• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tromano I did not ski Snowbasin last season so I did not witness the sh*t show that it was. I only ready about it here and in other forums. Hopefully, some of those problems were driven by the pandemic. I read somewhere that Epic Pass skiers who could not get reservations for Park City would use Snowbasin as their backup plan, which most likely contributed the crowding along with lower lift capacity due to pandemic rules.

The food, I agree, a has been on the decline for a while—I also noticed the same issue last season at Sun Valley. I think the lack of J-1 and H2B visas are one reason as is the lack of serice workers in general due to the pandemic. Hopefully, this problem will be solved. I recently ate at a restaurant in Cape Cod that had an amazing crew of J-1s/H-2Bs from South Africa—a really cool group of young people, so there may be some hope in this regard.

But other issues are more intractable. Without a new lift on Strawberry, that area will continue to be underutilized. Lodge space could be alleviated by building a day lodge on Strawberry or where the Club Med hotel will be but I see no plans for such a facility. With a few notable exceptions, resorts these days seem to place a low priority on day use facilities.

The lack of lower intermediate and beginner terrain is another one that will be hard to solve. Widening the Ogden Road was a start, but Main Street and Elk Ridge are still solidly intermediate IMHO, especially the top of Main Street (as @AmyPJ points out). The mountain Is just steep—plain and simple. Most of us like it that way. Sun Valley has a similar “steepness problem,” especially at Warm Springs. What I would hate to see is more blasting and contouring. I have seen a lot of this in Europe and it really transforms beautiful natural terrain into paved highways down the mountain. It turns interesting into borring.

I can’t say I have noticed decreases in grooming and snowmaking, but anecdotally, shark’s teeth (bare rocks) seem to be more and more prevalent. Creative grooming and spot snowmaking could eliminate some of the worst of them, especially on the Needles Side. It does seem like Snowbasin is falling behind when it comes to Snowmaking. I don’t see as many fixed towers as many other resorts.

I also can’t comment about costs and passes. I was in the Needles Lodge on the day that Snowbasin announced it would join Epic and it was amazing: everyone started booing. Very funny at the time but now I understand their dismay.
I think the visa issue caused a lot of disruption. I certainly hope they have a plan for hiring good people or getting the visas sorted. UT is in very low unemployment and it may be all they can do to just hire warm bodies otherwise.

As for the grooming / snowmaking. I think it more of a training issue vs. not having enough snow guns. It seemed like there were numerous greenhorns on the operations team recently or maybe the team was not given enough time / resources to do the job right. I think its pretty frustrating since these problems seem to a customer like me seem to be relatively simple fixes.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Except for the one multi-day event that dropped 3 inches of rain on the benches, it's been bone dry for a very long time. But I'm working up some hopeful optimism for the winter. Fall without ski stoke just wouldn't be fall.

I've also reached a point of acceptance. People want to ski, corporations and investors want to own and I can't control the weather. I'm going to appreciate whatever turns I get this winter, however they turn out.
The monsoon season seems to be above average to me. So I guess it could have been worse. But the winter will tell the story.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Still not the document I am looking for but worth a scroll if interested in the bigger picture & possible future of the area.
Wow, that's a lot to dig through.
Living in Morgan County, I do question a lot of how growth has occurred here, including in reference to water rights, and I'll just leave it at that. For those who don't know, Wasatch Peaks Ranch (ie. the Yellowstone Club of Utah) is in Morgan County.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Park City people

Any go to restaurants?
The Boneyard.
I used to love Sammy's Bistro, but the last two times I have eaten there (including last Sunday) I have not been impressed. The food quality and quantity has decreased there enough that I don't think I'll go back.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Boneyard.
I used to love Sammy's Bistro, but the last two times I have eaten there (including last Sunday) I have not been impressed. The food quality and quantity has decreased there enough that I don't think I'll go back.
Thank you. The Boneyard looks really nice.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hi Utah friends - will be in LCC Feb 3-8, then need to get over to Park City, won't have a car - hoping to avoid shuttling all the way back down to the airport and back up - suggestions? That something we can do on Alta Shuttle? Uber-ski (we will have gear & ski box)? UTA buses? (not sure how this would fly with all the stuff we'll have).

Also suggestions for places to stay in Park City - we're pretty much coffee - ski - après - hot tub - dinner - bed rinse, repeat. No nightlife needed.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Park City people

Any go to restaurants?
At the high end, Tupelo is consistently good. A lot of the high end places can be hit or miss. The restaurant at the St. Regis is really good, convenient this time of year as you can park in the main DV parking lot and take the funicular to the hotel and restaurant. Hotelly but some great perches and there's activity and people during shoulder.

Moving to the mainstream, if you want fun atmosphere with mostly locals it's hard to top the Boneyard. It's a sports bar on one side where the down to earth hang and a wine bar on the other side where you go if you can't get a seat in the sports bar or want a little fancier. The food's good but not really what this place is about.

For breakfast or lunch it's hard to top Five Seeds for food, atmosphere, creativity and activity. El Chubasco has decent Mex and is local driven. Freshie's Lobster beats east coast on the water places in lobster roll competitions. It's become a landmark. Pricey but of course it is, it's fresh lobster in the Rockies. Hearth and Hill has one of the best bars for tapas and hanging despite its weird spot in Kimball.

As far as Main St. itself, other than Tupelo, Riverhorse and maybe Grappa and Firewood, which are all at the high end, I'm just not a big fan.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Handle is good. And prices are reasonable for what it is.
I'm likely missing others too. Deer Valley eateries are pretty good except not open outside the ski season. Bangkok Thai on Main is pretty good though pricy.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I’m not fancy but I like good food. Park City isn’t really a foodie town. If I don’t drive down to SLC I go to:
Nosh
Chop shop
Handle
Five seeds

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Collie's was tonight's late stop. The nachos and wings were good.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hi all... wondering about ski bus to Alta/Snowbird reliability? Is it a good option on powder days and days when you're waiting for the road to open? Is there less service during early/late season compared to peak season?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all... wondering about ski bus to Alta/Snowbird reliability? Is it a good option on powder days and days when you're waiting for the road to open? Is there less service during early/late season compared to peak season?
Buses have to wait for avi mitigation workcrews just like everyone else, but they sometimes get to go to front of line when road reopens. Does Alta have special vans to transport employees up the hill that you could catch?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
People are concerned about bus reliability this winter due to a bus driver shortage combined with anticipated record skier numbers and some added paid parking at AltaBird . Hopefully this will not play out as feared but I'd be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online