• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2022-2023 Europe Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
A new thread for a new season!

Here's an overview of school holidays and crowds in the Alps next winter:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And a meter in the pyrenees, where I'm going for 4 months this Saturday

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got a trip to Austra planned for christmas so this is exciting news.

Is there a good source you'd recommend I use to track general snow forecasts for the area?

It'll be what it'll be but Id like to keep tabs on what's forecast in advance of our arrival.

Thanks!

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I like Wepowder.com. Most other sources just replicate free GFS projection based on GPS location (not taking into account the actual mountain ranges etc.).

d10230

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This might not be the right place to ask, but I'll be skiing in Zermatt for 5 days and looking for routes (lifts and runs) to get to Cervinia. I've looked high and low on google, either the posts are extremely outdated (worried about it being inaccurate if things have changed) or don't provide exact runs you need to take. Could anyone provide resources on a relatively easy route to get between the two resorts by skiing?

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
This might not be the right place to ask, but I'll be skiing in Zermatt for 5 days and looking for routes (lifts and runs) to get to Cervinia. I've looked high and low on google, either the posts are extremely outdated (worried about it being inaccurate if things have changed) or don't provide exact runs you need to take. Could anyone provide resources on a relatively easy route to get between the two resorts by skiing?
Here is a topographical map - up to date - with all the runs and lifts drawn in. It's relatively easy though: from Zermatt you take the Klein Matterhorn cablecar all the way to the top. From there, ski down to Cervinia. Just keep left and follow all the signs.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s, pretty straightforward. From Zermatt you take the Matterhorn Express gondola up to Trockener Steg (P1, P2, P3, P4). It passes through several lift stations on the way, so unless told otherwise by the staff stay on it until you get to Trockener Steg, from there take the Matterhorn Glacier Ride tricable gondola (3S) up to Klein Matterhorn. The cable cars (O1, O2, O3) shown on the piste map aren’t in regular operation, they are mainly used for personnel / goods transport.

There are 2 routes from Klein Matterhorn over to Cervinia. The 1st route goes via Testa Grigia, the decent to Cervinia is via piste 7, the famous Ventina piste. By the time you go it may be possible to ski down a section of the new downhill course, there is an access track from Testa Grigia, the top section of the Ventina runs diagonally across the slope so isn’t very pleasant to ski.

KM-TG.jpg

The second route is via the Theodul Pass, if I were you I would take the 1st route.

KM-TP.jpg

There are a few things that you should be aware of. The glacier is heavily crevassed, so you should stay on the marked runs. The area is subject to high winds, especially in the early part of the season, so the link might not be open. You should take your passport and insurance documents with you, 3rd county citizens are required to carry their passports at all times in Italy and Italy requires that you have 3rd party insurance for skiing.

Give some thought to getting back to Zermatt, don’t leave it too late! I usually take the chairlifts from Plan Maison to the Theodul Pass to get back.

There is an interactive piste map on the Zermatt lift company website https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map and a pdf version on the Cervinia website https://cervinia-api.therocks.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/CerviniaVlt-SkiramaInverno-ENG-1.pdf

d10230

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It’s, pretty straightforward. From Zermatt you take the Matterhorn Express gondola up to Trockener Steg (P1, P2, P3, P4). It passes through several lift stations on the way, so unless told otherwise by the staff stay on it until you get to Trockener Steg, from there take the Matterhorn Glacier Ride tricable gondola (3S) up to Klein Matterhorn. The cable cars (O1, O2, O3) shown on the piste map aren’t in regular operation, they are mainly used for personnel / goods transport.

There are 2 routes from Klein Matterhorn over to Cervinia. The 1st route goes via Testa Grigia, the decent to Cervinia is via piste 7, the famous Ventina piste. By the time you go it may be possible to ski down a section of the new downhill course, there is an access track from Testa Grigia, the top section of the Ventina runs diagonally across the slope so isn’t very pleasant to ski.

View attachment 184929

The second route is via the Theodul Pass, if I were you I would take the 1st route.

View attachment 184930

There are a few things that you should be aware of. The glacier is heavily crevassed, so you should stay on the marked runs. The area is subject to high winds, especially in the early part of the season, so the link might not be open. You should take your passport and insurance documents with you, 3rd county citizens are required to carry their passports at all times in Italy and Italy requires that you have 3rd party insurance for skiing.

Give some thought to getting back to Zermatt, don’t leave it too late! I usually take the chairlifts from Plan Maison to the Theodul Pass to get back.

There is an interactive piste map on the Zermatt lift company website https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map and a pdf version on the Cervinia website https://cervinia-api.therocks.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/CerviniaVlt-SkiramaInverno-ENG-1.pdf
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
It can be overwhelming coming from the US because its so big but its actually very simple. Everything on the front side feeds back to Zermatt. If you ride to the very top to the Matterhorn Glacier paradise basically the backside is Cervinia. You ski down and have to make 1 left hand turn to Plateua Rosa. The ski maps are very accurate and signage is very easy to understand.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Indeed the signs are clear, wherever pistes split between Switzerland and Italy. The thing to watch out for is if you go to the other side but your hotel is on the same side, watch the weather and time, to be sure you can get back to your hotel.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The link is only opened if it can be kept open until the lifts close, if high winds are forecast they don’t open it.

During the summer they made some alterations to the link that goes via the Theodul Pass, it used to look like this:

TheodulPass.jpg

To get to Cervinia you took the lower piste and to get back to Zermatt you took the higher piste. It now looks like this:

TheodulPass_1.jpg

At the moment it doesn’t look like you can get back to Zermatt without doing a bit of commando skiing. The piste map hasn’t been updated to reflect this.

You can get a good view of the conditions either side of the border via the Plateau Rosa panoramic webcam https://cervinia.panomax.com/plateau-rosa#

If you want to know exactly where you are, you can use the free Swisstopo app https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/maps-data-online/maps-geodata-online/swisstopo-app.html to avoid roaming charges you can download any section of the Swiss National Map you want for offline use FOC. Alternatively, you could use the White Risk app https://whiterisk.ch/en/welcome which as a free 14-day trial period. I used it to draw the routes in my post above.

Ngarrido

Booting up
Skier
Hey Guys, anybof you guys have any tips for Les Tres Valles? Staying in Courchevel 1850 December 31 - Jan 6.

Thanks in advance!

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Looking like a stuborn northern ridge setting up over the alps soon. With a slow start to the season in terms of snow, I hope the storm trains start rolling in soon....

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haute Savoie update, as we were there over Xmas/NYs: Blah. Warm and rainy, very little skiable terrain below 1800 meters. We can see the top of Flaine from our house, and lifts were running but apparently they were limiting entry to those actually staying in Flaine. Avoriaz had some runs open, as did (I imagine) the higher areas around Chamonix. We were not unhappy to be there, as a bad day in the mountains beats bla bla bla, but I was hoping to get a few days in. I believe there's actual snow expected in the next few days at 1600 m+....but a washout so far. On the plus side we definitely saved on heating oil!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is horrifying and not just for the skiing. I'm taking a group to Canazei in the Val Di Fassa later this month. Hoping it's at least decent.
Being from the state of Utah, I know too well how bad drought conditions are affecting many around the world. I follow climate scientists closely through publications and social media, and it is extremely alarming.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally! Snow! At least in the Haute Savoie. Looking at total of up to 70 cm, at higher altitudes. Lower down, seems to have been a total of 40 cm or so. But one more day of moderate snow forecast, followed by a week of sub freezing daytime temperatures. I imagine the snow guns will be going full force to try to lay down a reasonable base for the rest of the season. Bottom line: If you're heading for Chamonix/Portes de Soleil/St. G/Megeve/La Clusaz etc., it's looking pretty good right now...

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Currently in Val/Tignes and conditions are great! Despite other areas of the region having slower start to the season, Val/Tignes did well and has a big base. Views are magnificent and while 'busier' than other European resorts I've been to, its rare to wait in any lines other than the initial start to the day to get up and out of the resort.

Since Val only has a few trails that lead back into the resort, folks weren't kidding when they mentioned these trails take a big beating late in the day as everyone descends. The 'Face' and 'Santons' are glare ice and moguls the sie of VW bugs, but it's a fun challenge, especially after a beer or 2 (or 3).

Pretty insane prices here, although it's something I knew coming into this trip. It's vacation, right? Got to pay play! But, 70 bucks for lunches? sheesh! Although, hands down, it's best food I've had in Europe while skiing. Everything from pizza, to burgers and everything in between, it's been delicious.

Unfortunately, France and even Western Switzerland are not getting any snow from this latest round of storms and it looks like it's going to stay dry for awhile longer. Luckily for the deep base, hopefully that holds them over for a bit. Zermatt for instance is looking pretty sparse, fingers cross Western Alps get snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online