• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A New Hampshire Weekend

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My job once again afforded me the chance to travel to New Hampshire... so I took advantage and skied January 20th and 21st. There was some new snow the night of the 19th, which really refreshed things and made conditions much better than they apparently (per reports, not experience) had been.

And each season I have a goal to ski at 2 new places, and I haven't skied NH much, so I picked a couple of new-to-me places. @Tony S came out and we skied Loon on Friday, and Wildcat on Saturday, and had a great time. Some good and bad groomers, short and long lift lines, grey and bluebird skies, soft and sketchy conditions, and even a little bit of unexpected skinning sans skins - it was all good.

I stayed in North Conway, and drove across Kancamagus highway to get to Loon. It was a beautiful drive, though I once again failed to see a moose in New England. *sigh*
20230120_072738 ACR Conv.jpg

I was on my SkiTalk Siderals (Blossom Whiteouts) that were great as usual
NE Skiing 012123 004 ACR Conv.jpg

Chair Selfie at Loon
NE Skiing 012123 008 ACR Conv.jpg

We got some snow during the day at Loon too... @Tony S here in some bumps and grass, which skied OK. We also skied some groomers that were surprisingly lumpy/bumpy, even first thing in the morning. I was not impressed at all with the Loon grooming crew.
NE Skiing 012123 012 ACR Conv.jpg

The Kancamagus 8 lift... it's a chair, but has a terminal building that they must have to push snow into so you can ski to the chair like normal... very unusual setup.
NE Skiing 012123 019 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

The 8 person chairs are very nice, with their individual seats, especially when it's not a full chair.
NE Skiing 012123 024 ACR Conv.jpg

Tony eyeing up some bumps... they were nice in places, but also icy and scratchy in places. The new snow didn't adhere so well.
NE Skiing 012123 027 ACR Conv.jpg

Pano view at the top of Loon
NE Skiing 012123 037 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

The next day we decided to hit Wildcat. They'd reported a couple more inches than Loon, and actually seemed like they got quite a bit more. And it was a bluebird day, so the views were spectacular! Best I've seen in New England of all the places I've been (which is now Okemo, Mt. Snow, Stratton, Sugarbush, MRG, Killington, Stowe, Sunapee, Pat's Peak, Loon, Wildcat, and Sunday River).

The view off the back of Wildcat in the morning
NE Skiing 012123 047 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Pretty good elevation at Wildcat (though not as high as Timberline, WV back home :ogcool: )
NE Skiing 012123 050 ACR Conv.jpg

The Mount Washington view... first I've ever seen it, including Tuckerman's Ravine of course
NE Skiing 012123 054 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Since it was Saturday, the main lift tended to have a big line... it was about 20 minutes at its worst, but not always that bad. We only rode it a few times, and rode the other two lifts more, where there was very little to no lift line
NE Skiing 012123 065 ACR Conv.jpg

Another pano of the great view
NE Skiing 012123 082 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

The snow was great, so we skied a lot of bumps and random chopped up runs. Skied like they got maybe 6" on some runs, and the groomers were very nice. But we also found some sketchy stuff. I didn't want to ski this run, but Tony begged and pleaded, and promised me it would be fine. It wasn't fine. But not too much damage done. :)
NE Skiing 012123 086 ACR Conv.jpg

Some bumps in the sun... the afternoon runs were great.
NE Skiing 012123 087 ACR Conv.jpg

You may wonder why some people in line are facing me... that's because the singles line wrapped back and forth before approaching the terminal! The joy of Saturday skiing. :rolleyes:
NE Skiing 012123 093 ACR Conv.jpg

They left some whales on some runs that had bumps formed on them. Lots of fun!
NE Skiing 012123 111 ACR Conv.jpg

We even found some trees! This top section of the glade was good for a few turns, but after the roll-over there were creeks and gullies and we bailed.
NE Skiing 012123 116 ACR Conv.jpg

Forest view - those clouds really just hung out there all day
NE Skiing 012123 130 ACR Conv.jpg

Late in the day we went to look for another glade on the trail map... this involved going down a cat track that didn't have any tracks on it. I didn't really want to do it, but Tony just about pushed me down the cat track and told me I'd be letting everyone down if I didn't check it out (something about the Ministry of Bad Ideas may have been mentioned)... Of course, the glade was not skiable for me, and the middle of the cat track was a low point, so we had to hoof it out in the fresh snow. It was terrible. And I told Tony that I'd make sure to embellish the hell out of it and blame everything on him whether it was true or not!

Looking back at where we came from
NE Skiing 012123 131 ACR Conv.jpg

Tony breaking trail (as punishment) to get us out
NE Skiing 012123 132 ACR Conv.jpg

All in all it was a terrific couple of days of skiing! I skied about 41K vertical, and was tired each day in a very good way!

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to get back to Wildcat when they have snow,

James

Out There
Instructor
5EDBCD8F-7BF8-49FF-939C-157D0660544B.jpeg

Who’s over there in the weeds?
I can’t believe Tony took you in the rocks. We need to re-consider his gathering responsibilities.
No wonder he needs a boot buckle. :nono:
49FA940D-C71E-4A78-901C-DBB7006AD00E.jpeg

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Who’s over there in the weeds?

No one I/we know...

I can’t believe Tony took you in the rocks.

Me neither! What actually happened is there was a rollover at a decision point to go straight ot right. Tony skied down like 50 feet and looked over and it looked good, so we skied it. The top was great. Then we came to the next rollover and ran into the rocks. Given other slopes that we saw closed, I'm surprised that was open.

We need to re-consider his gathering responsibilities.

Well, yeah. But for any number of reasons, not just rocks. :P

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Wildcat that same morning! You got lucky, was definitely our first good day of the season. I should have been more vocal about being able to meet up if I knew you were going to Wildcat. Could have avoided the cat track slog. I've gotten pretty good at knowing which trails to try first before others, even if they are all open.

Sponsor

Staff online