• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw the pics earlier over the weekend. Didn't realize it was Donner Ski Ranch :geek:

When they were in bankruptcy 15-20 years ago, Boreal put together a bid to buy and connect as one resort. Still wouldn't have had the greatest terrain, but probably would have been a better plan for everybody in the long run. Too bad it didn't work out. I like Boreal's vibe even if their terrain is sadly lacking. My take on Donner Ski Ranch has always been that I don't know if I would feel safe there. I've never been.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Boreal put together a bid to buy and connect as one resort. Still wouldn't have had the greatest terrain, but probably would have been a better plan for everybody in the long run.
That would have been a really nice expansion. Give Boreal a "backside" and a second mountain. Along the top of Boreal ridge, the few times I have been there, I always saw tracks going over and down towards Donner Ski Ranch and their chairs not spinning on the side facing Boreal.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This morning is the first day in 18 days that I've been able to raise my right arm up with any palm orientation and not felt any pain twinges in my supraspinatus tendonitis. So is continuing to heal nicely thus just may get back to skiing Thursday/Friday when forecast at 8k is sunny, lower 40F highs, with only slight breeze that by mid day ought soften up surface firmness. If not, then more likely after the following weekend. Note minor snow in forecast for January 31, about where we began the season last winter.

Over the last 3 seasons have occasionally skied Heavenly on Saturdays if fresh snowfall but otherwise is all midweek. Up on the mountain in singles line rarely more than just a few minutes lift wait and given my moderate turny skiing speeds on groomed slopes, rarely an issue without others much affecting my ski lines. But can understand why that would be different for those expecting to carry higher speeds. Mt Rose, upper Heavenly, and Kirkwood are wise choices during any periods where snow quality has become an issue. The base of the Heavenly upper mountain lifts are similar elevations to the tops of Palisades, Sugar Bowl, or Northstar. Olympic and Stagecoach lifts rarely have a line after 10am. Versus other resorts, on fresh snow days, Nevada side of Heavenly is a huge advantage for those that understand the topography and trees and don't want to be stuck in lift lines.

For this person, the Sky Chair bottleneck is actually to my advantage as one that most often uses the other 3 bases and skis more on the Nevada side. Keeps the large intermediate groomer crowds to the west haha. There isn't much terrain difference for intermediates comparing upper California and Nevada groomed runs. But there is a huge difference in steeper advanced terrain where higher elevation snow has higher quality. That is why many long time advanced skiers use the other bases. The one choke point most days is the Gondola after 8am till about 10:30am. On Saturday the wise ought drive right to the old slow long Boulder lift. Nicely Vail plans a new lift HS up from Boulder.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day, another firm but softening condition at Rose. It was boarding on pretty darn warm today and the snow was acting accordingly in the spots where the sun was hitting. A lot of the previously unscrapeable snow was starting to get sheared off and small piles were forming. One turn would be pretty easy with loose snow to assist the ski with very little edge required, the next you'd better be ready with some firm edges or prepare to slide down the hill. Still fun, still skiing, and still almost no lines during the week!

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I saw that Smoothie was open at Palisades today but didn't trust the snow enough (along with my navigation skills) to commit to that long trip down to Silverado. Otherwise fun snow where things had a chance to soften, firm but kinda edgable otherwise.

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
Today at Northstar was a bluebird groomer cruiser day. The groomed was marvelous ... Easy to carve, and not as crispy as I thought it would be. A good chunk of the backside was groomed as well, making for a fun day. The kicker - ZERO crowds. I literally never waited for a lift. By noon my poor legs were shot and I headed in.

It was like a weekday of old ...

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw that Smoothie was open at Palisades today but didn't trust the snow enough (along with my navigation skills) to commit to that long trip down to Silverado. Otherwise fun snow where things had a chance to soften, firm but kinda edgable otherwise.
Where is Smoothie? I'm not familiar with that one.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was toasty at Sugarbowl today but only aspects in the sun truly softened, with some groomers directly in the sun pretty close to mashed potatoes as I left around 2:30. Much fun; I wish my legs were fresher! I was at Lassen this weekend, which was also toasty yesterday and crazy windy Saturday. I took 89 back into truckee and drove through the Dixie Fire burn. Greenville was particularly devastating to see.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

freddie

Booting up
Skier
hi

I'm planning to go to Squaw this Saturday and wanted to check in to see what to expect parking wise and hoepfully get some tips.

I plan to arrive right around 8am.

I heard they have a carpool lot, there will be 3 of us.

Is the carpool lot our best option?

Would one think it might be full by 8am this saturday morning?

Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not quite as nice a day at Northstar as yesterday, but it was still skiing pretty well on the groomed. Backside held up well, with some nice late morning sun softening Burnout and Challenger just enough.

Still essentially zero crowds. I skied first chair to 1120 or so, and literally never waited for a chair. 830 to 945 was laps on Comstock, and 945-1100 was laps on Backside.

Blue skies, but windier than I expected.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hi

I'm planning to go to Squaw this Saturday and wanted to check in to see what to expect parking wise and hoepfully get some tips.

I plan to arrive right around 8am.

I heard they have a carpool lot, there will be 3 of us.

Is the carpool lot our best option?

Would one think it might be full by 8am this saturday morning?

Any insight or advice is much appreciated!
you will be one of the first ones there at 8. The issue is if you are coming in via 80, hit traffic on 89 and your eta isnt accurate, but an 8 eta should be smooth sailing and not affected

no new snow, last weekend it was about 930 or later before it started getting pretty full....and palisades side did not hit capacity.

Last weekend, Alpine had capacity issues and 8am arrival was needed there, but i think that was due to race event and unexpected not normal weekend.
Just before or about 9am is probably the sweetspot for current conditions,
But i dont know the event calendar that will throw everything off

Carpool lot will be even less crowded.
Reminder that lifts start at 9.

If you arrived closer to, or a bit after 9 and have everything ready to ski: people park at far east and load from there instead to minimize walking in ski boots. It is a little delayed and 1 extra run to get to village and upper though, but less walking!

If you need tickets/ rentals, or getting breakfast and have time to kill, carpool is the closest to lifts to upper mtn.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I am skiing Heavenly in the near future, staying near the gondola. In looking at winds and wind gusts, what numbers will close the gondola? What’s the best way to get to the California Base for someone who will be carless? Orange Shuttle (free) or Uber or a cab?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am skiing Heavenly in the near future, staying near the gondola. In looking at winds and wind gusts, what numbers will close the gondola? What’s the best way to get to the California Base for someone who will be carless? Orange Shuttle (free) or Uber or a cab?

1) when it is 40+ gusts it starts being at risk. If you have opensnow, they make it easy to see the wind warnings both in the mtn quick summary and the daily updates. If you don't have open snow, BA will also post it out in (free) Palisades weatherblog posts when wind will likely affect upper lifts, and maybe more accurate than the automatic quick summaries.

2) If you're right at the gondola, or along any shuttle routes, and the mountain is split due to lift holds; you would just take the free shuttles to get around to all the bases.

I suppose if there's a huge operations failure and huge bus lines that the buses can't handle for some reason, you could consider uber/cab to save time-but if that is the case, the skiing is also likely a mess; so it's not worth spending extra money to just wait in a different liftline for a half-closed mountain. But if's last day and you got to catch your plane home or something like that, that could be an escape option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online