• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Wildfire Season

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We Probably need a 2022 wildfire thread started. CA does not look good.

We now have our first big 2022 fire in Northern Cal : Rices Fire, 904 acres and 22 % contained.
It's 10 miles from my house (we're in no danger) near the covered bridge in Bridgeport.
Mostly out and generating very little smoke.

Also 5 or 6 smaller fires including 2 near Lake Oroville and one in Siskiyou county where an arsonist was just arrested.

1656727495056.png

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing as how its 2022 and the season has begun, and at the suggestion of @John Webb, here's the thread I wish we didn't need to worry about

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, I hate to be the one to say this again. Last year I raised the question early on about whether the Caldor fire could reach Sierra. I observed that winds were blowing right toward it but doubted it could make it all the way. As we all sadly know, that fire eventually covered more than 30 miles, from Pollock Pines to South Lake Tahoe.

Well, the Mosquito fire is about 22 miles from Palisades. And the winds are blowing that direction.

Put this in the "things I want to be wrong about" column.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Scary rotating cloud from fire last night. Expand it and make sure you watch the last 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Currently there is little wind and what little there is is blowing Northwards. Not good news for Colfax, but if these meek winds keep up, it won't matter.

TS
John Webb

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Colfax and Nevada City now have the worst smoke in CA
Brown - Hazardous to health.
Guess I need to stop breathing !

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Colfax and Nevada City now have the worst smoke in CA
Brown - Hazardous to health.
Guess I need to stop breathing !
I sympathize John. We have two of this type (not this exact one):

I wouldn't trade them for anything. One can keep the air in a 2500sf house w/ 10' ceilings pristine in the worst outdoor conditions.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Seattle now has the worst air quality in the world. A new fire began (Bolt Creek fire) on Saturday morning. It's right next to US 2 in an area between Seattle and Stevens Pass. My cabin is close to where the fire originated but, thankfully for me, it seems to be headed away from my place, though changing winds can do lots of unexpected things. Here in Bellingham, 2 hours drive and about 100 miles north our air is bad too.

Here is what it looks like out of my front window on a clear day:
IMG_2085.JPG

And here's what it looks like today:
IMG_3025 2.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seattle now has the worst air quality in the world. A new fire began (Bolt Creek fire) on Saturday morning. It's right next to US 2 in an area between Seattle and Stevens Pass. My cabin is close to where the fire originated but, thankfully for me, it seems to be headed away from my place, though changing winds can do lots of unexpected things. Here in Bellingham, 2 hours drive and about 100 miles north our air is bad too.

Here is what it looks like out of my front window on a clear day:
View attachment 177958

And here's what it looks like today:
View attachment 177959
Yuck! Between mud slides and fires that area can't catch a break.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
North lake is getting absolutely pummeled with smoke currently. Closest readout to me is at 650. Yesterday afternoon was bad but these past 2 hours or so have been pretty freakin brutal!!
72D2EE61-9486-4FF2-A74E-BA8D95C778A0.jpeg

Really interesting and informative update last night from Zeke at the Lookout. He gets into the newest drone technology and the downsides of showing the public all this information which in turn makes lots of people “armchair experts” 2nd guessing when things go wrong. He has such a direct way of calmly and concisely breaking everything down

Last edited:
TS
John Webb

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Foresthill rd is the only paved road (other than a small very winding rd out of Auburn ravine) into the town of Foresthill.

Yesterday spinning winds grabbed embers and blew the fire uphill from middle fork of American river past containment lines straight toward town. This became a 900 acre spot fire in a few hours that was stopped just across Foresthill rd from the high school. No buildings were burned but a few cars and sheds burned.

TS
John Webb

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
They have pretty much stopped the Mosquito fire spread on NE corner toward
I-80/Truckee/Sugar Bowl/Squaw. Fire is still moving East toward Pollack Pines on 50. It is entering burn scars from 3 or 4 previous fires.

Yesterday a different fire,Dutch Flat , closed I-80 in both directions for 4 hours. Westbound traffic was diverted to 20 into Nevada City, gasp.

TS
John Webb

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Good article on health and wildfire smoke.
Timely for Norcal, Truckee, Reno and some of PNW.

Sponsor

Staff online