• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 New England Gathering invades Canada, eh?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Dates are Friday March 22nd through Sunday March 24th.

The discussion thread showed interest in venturing farther north, so we're going to the following locations:
Meetup times means "boots on, ready to roll".

Saturday evening dinner in Magog at https://alessa.ca/accueil/ at 7:30PM. Unfortunately, that was the only timeframe they had available for a group of our size.

Sunday night dinner: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/202...raclette-night-sunday-march-24-whos-in.33517/

You will need a passport; instructions are here. There is apparently a backlog on passport applications, so if you need one, you should probably start that process sooner rather than later.

Owl's Head and Sutton are both about 30, 40 minutes from Jay Peak.

Roll call is here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/new-england-gathering-roll-call.31961/

So, s'il vous plaît, brush up on your French, get your passports in order, develop a taste for poutine (optional), and I'll plan on seeing everybody in March! Merci!

1697807600870.jpeg

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Now you've got my attention. We're not getting to the townships this year so this is our chance. We'll miss Orford but Sutton is great and the lake chair and the runs down from the summit of Owls head aren't to be missed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm trying to figure out how to work this in this year... it falls right between trips to Tahoe and Colorado for me... but I'm hopeful for at least Friday and Saturday.

It would also accomplish my annual goal of going to 2 new places I've never been!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
What determined which mountain on each day. Sutton is the fastest away. We'd probably do them in reverse order with most north first and then make our way south

Sutton
Owls head
Jay peak

Where is lodging. We usually stay at the Estrimont in magog/Orford area.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@KevinF Your flare for introducing this plan is incroyable!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn. I would have loved to join everyone, but I will be in SunPeaks , after just getting back from Whitefish. You will enjoy Sutton and Owls Head. If you feel like having some extra days , go to Orford and Bromont as well.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
What determined which mountain on each day. Sutton is the fastest away. We'd probably do them in reverse order with most north first and then make our way south

Sutton
Owls head
Jay peak

Where is lodging. We usually stay at the Estrimont in magog/Orford area.

Jay Peak was on Friday just to lessen the drive time by a bit. Owl's Head and Sutton order was simply alphabetical. :ogbiggrin: I was probably going to ski somewhere on Monday as well just to split up the long drive home, but that remains to be seen.

As for lodging... Wherever you can find it. I'm frankly not sure what's available. I was thinking of staying in the Jay Peak area and just crossing the border multiple times, but that makes the traditional Saturday night group dinner potentially interesting in terms of logistics. Do you have suggestions of larger towns, restaurants etc. up there that could support a group event?

@KevinF Your flare for introducing this plan is incroyable!

I had to Google "incroyable". Your French exceeds mine. I considered going with "see view play" before deciding I should Google the appropriate spelling. :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that was fast. I’d argue to skip Jay, eh? depending on the snow. It’s not Canada.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh rats. I'll be in Sugarbush with another obligation during that time. I was hoping if you folks were going to be in the MRV, I'd be able to catch up with you for at least one of the days. And skiing Quebec is on my list of ToDos.

Enjoy!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the idea to stay in Jay, or at each hill as they come up on the calendar? I just might be in for this now.
Personally, there's no chance I'm moving each day. That's an awful way to travel IMO (of course, I don't travel light either, but a lot of folks do).

I'm likely to pick one place to stay, and stay there.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well that was fast. I’d argue to skip Jay, eh? depending on the snow. It’s not Canada.

There was enough interest in the other thread regarding going to Canada, and plus giving the announcement now gives plenty of time to get passports in order.

Is the idea to stay in Jay, or at each hill as they come up on the calendar? I just might be in for this now.

Gathering lodging is a "on your own" type of thing. I have tried to get group lodging, lift ticket discounts, etc., in the past but it's like herding cats as people are hesitant to firmly commit to attending.

I imagine most participants will opt to stay in Canada Friday and Saturday nights just to reduce hassle of multiple border crossings.

If you (or anybody else, @surfsnowgirl ?) has suggestions of nearby towns with lodging, etc. I'm happy to hear it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did a similar trip with 10 people about 4 years ago. We stayed near Magog for 2 nights and then drive down to Jay where we stayed at the Stateside hotel for a night.

In my experience, if there is snow there is often more at Jay and Jay has, IMO better skiing and not IMO Jay has more vertical. In other words - don't skip Jay Peak. Wish I was going I could do some guiding there.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Replied on the roll call thread. I’m skipping Jay on Friday because I earmarked a couple days this week for going up to Le Massif de Charlevoix. If anyone wants to head up there beforehand I’m tentatively skiing Wednesday through Friday there.

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the closest small ski hill to Montreal? Anything within the city limits?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s the closest small ski hill to Montreal? Anything within the city limits?
Thinking of driving to Montreal? I was thinking I'd fly in to Burlington most likely, and not get very close to Montreal.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thinking of driving to Montreal?
Thinking of bagels and croissants in Montreal. Plus skiing within a city would be wild. I’d expect Cochran’s level or lower. Not that I’ve ever skied Cochran’s.

Sponsor

Staff online