• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ACL- any good news or options??? find me something!!!

TS
M

Macky

Booting up
Skier
I think I found good sport ortho doctor....And I am lucky to be scheduled for reconstructive surgery March 15 (smome begging to find time was involved :) Than .. will see. keep my fingers crossed. Going with hamstring autograft. Then LOOOONG recovery and 75-90% chances I will ski again / always with chances of bigger complications on ( % depending of the study you read). Another year into the drain.
Ordering tons of books in the meantime.
Thank you for advises and support.
(Should be in Tahoe now..)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think I found good sport ortho doctor....And I am lucky to be scheduled for reconstructive surgery March 15 (smome begging to find time was involved :) Than .. will see. keep my fingers crossed. Going with hamstring autograft. Then LOOOONG recovery and 75-90% chances I will ski again / always with chances of bigger complications on ( % depending of the study you read). Another year into the drain.
Ordering tons of books in the meantime.
Thank you for advises and support.
(Should be in Tahoe now..)
I think you are doing all the right things, and there is no question in my mind that you will be skiing next season. Yes, recovery will be long, but before you know you'll be in the recovery phase. As soon as they let you start exercise,follow directions and get those legs ready for next season!

People blow ACLs at any age, and then they ski again. Ski racers particularly, sometimes have one or two in their history, and they are still competing at the highest level.

I would focus on following all the steps to get strong and not rush it. There is no point in rushing it. Skiing is a beautiful sport that you'll be enjoying for very many years to come, no point in coming a month early and have a set back.

All the best vibes, and remember to have a good glass of wine every day :wine:. It will only help :yahoo:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

New “Game Changer” ACL Repair Comes to Steamboat Springs, Colorado​

Bridge-Enhanced ACL Repair (BEAR)​

Screen-Shot-2022-05-21-at-9.44.50-AM-min-768x223.png

Use cow parts as a bridge to make torn upper and lower ACL connect to each other.

Recovery time same as conventional surgery.

Potentially prevent post ACL Osteoarthritis. Don't know how they can make this claim when it's new and there's no long term observation yet.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I am skeptical, especially when a “news” article(advertisement) has what I consider mistakes in it. Also, given the limited blood supply to a ligament I wonder how well it will heal. I will wait for more long term data.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I am skeptical, especially when a “news” article(advertisement) has what I consider mistakes in it. Also, given the limited blood supply to a ligament I wonder how well it will heal. I will wait for more long term data.
Yeah the way I understand it is cadaver ligaments or ligaments pulled from another part of the body like the hamstring or tendon and becomes the new ACL.

Don't know if a lower and upper ACL connecting with this method produces a more regular fibre that doesn't look like scar tissue. Needs more study indeed.

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
According to the FDA page, the ligament is replaced by the body within about 8 weeks.

I'd think if they gone to the length of obtaining FDA approval, it's legit.

Whether it's any better than the traditional method is a different matter.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AKMINK tore her MCL and ACL back in early March 2022 at the Gathering. She had hamstring graft surgery in April. She is getting along well now but still cautious. Word is the graft is strong to begin with because it had blood supply in its former application in the hamstring. Around three to six months is when most reinjuries occur because A) you're feeling pretty good on the knee and B) the strength of the tendon is weaker due to no blood supply. As the blood supply returns (however that works) the tendon starts getting stronger again. Lots of PT both at home and twice per week at the therapist. Range of motion is very good and strength in the leg is returning. Some things just can't be rushed!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I've heard a lot of good things about the Bear procedure and will be the way I go if I ever need it.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I've heard a lot of good things about the Bear procedure and will be the way I go if I ever need it.
My main concern about bear is it's reconnecting the torn and upper and lower acl, which may form scar tissue. Scar tissue is weak fibre strands and prone to reinjury. Scar tissue is just my guess. The procedure may not form it or the ACL may not be prone to form it unlike other ligaments that get torn and heal (like achilles).

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I’ve torn both left and right acl with two different repairs and results.
Right repair by well known sports ortho in Denver who did a lot of work with the Avs and Broncos. He recommended and went with patellar tendon graft repair. Took more than a year (15+ months) to play sports on it, and had a lot of scar tissue follow up issues.
Left tear and repair were two years later- another well known sports ortho this time in northern VA who did a lot of work with the Washington Redskins. He recommended and went with a cadaver tendon repair. 3 months later I was back skating on ice. Probably 4 months total until I was willing to actually play ice hockey on it. No issues. These days the cadaver knee is straighter and stronger. It also gives me less issues skiing.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My brother was high level mogul competitor and blew his ACL...twice. Both times he did the cadaver graft instead of compromising other ligaments. His doctor did most of the ACL repairs for the NY Knicks. YMMV.

David

Skier
My main concern about bear is it's reconnecting the torn and upper and lower acl, which may form scar tissue. Scar tissue is weak fibre strands and prone to reinjury. Scar tissue is just my guess. The procedure may not form it or the ACL may not be prone to form it unlike other ligaments that get torn and heal (like achilles).
That's a good question. What I read seemed like it grew together as strong as original or stronger but I'm not in need so I didn't do any more research than reading a couple of articles. Time will tell though.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AKMINK's physical therapist uses a bongo board at his office and suggested she use one at home too. At the office she balances on it while tossing a ball against the wall. Then move one foot so you're not centered on the board. Way harder than it sounds! So I made one for home.
20220814_101949.jpg

David

Skier
@AKMINK's physical therapist uses a bongo board at his office and suggested she use one at home too. At the office she balances on it while tossing a ball against the wall. Then move one foot so you're not centered on the board. Way harder than it sounds! So I made one for home.
View attachment 175473
What kind of ball are you using under it?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online