• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been skiing, so I'll start with a rerun favorite picture of a couple of my wife's horse friends that I just happened to come across on Halloween day.

Witches on Horses.JPG

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BOOM! Aurora! We were not expecting it but it flared up really good at about 7pm and went on for about an hour.
First the clearest picture and then the coolest one. I really need to find some sort of phone tripod/monopod/platform thing to take pictures with.. holding it still for 4 seconds is hard.
20230103_190403.jpg
20230103_190439.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Well, on January 3, I believe we already have this year's thread winner!

:micdrop:

I haven't seen those since I was a kid in far, far northern MN. Stunning.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I squeezed my tires today. They need air.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. I was honestly planning on just a picture of me riding on a backcountry ice rink that I was trying to find.. but the Aurora coming out was so much better. I did find the ice rink but didn't take any pictures cause it was pretty lame compared to the sky.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ribbon of snow! That looks fun!

Wish I knew how to post the short video I took this evening, we found a couple dog mushers out on the trail and I snagged a short video of one team going by. So fun! Oh nevermind, I guess I just attach it like normal..
20230110_194157.jpg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
2B056565-EB3B-43E5-9984-C9EBB0EA94C9.jpeg

Before Christmas I was skiing this same area with a couple feet of fresh powder, but a ton of rain and weeks of heat has dwindled this down to 8-10” of refrozen coral. This forest service road if ‘groomed’ for snowmobiles once a week, and now that I have a fat bike I can enjoy the crumby snow/ice. Cant complain too much fatbike/work/resort ski=not too bad of a wednesday.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Low tide remains here at Bigfog Mountain. Set a new personal low bar for rime today:

The kind of day when your jacket can stand up by itself. Snowing in Washington right now and the wind was cranking on the lift so maybe some of that will blow your way..

As you might guess, the Ski Talk Borg wants -- no, needs! -- more details.
Salsa aluminum Mukluk w/ deore 11. When I get home I can dig through my extra parts bins to see what I have in stock for upgrades and then formulate a plan to improve a few parts.

For anyone who remembers the 1990’s show Northern Exposure, may recognize the mural.
0B3AE90E-5192-496E-A4C1-AD1CABE2FD1C.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's an impressive layer of ice. It makes me glad that it stays so (stupid) cold here, no ice! I was going to ride tonight but just wasn't feeling it after work. Left my bike on the back of my car and will try again tomorrow.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Riding 6 miles at -20f is just as much work as a ride double the length at more reasonable temps. Ever described yourself as a "hot pocket"? That's what winter riding can be.. parts of you completly frozen and other parts boiling hot. I have to hold my breath and hope the wind isn't blowing the steam off of me into the pictures I take.. it's a strange problem to have.

In other news, I got a new set of poagies, they are super bright, fun, and my gloves match them! But most importantly, they are not 5 years old and the insulation isn't packed out yet.
20230119_184638.jpg
20230119_185422.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for keeping the stoke going @firebanex! I've been lazy this season, and just riding lifts, with a short FB ride or two every week.

Riding 6 miles at -20f is just as much work as a ride double the length at more reasonable temps.

Also: What's the quickest way to get in a 3 hour bike workout?

Go for a 2 hour fat bike ride!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Riding 6 miles at -20f is just as much work as a ride double the length at more reasonable temps. Ever described yourself as a "hot pocket"? That's what winter riding can be.. parts of you completly frozen and other parts boiling hot.
There's a known medical thing that happens - cold air hitting your face triggers vasoconstriction and a greater load on the heart muscle.

I have to hold my breath and hope the wind isn't blowing the steam off of me into the pictures I take.. it's a strange problem to have.

Talking of strange, I was in the raker bars last night at 32-34F with sleety micro rain. My breath was fogging my front light to the point that drivers thought I was flashing my light at them.

I'm like 'Why is everyone flashing me?' 'Why is this truck in the opposite lanes beyond the center divider honking?'

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's a known medical thing that happens - cold air hitting your face triggers vasoconstriction and a greater load on the heart muscle.
Learn something new everyday. I hate covering my mouth and nose while biking, creates way too much frost and ice quickly. There is a pretty niche product up here that is a facemask that only covers your nose and cheekbones. Super useful for riding bikes in the winter. It just looks so silly I've never been able to convince myself to get one.

Sponsor

Staff online