• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 2023 Stockli Montero AX Review

https://www.skiessentials.com/

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So the darling of the pugski.com/skitalk.com community is discontinued and this ski replaces it...

I dont like the name but its probably a fantastic ski. :popcorn::margaritarocks:

Why I dont like the name? This is why:

images.png

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Since I'm into pretty things, I can't help but notice the pattern on the topsheet reminds me of the previous versions of Blossom Whiteout/Crosswind, etc.

Thanks @SkiEssentials - your video review is both informative (as usual) and hilarious (eg at about 19 minutes in about a demographic Stowe).

Last edited:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Yep, I had no idea until I demoed them - that's exactly it. Now I really want them.

The video review above mentions my review of Montero AX on skidiva forum which is really unexpected and cool for me.
Soo after much thinking and deliberation (I have been wanting these since March) I did get Montero AX in 178 cm length from SkiEssentials! I also got to ski them at Big Snow this Sunday and they were as fun as I remembered them. I haven't skied since April and these skis were still soo easy going and intuitive to ski. I even took them into the small bumps that were forming in the terrain park and they were fun there too.

Mine are mounted with Marker Xcomp 16 race binding which is what SkiEssentials guys recommended. I was worried slightly whether the race binding will impact ski performance in soft snow and bumps, but after skiing them I know that it will not be an issue.

Big shout out to @SkiEssentials guys who were very responsive to my questions and also they shipped the skis to me, mounted and with phantom base treatment done right after I ordered them. I got the skis 2 days after I ordered them - amazing customer service! Also they are so knowledgeable about skis, it's awesome. I highly recommend SkiEssentials if you are thinking to buy new skis.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
@James you may or may not remember this - I had started a few years ago a looong thread about all-mountain ski advice for all-mountain ski and I remember you suggested I buy Stockli for a smooth ride and stop vacillating or something along those lines. Well it took a few years, but I followed your advice eventually! :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
@James you may or may not remember this - I had started a few years ago a looong thread about all-mountain ski advice for all-mountain ski and I remember you suggested I buy Stockli for a smooth ride and stop vacillating or something along those lines. Well it took a few years, but I followed your advice eventually! :roflmao:
Hah, nice.
Now you can go into Le Ski Mastery and try out a fat-ish one. Alain is the only one left now at Taos after the Mayer’s.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Hah, nice.
Now you can go into Le Ski Mastery and try out a fat-ish one. Alain is the only one left now at Taos after the Mayer’s.
Alain is incredibly charming, in a true French way. :) I always get my skis tuned there when I am in Taos and love chatting with him. I have demoed SR102 and loved them. I may take advantage of Powder 7 trade in program at some point and get SR102 plus trade in several other older skis I don't love.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alain is incredibly charming, in a true French way. :) I always get my skis tuned there when I am in Taos and love chatting with him. I have demoed SR102 and loved them. I may take advantage of Powder 7 trade in program at some point and get SR102 plus trade in several other older skis I don't love.
DO IT!!!

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought the AR's and am not blown away by them, wondering if i should have gotten the AX's? :huh:
That's my thought flow. Seems like the AX borrowed the magic of the Laser AR and AX and married them, and the Montero AR went off into no man's land. But wtf do I know, I don't own a ski company

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's my thought flow. Seems like the AX borrowed the magic of the Laser AR and AX and married them, and the Montero AR went off into no man's land. But wtf do I know, I don't own a ski company
The Ski essential guys said they are essentially the Lasers inside them. I guess I really need to try an AX, but neither MT up here carries them. I could get a Laser AX used i guess.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Ski essential guys said they are essentially the Lasers inside them. I guess I really need to try an AX, but neither MT up here carries them. I could get a Laser AX used i guess.
I love those guys so much, BUT... They also said the Montero AR's are more Laser than not, which doesn't seem to mesh with a lot of what the rest of the community is saying. I have the Laser AR and I thought it was an amazing ski, but I never got to try a pair of AX's, so I'm still missing the experience of knowing what they both felt like. Its all so subjective...

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I love those guys so much, BUT... They also said the Montero AR's are more Laser than not, which doesn't seem to mesh with a lot of what the rest of the community is saying. I have the Laser AR and I thought it was an amazing ski, but I never got to try a pair of AX's, so I'm still missing the experience of knowing what they both felt like. Its all so subjective...
Gotcha, just curious how many of the community here have actually tried both or were just underwhelmed with the Montero AR? :huh:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotcha, just curious how many of the community here have actually tried both or were just underwhelmed with the Montero AR? :huh:
I preferred the Montero AX over the AR *for me*. The AR is very much a Stöckli in feel: smooth, connected, great fit and finish. It just doesn't wow me for the way I like to ski. For someone who has long groomers and likes to make long, very controlled turns it will be great. It is, after all, a relatively long radius ski at 17+ meters at 180. Turn initiation is very deliberate, almost stately (there's a term you probably never heard to describe a ski!). It wants to flow from turn to turn. Once in the turn it holds without drama, all while going faster than you thought. I wouldn't say it's playful but it is a great ski for the right type of skier.

Sponsor

Staff online