• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WTF is up with our weather?!?! Have you guys looked at the ten-day? I'm a patient man, but we are going to run out of season. I know what's going to happen, everyone is going to move on, the lifts close mid-April and then it dumps for two weeks. Picked the wrong year to not have moved to Earthquake prone, flooded out, wildfire-plagued, but blizzard heavy California.

Infuriating, ain’t it?

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
WTF is up with our weather?!?! Have you guys looked at the ten-day? I'm a patient man, but we are going to run out of season. I know what's going to happen, everyone is going to move on, the lifts close mid-April and then it dumps for two weeks. Picked the wrong year to not have moved to Earthquake prone, flooded out, wildfire-plagued, but blizzard heavy California.
My bike will be back from the shop all ready to go in like 2 or 3 weeks so you can bank on some good storms after that.

Edit-actually took a closer look....brutal

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ve had 0 snow in NEPA this winter…..the worst is the rain all winter long…(again today/tomorrow)

I guess what is helping a bit is that my mentality this winter has been one of very, very low expectations…and it hasn’t been too bad at Elk here in PA with the conditions of the man made. I keep looking towards a trip to CO at Easter to get me through this really bad winter.

The future of our weather is PA will become like VA and VT will become like PA?..(hopefully not)

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

I'm planning on picking up a pair of race carvers for next season to ensure that we return to snowfall

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pro tip (from a gaper) :rolleyes: : Killington spring pass to extend the season.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll take my first run on a pair of SG skis on something like Meadows. About a mile wide with the pitch of a golf course. ;)

Eh, modern SG skis are fairly easy to pilot. You simply need to get up to speed - which is not easy on Meadows, even with the most Herculean of skating efforts. ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
What your saying is Kevin needs to get on some speed skis. 240cm, roughly 100m, 4-5 layers of metal,
But he should just go straight till stopping.

1C06CDDC-59A7-47F7-9A1D-172BC727B1FD.jpeg
Tyrone Shoelaces some years ago.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
After the 3 storms within one week we had mid January, I remember thinking "this is probably all the snow we're getting this season". I'm starting to think I'm right.
As a skier, this would bum me out.

As a raker of the roof and shoveler of snow, knowing that I didn't need to make enough room near the house to prevent the next storm from screwing me would be nice, but no way in hell am I making that bet this early on.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a raker of the roof and shoveler of snow, knowing that I didn't need to make enough room near the house to prevent the next storm from screwing me would be nice, but no way in hell am I making that bet this early on.
You got a mix in Maine last night? We are slowly building a base for March one mixed precipitation event after another. More breakable crust to ski!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
You got a mix in Maine last night? We are slowly building a base for March one mixed precipitation event after another. More breakable crust to ski!
Yeah, definitely another crusty net gain, but the slop I needed to move out of the dooryard was closer to slush than snow. The layer on the hill was more sticky than crusty by the time I was on the hill at noon, but it did peel off reasonably well and we were able to get to a half-decent surface for training.

Based on the reports I've seen, Saddleback and Sugarloaf have both been getting better results from most of the snow and mix events than we have (as is typical).

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Great day at Stowe today. Busiest I think I have seen all year, even a line at Sensation Quad, but lifts were close to ski-on by 1 PM. I brought out the mighty Fischer Curvs sharp and ready to ski grippy groomers. That existed, but after a couple of Nosedive - Rimrock - Gondolier laps, we hit Hayride which actually had really nice shin deep pow way on the left side one bump line wide. Did that twice and then decided to try the bumps on Liftline which clearly had powder in the troughs but nobody skiing them. Turns out that all the people not skiing it were right, It was seriously frozen rugged stuff, very hard skiing, but I stuck with it all the way. Heard a few "wows" from the lift and once was enough, got out with my back and my skis intact. We then went and skied Big Spruce for a couple of hours and it was just great. Whirlaway, Spruce Line, Main Street, Smugglers and other undisclosed locations on a pair of demo Kendos.

Should be interesting to see what tomorrow brings I think I'm gonna be an optimist and bring my Motive 95s out for some fun.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great day at Stowe today. Busiest I think I have seen all year, even a line at Sensation Quad, but lifts were close to ski-on by 1 PM. I brought out the mighty Fischer Curvs sharp and ready to ski grippy groomers. That existed, but after a couple of Nosedive - Rimrock - Gondolier laps, we hit Hayride which actually had really nice shin deep pow way on the left side one bump line wide. Did that twice and then decided to try the bumps on Liftline which clearly had powder in the troughs but nobody skiing them. Turns out that all the people not skiing it were right, It was seriously frozen rugged stuff, very hard skiing, but I stuck with it all the way. Heard a few "wows" from the lift and once was enough, got out with my back and my skis intact. We then went and skied Big Spruce for a couple of hours and it was just great. Whirlaway, Spruce Line, Main Street, Smugglers and other undisclosed locations on a pair of demo Kendos.

Should be interesting to see what tomorrow brings I think I'm gonna be an optimist and bring my Motive 95s out for some fun.
Was there as well…..amazing what actual snow can do to brighten the day/improve conditions.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Super Bowl Sunday.

had plans to meet up with @TheArchitect and then bumped into him and his son over breakfast at the hotel. Good start to the day.

Nice cruiser to start. Took a high speed lap under the gondola before it opened. And then - because it’s my Stowe tour - we hit Chin Clip for top to bottom bumps. Jim wisely decided to take another cruiser lap but his son and I persevered. And then unzipped jackets to vent the heat!

Back to the quad for some more trees and bumps. Tres Amigos was nice. Centerline had some BIG moguls which were firm but not really icy (at least not “ice” by New England standards). Took a lap down Lookout which looked better than it skied. Soft snow hiding some weird crusty layer. A few good turns, a lot more “good for you”.

After lunch we hit Spruce which was experiencing a corn harvest. Always nice, but I prefer having those days in April, not February.

Really nice spring bumps on Upper Smugg’s until we reached the exit which was basically side stepping over rocks. But the groomers had plenty of cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online