May 18th, 2017

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
These storms are the ones that produce very very heavy snow in the alpine close to the divide. It is usually too cold and dry up there but this time of year its just too warm down lower so only up there is there the chance for precip to be all snow throughout the storm hence big time totals, we will see. Not expecting much in Denver, mostly VERY welcome rain.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, here in Silverthorne it's still hard to imagine: No snow on the ground and it got to be over 70 degrees (73 right now). But for that gathering wind, and sudden increasing bursts.....

(Man, today was just a beautiful cream cheese and slush day at the Bay. Very few people. First chair. Very fun skiing. No rocks hit as yet. I did not know that my Blossom Whiteouts would do so much better changing the bevels from 1/2 to .7/3 when I flattened the bases. And that needed full tune I'd just put on those puppies by hand was just right - very satisfying. Boy, almost Christmas here in springtime.) :)

The season may be nearly over, but one of the folks I was skiing with today, who I sat down to lunch with, I asked what he'd do next.

Turns out he was actively planning about his next step, going to Australia to surf and scuba come June 18, then on to New Zealand to ski and mountaineer, then on to Chile and Argentina to ski the rest of the summer into the fall. After a season of more than 210 days skiing, only 14 days missed, he said. (Below his normal count, he said.) Holy Moly. No end in sight for the stoke.
(Oh, and the man is 67.) :) Whew.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
92ºF at my house in Denver today. Wow. Waiting for the storm. Super windy this afternoon around here.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
92ºF at my house in Denver today. Wow. Waiting for the storm. Super windy this afternoon around here.
Went riding today, it was hot. Quite the change from skiing yesterday.

07C40AEA-573B-4106-85A6-D1A69A04702D.jpeg

Now waiting to see if we get a foot and a half and prepping for as much save the trees work as we can. I have a lot of big pines, can only do so much with them, but the smaller ones you have to keep up with in storms like this.

The forestalling of our part of the state burning down is more than welcome, and A-Basin may get an extension weekend out of it.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
After reading the report on MJ by @tball I went up the day after, Wednesday, I have a house in Grand Lake so it's closer than A Basin. As he said the bumps were pretty good and really enjoyable. Some of the other terrain they had open was pretty limited and questionable. Here's a picture of lower Arrowhead I believe. It was actually kind of fun to ski. After skiing the bumps above and then a nice open groomer there was this challenge to finish it off.

There's about 4 inches at my house now and snowing hard.

IMG_5613.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After reading the report on MJ by @tball I went up the day after, Wednesday, I have a house in Grand Lake so it's closer than A Basin. As he said the bumps were pretty good and really enjoyable. Some of the other terrain they had open was pretty limited and questionable. Here's a picture of lower Arrowhead I believe. It was actually kind of fun to ski. After skiing the bumps above and then a nice open groomer there was this challenge to finish it off.

There's about 4 inches at my house now and snowing hard.

View attachment 169614

That actually looks fun since there is no one there. That run should be pow pow tomorrow after the storm. Love how WP has manicured the excess vegetation on the trails. They seem to have followed what Vail has been doing for a few years.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That actually looks fun since there is no one there. That run should be pow pow tomorrow after the storm. Love how WP has manicured the excess vegetation on the trails. They seem to have followed what Vail has been doing for a few years.
Maybe, but the lush tall grass and flower vegetation on most trails at Copper during the summer and fall is so beautiful, and so much more interesting for hiking, as well as for critters, the butterflies and bees.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Only about an inch in Silverthorne so far. :crossfingers:

(Man, as I was just reading this thread, a bald eagle flying low along the river spooked a great blue heron into flight, into the grey skies and light flurries.)

Snow should get really cranking tonight. Upslope is forecasted to be deep and strong up to 650MB elevation which is crazy so the divide should get extremely heavy snow. Usually strong upslope ends at around 11k ft elevation or less, not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online