• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mammoth’s been getting a lot of mileage out of that sign the last few years !!
Headed up this weekend for our usual 3rd week of December trip, usually works out for some reason.
I have a feeling everyone else is going this weekend too.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.32.14 AM.png

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.35.04 AM.png

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Skiing rare extra deep dry cold powder beside adequate technique is a matter of having adequate floatation. Although multi foot deep storm cycles occur each year along the Pacific Coast that many advanced skiers ski well, it is much more rare to ski such depths when snow is super light. Before the current storm with frigid continental arctic air, the last such storm may have been January 21, 2017 when I skied at 7.5k after a 56 inch storm with snow levels down into the 1000 foot foothills thus snow during single digit and teen digit temperatures.

Early morning when just a couple lifts had opened, as a test I took out some 90mm at waist skis and just as you related, was bogged down way deep at my crotch down in the snow so much only could do much on steep slopes that I could hardly call turning.

Then back at my Forester, this light male that is 5'6" 135# put on my 2012 Rossignol 175cm S7's that are 110mm at the boot and had little problem making bouncy S turns all day even though most others could not. What one cannot see in the above image is my like SSS tracks for a long ways above the convex slope.

DodgeR_ch8b.jpg

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mammoth just hosted the Toyota Grand Prix of Snowboarding and Freeski (and it's an olympic qualifier).

Funny part is over at Chair 6, the staff was telling people to watch out for the participants...as they will run you over as you make it to the chair 6 line. MM Toyota GP.jpg

Last edited:
TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Sunday wasn’t the travel day I had anticipated.
it was fun watching the skiing final at main park though.
Serious talent .
Snow was hero, weather was great
Should be a good week :daffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online