• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

700 feet of groomed Elevator Shaft, Kirkwood 1/26/2024

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier

Friday January 26, 2024
Elevator Shaft off Chair 4 Sunrise
elevation 9300 to 8700 ; 700 feet of groomed vertical
GoPro Hero 8 set for 1080p W (Wide) 60fps pointed at 1/2 ski shovels.
200 seconds, first 60 seconds is moving into position below the lift top for the run with Walk In The Park jazz piano background. The audio from that point for the end 140 seconds is recorded ski snow turn sounds.

Thus 140 seconds skiing rebounding with a jumping gravity forward mindset, smoothly dynamically off edges, retaining mass dynamic momentum by having a critical counterbalance with the countering upper body, driving through the leg-shaft like a piston, through the Lange boot flex center of the weighted, flexed ski, exactly from the transition point between turns by momentary relaxing the upper back muscles at the sensed rebound transition point, allowing a collapse from gravity. A somewhat purposely forward body position of gravity powered sliding/falling forward on a tilted surface plane while above a mostly isolated, stable, upper body, making a dance/gymnastic countering balance pose.

Since I use a GoPro helmet mount at the front edge of my helmet, it records a very close to eye view video. Accordingly, if the viewer concentrates more at center screen both horizontally and vertically, that center small section of the rectangular display is right where my eyes have been looking to turn towards. Following that center screen point puts the audience where I am skiing towards.

In effect as a bump skier, my body follows where by eyes look as my animal executive control brain sends full body motor control signals to my muscles for actions. Probably resident as a rhythmically oscillating electromagnetic standing wave field in one's cerebellum as an actively repeating 3 dimensional body perceptual awareness.

Another way to view the video is by focusing just on my weighted ski shovel that switches between each ski. It takes a wee bit of watching experience to be able to just watch an advanced skier's weighted ski like this as it cuts into the snow surface. My unweighted ski is hardly in snow contact and instead is used as an increasing moving mass force I use to increase opposite weighted ski edge force. And also to smooth out awkward movements, asleep until needed. Sometimes am rather sloppy with the unweighted ski because it doesn't matter. More specifically, it doesn't always matter for the sake of motion enjoyment, to have the 2 skis parallel regardless if that looks aesthetic.

Note I also have an impressive for an old guy, new 5:24 minute rec bump video on my Youtube account web page at: https://www.youtube.com/@davids1586

With the video title: ANGH0107894b

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting - I assumed your camera was on a chest harness, given the tips of the skis aim. Seems like a helmet mount would be aimed a little further forward?

.... unless you like to stare at your tips!!

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
013124c.jpg

This photo shows the two GoPro mounts on my old Smith Variant Brim helmet with the camera front mounted. Because the glue on mounts can potentially be ripped off during falls, I added 20 pound monofilament fishing line from the front mount to a louver hole. The front mount uses an elevated curved mount adapter atop a curved adhesive mount in order for the camera lens to rise above the brim enough to show ski shovels. Alternatively, I could have removed the brim that would have required cracking it off from permanent glue. My newly ordered blue helmet has no brim so I may be able to mount without an adapter.

This second close-up image shows scissor cut pieces of adhesive backed bar codes I attached to the 2 combined mount sections that allow more precise visual tilt alignment. I usually shoot in W (wide) angle mode. Tilt alignment is critical for allowing an adequate amount of shovel view.

Although from the perspective of the camera, the video appears rather flat, 700 feet/84 turns equals ~8 vertical feet per turn or the average height of home ceilings. The steeper 560 feet of vertical is about 21.3 degrees or 39% grade slope, a lower advanced gradient. Steep enough that most advanced skiers cannot turn quickly enough to make such short turns. But any advanced skiers that practice making fast turns can improve doing so over time.

7.4 inches = 5280 feet horizontal
1.95/7.4 = 0.270
0.27*5280= 1425 feet
14 vertical lines 40*14= 560 feet vertical
560/1425= 0.39 tan = 21.3 degrees = 39% grade

013124d.jpg

UMMMM. :)

Last edited:
TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
Posted another video from skiing 8 inches of cold powder Thursday 2/8/24 at Dodge Ridge on this old Ski School sub-forum thread:

Note, I welcome anyone interested in commenting about skiing technique, GoPro camera operational questions, video processing, image aesthetics, or anything else either positive or negative, on any of my videos either on this skitalk dot com board or on my Youtube account pages for any videos.

ao010806b.jpg

Last edited:
TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
anGH010798d groomed Elevator Shaft 1/26/24

Re-edited the above OP Elevator Shaft video, removing the first 70 seconds and deleted from my Youtue page the earlier anGH010798c.mp4 version, reloading as anGH010798d.mp4.

9260 - 8800 460 feet

The steeper 460 feet of vertical is about 21.3 degrees or 39% grade slope, a lower advanced gradient. Steep enough that most advanced skiers cannot turn quickly enough to make such short turns. But any advanced skiers that practice making fast turns can improve doing so over time.

1000 feet horizontal
12 vertical lines 40*12= 480 feet vertical
480/1000= 0.46 tan = 24.7 degrees = 46% grade
58 turns over 96 seconds = 1.66 seconds per turn
480 / 58 = 8.28 feet vertical per turn

Sponsor

Staff online