• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A proposal for a new idea for choosing future Gathering destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Given that there are numerous variables at play in selecting Gathering destinations, the flexibility to "pivot" (like was done for this season) has become a necessity. So I suggest that we abandon the rotation idea that was established quite a few years ago. And the previous option of only counting voting by the participants of the current Gathering is too limiting and cuts out many folks who might be planning on attending the next Gathering (if they could get a say in the choice).

So I'm proposing that we use online voting here on the forum, but voting would only be permitted for attendees from the past 5 gatherings. Another option would be to permit voting from the SkiTalk membership, but more heavily weight the votes from attendees within the past 5 years.

My suspicion is that we could build more "momentum" behind a particular destination if we have more input coming from the attendees and/or membership. I don't know if the forum software could handle ranked voting, but that feels like it would help nail down the right choice better than only being able to vote for a single place (you pick a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gatherings HAVE been decided by attending members. When it was decided to get into a rotation, that was at an event and it was voted on. Simply people were looking for direction for down the road so they could plan accordingly. I am not sure when the OP last attended a gathering, but I think it has been a while and if it was on the last rotation it was just once, maybe Aspen. The weight of the decions has been carried by those who attend regularly, and not occasional.

It is actually currently being discussed if we want to adjust the rotation moving forward because the previous rotation was never meant to for perpetuity. We have a group of attendees that we discuss the decion with ... a group that attend either every or nearly every event.

We are trying to make the announcements as early as we can, as much as the ability to purchase next years pass at the lowest price. One of the deciding factors that for the foreseable future is that the event will be focused on Ikon resorts.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The weight of the decions has been carried by those who attend regularly, and not occasional.
I'll add a bit more... To that end there have been discussions with regular attendees a couple of times over the last couple of years, as things morphed and changed. Rest assured, the decision is not made lightly, nor in a vacuum. We realize everyone has their preferences, and I welcome ideas and feedback and thoughts... some of our discussions have been about new areas, or different approaches. That's partly how we returned to the Lake Tahoe area this year.

So I'm happy to hear ideas, but there are definitely considerations - like Ikon as Phil mentioned - that constrain the ultimate decision that we'll make.

Last edited:
TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Gatherings HAVE been decided by attending members. When it was decided to get into a rotation, that was at an event and it was voted on. Simply people were looking for direction for down the road so they could plan accordingly. I am not sure when the OP last attended a gathering, but I think it has been a while and if it was on the last rotation it was just once, maybe Aspen. The weight of the decions has been carried by those who attend regularly, and not occasional.

It is actually currently being discussed if we want to adjust the rotation moving forward because the previous rotation was never meant to for perpetuity. We have a group of attendees that we discuss the decion with ... a group that attend either every or nearly every event.

We are trying to make the announcements as early as we can, as much as the ability to purchase next years pass at the lowest price. One of the deciding factors that for the foreseable future is that the event will be focused on Ikon resorts.

Yep, it was Aspen. Keep in mind that my attendance level over the years has primarily been driven by health issues, not my desire. :)

I was just taking in some of the comments regarding the upcoming Gathering destination choice and thinking that it was time to discuss the selection process... ideally on the open forum.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, it was Aspen. Keep in mind that my attendance level over the years has primarily been driven by health issues, not my desire. :)

I was just taking in some of the comments regarding the upcoming Gathering destination choice and thinking that it was time to discuss the selection process... ideally on the open forum.

There are a few who plan and lead the gathering who's timing and ability to travel are a major part of the consideration.
For example, if the leader can't attend due to other constraints then we have a problem.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The rotation would have had us going back to Jackson Hole this year. Personally, I'm fine with that, but I've also made a list of other possible Ikon destinations too.

We will likely be having some discussions going on over the next several weeks and will make the call based on inputs and all the considerations we've been talking about...
  • Ikon resort(s)
  • Timing: Most likely the first week of March or maybe a week earlier
  • Likelihood of people to attend (e.g. Alyeska would be awesome, but would people go to Alaska? Probably not.)
  • Resort preference of those we talk to or that post - with lots of weight given to frequent attendees we may reach out to or hear from

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Resort preference of those we talk to or that post - with lots of weight given to frequent attendees we may reach out to or hear from
Yup, this is something that is discussed on many lift rides at Gatherings.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are a few who plan and lead the gathering who's timing and ability to travel are a major part of the consideration.
For example, if the leader can't attend due to other constraints then we have a problem.
^^^^^^^^^THIS 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It would be nice to have some place EAST of the Mississippi or maybe Canada in the rotation for the FULL NATTY gathering. However, the folks who work the most hours to make them happen probably don't have unlimited financial resources to facilitate things more than a day+ SS Ski Talk trip away.

The answer has aways been MULTIPLE gatherings/locations each season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It would be nice to have some place EAST of the Mississippi or maybe Canada in the rotation for the FULL NATTY gathering.
We ahve an New England/Northeast East Coast Gathering every year already which does include Canada this year. Have you ever been to one?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We ahve an New England/Northeast East Coast Gathering every year already which does include Canada this year. Have you ever been to one?
I go to the Mid Atlantic "Gathering"s. I saw you at ONE before you moved west. That's the point. You and Trisha not being there kind of makes them less official..

Whistler would be awesome! And just because someone is not in a good life situation to make a gathering doesn't mean folks should tease them or belittle them about not being able to go themselves.. That's also my point.

Oldest kid is graduating college this May. One down and one halfway there. Then ski travel is definitely happening again.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
It would be nice to have some place EAST of the Mississippi or maybe Canada in the rotation for the FULL NATTY gathering.
I could see Canada being a possibility for a "full natty" depending on where in Canada. But as an east coaster I don't ever expect it to happen in my neck of the woods. Don't get me wrong, I wear my Ski the East "snow, sleet, rain-ice, powder, slush-stumps, bumps, rocks-guts, grit, glory" dedicated tee with pride, but getting easties to go west is a much more realistic goal than getting westies to come east. For a gathering to get as large as the national gathering does, it really has to be out west.

Looking forward to the New England Gathering next weekend.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I could see Canada being a possibility for a "full natty" depending on where in Canada. But as an east coaster I don't ever expect it to happen in my neck of the woods. Don't get me wrong, I wear my Ski the East "snow, sleet, rain-ice, powder, slush-stumps, bumps, rocks-guts, grit, glory" dedicated tee with pride, but getting easties to go west is a much more realistic goal than getting westies to come east. For a gathering to get as large as the national gathering does, it really has to be out west.

Looking forward to the New England Gathering next weekend.
Ditto. To all of it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For a gathering to get as large as the national gathering does, it really has to be out west.
Ditto. To all of it.
No one is coming from the west to ski in the east ... no matter if we are there or not. I wouldn't come ski the east to ski with me, I wouldn't expect any one else to either.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
It has been too many years since I've attended. My thoughts are aligned with the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's not so much where the Gathering is held, it's more about connecting with the many friends. The present system puts the final decision up to a few key members who essential to the success. They listen a lot of input, much conflicting I'm sure. Having them hold 51% of the vote just works!

James

Out There
Instructor
The only possible place East would be Le Massif and Mont Saint Anne. Just ain’t happening. Let’s put it this way- East coasters want to go west for some altitude and actual snow.

Btw, still time to go to NEG in Quebec next Sat after Jay on Fri. Just need a passport.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
No one is coming from the west to ski in the east ... no matter if we are there or not. I wouldn't come ski the east to ski with me, I wouldn't expect any one else to either.
RachelV is on her way to Diva East. So maybe some would come east.

Timing wrt to Ski Diva trips too and where - 2025 is Alta - Bird, Utah, dates not decided yet.

I've only been to the Epic/Pugski gathering at WB. At that time the group was voting on the next year trip. I sort of like the rotation plan. I would have loved to come to Tahoe this year, but work got in the way. Some places are a PITA for me as a Canadian to get to. And I also have to look at the elevation. I am seriously having altitude issues. So I will choice with caution. Tahoe would have been great. Utah big no.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
RachelV is on her way to Diva East. So maybe some would come east. ...

While this is true, I do also have family here. And I haven't skied the east in 10+ years. So I can commit to a once-a-decade ski + fam visit combo. ;)

Also I was definitely the only person on the plane from Denver starting a ski trip vs ending one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online