• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A proposal for a new idea for choosing future Gathering destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about adding a Tech-Geek-Gathering (preferably someplace hardpack) where all the SkiTalk Technonauts, that argue for pages over the meaning of a single word, can finally get together for on-hill demonstrations of their theories and skiing prowess IRL?

I'd pay to see that one!
Actually, 90% of the tech geek posters in the instruction threads that I’ve skied with ski better IRL than they do on the web. Yeah the single word arguments are :popcorn:, but most can back it up.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a memory from the aforementioned Aspen Gathering of a group of skitalkr tch gks (aka ski instructors) standing outside the summit lodge with shortish, narrow skis. I think they had gathered to work on carving technique. I remember shaking my head in wonder as a bunch of us yahoos pushed off to go flail in the rapidly deepening foot + of pow.

...or maybe it was just a dream.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Meanwhile, clocks a-ticking for the Ikon discount cut-off on 4/18. Any chance we will get a decision before then, or should we all just go ahead and make our best guesses as to which pass to get?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Meanwhile, clocks a-ticking for the Ikon discount cut-off on 4/18. Any chance we will get a decision before then, or should we all just go ahead and make our best guesses as to which pass to get?
It will be Ikon based and goign with at least the Plus or the Full pass won't be a bad idea.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be Ikon based and goign with at least the Plus or the Full pass won't be a bad idea.

As an FYI, many ski area season passes only allow Ikon add-on to the Ikon base pass. This is true of both Alta and Snowbird - whose passes are not cheap and provide a decent discount on the base pass. Not possible to add a Plus or Full, you have to buy either separately. This also used to be true for Schweitzer, but the economics have changed since Alterra ownership was finalized. Now, makes sense to use the full Ikon as your Schweitzer season pass. (I assume the Ikon add-on to a season pass only applies to resorts on the Ikon pass, but not sure of that.)

If an area is also on the Mountain Collective, they typically offer a Mountain Collective partner discount on the area on the season, 50% off lift tickets at any MC resort. So an Alta or Bird season holder could ski 50% off at Taos, Aspen, JHMR. But 50% off is still expensive for a ski week.

I realize there is not much you can do about it and I'm guessing season pass holders are a minority of participants. But does complicate Alta, Snowbasin, Aspen, Taos, JHMR gatherings for some.

You, Trish and the Minks are lucky. Mt. Rose season pass is dirt cheap, and full Ikon purchased separately is reasonable, esp given how much youse travel. Add 700-800++ to that, gets to be a tougher decision.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You, Trish and the Minks are lucky. Mt. Rose season pass is dirt cheap,
Sorry, but it is hardly "dirt cheap", a full pass for next year is currently $775. There are other "values" yes, but Rose is far from the least expensive.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a suggestion. Maybe we don't get into the details of what is cheap or isn't cheap as that varies by household. Can we just agree that for the greatest benefit to all members the location should be announced 2 days before the discount goes away and pass prices go up? That would be 4/16 for Ikon. Seems reasonable.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Thanks, Phil. For me personally, the only reason I would buy the Plus might be if the Gathering necessitated it, and even then it might be a stretch. As @TheArchitect suggested above, knowing specifics a few days before the cut-off would be really helpful for me.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, but it is hardly "dirt cheap", a full pass for next year is currently $775. There are other "values" yes, but Rose is far from the least expensive.
Try nearly doubling that price. What I had to do. Last year. And upcoming prices not out yet, but I'm not optimistic.

OK, "dirt cheap" not the best phrasing, sorry about that, but certainly cheaper than a lot of other places. Number don't lie.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are lucky enough that a single Ikon pass covers all your skiing needs, including for your home mountain, that is a tremendous deal.

If not, the skiing math gets a lot trickier. And can get really expensive.
I suppose that would cover me if I wanted Palisades to be my home mountain but, nope. I like Rose better for a lot of reasons. :golfclap::daffy:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suppose that would cover me if I wanted Palisades to be my home mountain but, nope. I like Rose better for a lot of reasons. :golfclap::daffy:
Which I get. For a lot of reasons, I could have made Solitude my home mountain this past season. But I chose Alta/Snowbird. Each of which is a more expensive than even a full Ikon.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow... I thought the first pass increase was in May. Yikes... thanks for the head's up. Time to get on the stick on picking the place..

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

For the slight difference in price, I've never thought the Base Plus was worth buying instead of the full. 7 days instead of 5, no blackouts for $129.00. Not sure yet what we're doing, (yes, the clock is ticking), but I'd either go for the base or the full.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Folks... thank you to everyone for the discussion. This is short notice (driven by the Ikon price increase date noted above) but we've created a poll to gather more feedback and will lock this thread.

Find it here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January