• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alchemy Lycos Gravel Bike Raffle for Bicycle Colorado

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun little exercise... I'm wondering if this bike is as nice as it looks:

Bicycle Colorado, our fantastic bike advocacy group, is having a raffle. $100 for a one in three hundred chance to win the bike, and it goes to a great cause:

I got an email this morning saying only 100 tickets left. I'm happy to send them the money. Any reason I wouldn't be ecstatic with that bike if I happened to win the raffle?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Numbers-wise it's kind of in between the old Kona Jake and a '21 Spesh Diverge Carbon Comp. Not a bad place to be. Velobuild do a GF-003 frame that is also similar in frame proportion but doesn't have half as many touring features.

I'd want a bigger seatpost diameter for proper dropper selection, but never mind me. Most of our vertical is short little poppers so I would really miss my 2x front, but, again, not relevant to your situation.

Last edited:
TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @cantunamunch. If you have a FS mountain bike with a dropper, do you still want a dropper on your gravel bike?

What would you miss about your 2x front? Does it have a lower gear ratio than a 1x? I prefer the lowest possible gear for long climbs at altitude.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks @cantunamunch. If you have a FS mountain bike with a dropper, do you still want a dropper on your gravel bike?

Depends on the terrain you're doing. For example, say you're climbing a fire road with an average gradient of 10%. A dropper post makes it a LOT easier to get back on your bike if you pull over for a nature break or photos. Or, for us old fat farts, to keep the HR down.

1681314428818.png

What would you miss about your 2x front?

The ability to deal with vertical profile that is chock full of 20-30 footers that are over in half a minute or less. Dealing with things like this with one dump of the left lever (and back again). If I need to make more than two lever flicks, the situation is over before I've found the gear.

1681315043712.png

FWIW, that was 6500 vert over 30 miles -mostly those little 20-30 foot sh*ts. I don't expect you ride in terrain like that, so.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Apropos of not much, I've never ridden a Kona bike that impressed me in any way. :duck:

*shrug* ride more Konas? :duck:

In this instance, it's a place holder for "430mm chainstays, 1040mm wheelbase, 621mm front center in a medium frame, with a mid-70s BB drop"

Feel free to suggest a similar geo CXgr that did impress you in any way :)

(And no, Checkpoints and Revolt Advanceds are NOT similar geo)

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They sold all 300 tickets. I'm lucky number 21. Wish me luck tomorrow!!!

Thank you for entering the Bicycle Colorado Alchemy Spring 2023 Raffle! The prize: Alchemy Lycos Au gravel bike, $9,500 value. Your 1 ticket have been entered in the drawing and your ticket number are: 21

Each ticket represents an equal chance to win the drawing. Bicycle Colorado’s State of Colorado Bingo-Raffle License Number is 2023-18029.

The drawing will be held at Bicycle Colorado at 1525 Market Street, Suite 100, Denver, CO 80202 on Tuesday, May 2, 2023, at 3 p.m. Presence is not required and does not increase your chance of winning. The winner will be notified by phone and email. We will notify you by email with the results and the winner will be listed on this webpage by 12 pm on Wednesday, May 3, 2023, and will remain posted for 30 days at https://www.bicyclecolorado.org/alchemy-raffle-spring-23/

Your purchase helps get us even closer to a vision of a Colorado where riding a bicycle is always safe and convenient for everyone, bicycling is the top choice for recreation and everyday trips, and the benefits of bicycling are experienced and valued by all people in our state!

Thanks again for your support of Bicycle Colorado. Please call us at (303) 417-1544 or email us at [email protected] with questions.

Sponsor

Staff online