• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Steamboat Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
We've also got First Tracks through the sVIP program. We stay at a motel in town, so the most difficult problem of getting to the gondola in time will be making sure my gf gets up (her motto is: "morning starts much too early in the day").

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m planning a trip to Steamboat with my siblings and families mid-February. I‘ve only been once, 17 years ago. I’ll be arriving a day before the rest of the group, so need to find one-night lodging for myself. I won’t have a car, so need something on a shuttle or bus route to mountain, or on mountain. Any recommendations?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m planning a trip to Steamboat with my siblings and families mid-February. I‘ve only been once, 17 years ago. I’ll be arriving a day before the rest of the group, so need to find one-night lodging for myself. I won’t have a car, so need something on a shuttle or bus route to mountain, or on mountain. Any recommendations?
Read my resort guide. Link on page 1.

i would call the resort and see what they have. Often you can get a single night room very inexpensively if they just need to fill out a week. There are several hotel options all have shuttles. Rabbit ears down town is a fantastic option as is Nordic lodge.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! I did look at your guide, and will look again. I’m just overwhelmed as I’m used to skiing closer to home, which is usually simple.
Steamboat is really simple to get around, many of the condos mgnt companies run shuttles.

Might check with where you're all staying, maybe they'll add a day super cheap if there's a gap.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat is really simple to get around, many of the condos mgnt companies run shuttles.

Might check with where you're all staying, maybe they'll add a day super cheap if there's a gap.
Thanks. We don’t have a place for the group booked yet. Hopefully we find something (my brother and his wife are in charge of that).

I booked a room at a hotel with a shuttle to the mountain for the one night. I don’t have much time for looking at options, but it didn’t seem to be too bad of a deal for a ski town.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Wooooo finally booked HDN flights so I'm in Feb 20-24 - will ski my legs off 21, 22 and 23rd. Hate to make it so short but gotta get back east to take Scout Troop to Winterplace, WV that Friday the 25th. Hope to see some of y'all there and make some turns.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Just for grins, I looked up the one-day advance purchase lift ticket price for Vail vs Steamboat for Christmas week,

Vail: $209
Steamboat: $249

And on a run of the mill day in January Vail is $179 while Steamboat is $205

Whaaaat?

Now who is the Evil Empire?
11-25-2021 2-54-23 PM.jpg 11-25-2021 2-53-51 PM.jpg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall Vail Resorts had a 20% discount on season passes, wonder if the discounts are also being applied to day passes (and Epic Day passes)?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall Vail Resorts had a 20% discount on season passes, wonder if the discounts are also being applied to day passes (and Epic Day passes)?
They are. But prices just went up on November 21st, so it's less discount now.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Here's the outlook for the week according to OpenSnow, the forecasts dont match but its still looking good and more importantly, the temps are favorable for making snow and it not melting. Although the long term trend shows temps back up to the freezing point next weekend.

125.png 125a.png

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So for all of you coming out to the Boat this season, we are in the midst of a real storm and are hoping for the full 20" predicted. No sugar coating things, its really bad right now, The resort is doing the best they can with the weather they have. I will update you as soon as possible but please keep in mind, its still really early in the season and things can easily turn around. AS I type, its snowing heavily on the top of the Mountain. Hang in there!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Its still snowing here, and the summit is experiencing full on winter. Its -1 with 33 mph gusts. I think the temp has remained the same all day. I I've at just under 6900 so we get what the base area gets. I would call it about 5". I would say the mid-mountain totals, which are at the same level as the Thunderhead lodge (Gondi terminal) probably got 9-10" in total.

They opened half the width of Heavenly Daze today but otherwise its still that and Sitz to Vogue. The mountain is very crowded as you might expect so I did not go up today.

129b.png

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
I'm heading to Steamboat next week on the 20th and have been watching the trail status. I'm confused and was hoping someone on this thread might be able to enlighten me about something. Yesterday on the Steamboat.com website there were 7 trails open, but when you looked at the grooming map there were way way more trails groomed. I'm not sure why there would be so many trails groomed but not open. Of course I have some ideas, but they are mostly speculation as I don't have much ski industry insider experience.
And when you look at Open Snow, and Snotel the area snow pack is average or just below average.
I thought the storm last Friday would have made things better, although I realize things this winter haven't been going so great in Colorado.
I'm really at a loss.
My wife isn't so happy, as there are less trails open than Copper, or Winter Park, or almost anywhere else and wants to go to one of those places instead. I hate to change without more information, as I haven't been to Steamboat yet and want to check it out.
I thought, maybe labor shortage of lifties, labor shortage of ski patrol, the resort wants to concentrate on opening and not maintaining trails as maybe there aren't many people there now, maybe the trails are groomed but still not safe/deep enough, maybe Steamboat historically doesn't open much until a certain date, and I could probably come up with more.
Any insights?

Thanks!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The answer is that we just dont have enough snow. The upper mountain does have 80% of the normal snowpack, but the lower mountain has much less. As of today, there is only Heavenly Daze to the base and the top of the Christy lift, Sitz down Vogue and to the base. I dont have any insider info but I would near guarantee they will open the upper mountain for the Christmas rush beginning around the 20th. They always do however, I cant guarantee the conditions.

we are expecting another 5-10" tomorrow so things are improving.

I will say all of Colorado (with the exception of Wolf Creek) is in the same boat. too little snow, too many skiers. Im going to look at the Steamboat site now and will update.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online