• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All mountain (Western) ski.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my oldest (turning 14) kept on growing, and now definitely needs new skis.

The big question is what ski to get for her as an all mountain ski to take out west (or ski here at home if we get fun snow).

She is 5’11, 155 lbs.
Intermediate skier who likes to ski fairly fast in open terrain. On groomers she loves to carve big sweeping turns, but most of our time we spend slithering though moguls trees and chutes, hunting out pockets of powder, and interesting terrain.
Last two winters she was on 163 cm Ripstick 94W‘s, but we didn’t ski them out west this past season, and she was a bit lighter/shorter, especially two season ago.
Still, it shows that she gets on ok with fairly lightweight and ‘agile’ skis, and design need a tank.

So as usual, where is the balance between forgiveness and looseness for moguls, trees and powder, while still offering some fun carving and stability for crud?

Blizzard Sheeva/Rustler 9 seem likely candidates. Black Pearl and Santa Ana as well, but worry that both are to stiff in the tails, and not very rockered, making it harder to release in moguls or deeper snow.

Salomon QST also seems interesting, haven’t seen it discussed as much yet, but Outdoorgearlab panned the Lumen QST 99 as unstable at speed and on groomers.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Similar situation: 14 year old son, 5'9, 115 lbs, advanced skier, home mtn: Mt Baker. Last year he was on the Fischer Ranger 94 FR. This year it's the K2 Mindbender 98 Ti Alliance @ 161 cm in part due to @Tricia's review of this and the 88.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my oldest (turning 14) kept on growing, and now definitely needs new skis.

The big question is what ski to get for her as an all mountain ski to take out west (or ski here at home if we get fun snow).

She is 5’11, 155 lbs.
Intermediate skier who likes to ski fairly fast in open terrain. On groomers she loves to carve big sweeping turns, but most of our time we spend slithering though moguls trees and chutes, hunting out pockets of powder, and interesting terrain.
Last two winters she was on 163 cm Ripstick 94W‘s, but we didn’t ski them out west this past season, and she was a bit lighter/shorter, especially two season ago.
Still, it shows that she gets on ok with fairly lightweight and ‘agile’ skis, and design need a tank.

So as usual, where is the balance between forgiveness and looseness for moguls, trees and powder, while still offering some fun carving and stability for crud?

Blizzard Sheeva/Rustler 9 seem likely candidates. Black Pearl and Santa Ana as well, but worry that both are to stiff in the tails, and not very rockered, making it harder to release in moguls or deeper snow. From my experience, Volkls (like the Kenja/Secret) have stiffer tails.

Salomon QST also seems interesting, haven’t seen it discussed as much yet, but Outdoorgearlab panned the Lumen QST 99 as unstable at speed and on groomers.
Tricia will have way more to contribute here, but I’ll tell you what I know about what I know LOL.

The Black Pearl (88 or 98) is pretty damn versatile. It does well on groomers but I had fun on the 88 in moguls/trees and I’m not good in those areas. Your daughter is probably way better so may better use of that ski. I didn’t notice that they were stiff in the tails. I perceived the flex of the Black Pearl to be pretty even from tip to tail; in fact I chose the 82 as a tele ski because of the even flex. They will do better in crud than her Ripsticks. I had the unisex Ripstick 88 and while it was a really fun ski, it kinda sucked on firm groomers and definitely sucked in crud.

Rustler 9 looks like a shape more suited for soft snow. I’ve never tried it but would like to. Looks like fun if she’s willing to give up some groomer performance. But maybe it’s groomer performance is good. FWIW, it is a ski I’d feel confident picking up and just skiing without overthinking it.

I demoed the Mindbender 90C and the Mindbender 90ti. Enjoyed them both; I preferred the carbon version a bit better for more quickness but the ti version would probably plow through crud better. I felt the Black Pearl was a bit easier to ski though.IIRC, I’d characterize the Mindbender as in between the Kenja and the Black Pearl in ease and versatility.

I skied the Liberty Evolv 90 women’s ski last spring at ABasin. I was on a 170 (I think) that should’ve been a little too short for my stats (5’10”, 170 lb at 55 YO) but it was fun, versatile and stable. That’s what I was skiing on in my avatar. @Tricia could probably comment more on them? I don’t think there was much rocker in the tail. They seemed to release pretty easily though. If she likes hot pink, that ski is in HOT PINK for this year.

Haven‘t skied the Santa Ana’s unfortunately. I skied the Solomon QST a few years ago (unisex version) and it was SUPER fun in soft snow; that version on groomers, not so much. But that was about 3 years ago.

I’d say the DPS Pagoda 94 would be up her alley, but that ski is $$$ and she’s still a growing teenager.

Sooooo….I’d say after all that, that the Black Pearl 88/98 or the Rustler would be my top choices.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife (5'6", 120 lb) demoed a few skis last winter and chose the Faction Dictator 1.0X (alternative/women's model). It's about 85 mm underfoot, but the Dictators come in wider widths as well. Second place was the Fischer Ranger 92 Ti (which is really 88 mm in her length), but she would have bought this one if I hadn't convinced her to try some more skis she liked it so much. Apparently the Factions were made in the Fischer factory last year to a higher quality than previous years, but not to be repeated in the coming year. I made sure she tried the infamous Black Pearls, but she did not like them at all. She wanted a more versatile ski for moguls and crud than the more East Coast frontside skis she still uses on firm days.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

She is 5’11, 155 lbs.
Still, it shows that she gets on ok with fairly lightweight and ‘agile’ skis, and design(did you mean doesn't?) need a tank.

Blizzard Sheeva/Rustler 9 seem likely candidates. Black Pearl and Santa Ana as well, but worry that both are too stiff in the tails, and not very rockered, making it harder to release in moguls or deeper snow.

First of all...Wow, is she a candidate for a future in the WNBA?
There are some really good skis that offer nimbleness you want in the moguls with enough stability on piste to keep her happy.
The trick is for it to be stiff enough that it can grip without being so burly that it doesn't play well in moguls and trees.

The Lumen was ok but the Stance is better

I'll list a few that you can choose from and know that she will be blown away by them.

Dynastar M-Pro 90
Völkl Secret 96
Mindbender 88Ti or 98 Ti Alliance
DPS Pagoda Pist 94C
Nordica Satna Ana 93
Atomic Maven

So many good skis!
I'm sure I'll think of more, and I'll start popping some of my reviews for these in here.

Last edited:

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife is really happy with her 2021 Ripstick 94W. 21s introduced carbon on inside edge, so skis differently that your daughters’s previous Ripstick 94W.

Pretty sure she prefers it over her Black Pearl 88s.

Also wife has the Sheeva 10 for deeper days and likes how it skis too. If daughter wants something more carvy, Sheeva 9 (which is more rocketed than you think), but the 10 is a great all around western ski.

Last edited:

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll list a few that you can choose from and know that she will be blown away by them.

Dynastar M-Pro 90
Völkl Secret 96
Mindbender 88Ti
DPS Pagoda Pist 94C
Nordica Satna Ana 93
Atomic Maven

So many good skis!

There really are so many good skis at the moment! I've demoed nearly all of these skis in the past couple of months. With the exception of the Secret 96. Volkl doesn't seem very fond of doing demos at my usual ski area. My very brief demo notes on those skis:

Dynastar M-Pro 90 - smooth, relaxing to ski, easy to pivot, not as energetic as SA88
Völkl Secret 96 - [haven't been on it]
Mindbender 88Ti - tried this as a beginner, didn't like it at all, tried it two years later as an intermediate, found it a fun ski. Feels stable, friend said my skiing looked good on these. Doesn't feel super quick though
DPS Pagoda Pist 94C - very smooth, lots of fun, could ski it all day
Nordica Santa Ana 93 - instant love, so energetic out of turns while not being demanding to ski, i bought the SA88 after demoing the 93 and love the 88 too
Atomic Maven - demoed the poor 93c and 86c mavens on unusually thick choppy snow conditions, they didn't handle as well as the SA88, not as stable. the 86c handled the thick chop slightly better for some reason. however in the slushier (less heavy) lower parts of the mountain both widths were nice and surfy, very light and easy to maneuver

I haven't been on the 2021-onwards BP88 but I own the previous version BP88 (2018-2020?) as well. Just a really decent-at-everything ski. I think the SA88 would be easier to release in soft snow though, the shape and rocker profile is definitely slightly more all-mountain than the BP88.

The Fischer Ranger 92Ti is also a great ski. My notes were "stable but quite easy going and fun, confidence inspiring". I had it mostly on piste though. Off piste that day was mostly ice cookies, I did take it down one off piste run and it handled fine but I wasn't in a hurry to do the run again, on any skis :P

Haven't been on the Sheeva 9 recently enough to have any strong opinions, tried it as a beginner and remember that it was super easy to pivot, it was a strong consideration for me when buying a ski. Have never been on any of the QSTs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She is 5’11, 155 lbs.
Similar situation: 14 year old son, 5'9, 115 lbs,
Disagree that it's a similar situation. From a ski designer's perspective Slim's daughter is physically a woman while your son is a boy. (How many 5'9" men weigh 115lbs?) Anyone who has visited a ninth grade classroom had seen this phenomenon in action.

The boy needs a longish ski (for his height) that's easy flexing (for his weight). The girl could ski an adult women's ski easily.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Should mention, my store carries K2, Nordica, Blizzard, Fischer, Voelkl, Salomon, Icelantic, and I think, Atomic

So I will stick to those brands.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon updated the mens QST 99 , the new one is called QST 98, gets more rocker, shorter radius, probably to differentiate it from the Stance All Mountain series.

The women’s model (Lumen) is still called QST 99, makes me think that is unchanged.
Anyone know if that is correct?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Salomon updated the mens QST 99 , the new one is called QST 98, gets more rocker, shorter radius, probably to differentiate it from the Stance All Mountain series.

The women’s model (Lumen) is still called QST 99, makes me think that is unchanged.
Anyone know if that is correct?
Yes to both.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a run on the 98 this spring at a test event. It's VERY much a soft-snow-only ski. Not a carver at all.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She is 5’11, 155 lbs.
Just going up two sizes on the Ripstick 94 might work fine. The Rustler 9 recommended by others is also a great ski.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier

She is 5’11, 155 lbs.

Blizzard Sheeva/Rustler 9 seem likely candidates. Black Pearl and Santa Ana as well, but worry that both are to stiff in the tails, and not very rockered, making it harder to release in moguls or deeper snow.

My daughter was 15 or 16 when she demoed a bunch of skis looking for a freeski. She is a racer, 5'-9" probably about 150 lbs at the time, looks to go fast and knows how to bend a ski. She loved the Santa Ana 98, but ended up on the Black Pearl 98 because we found a great deal on it. As a racer she was looking for something that she could drive on piste, but still have fun with off piste. This last winter was an absolute pow fest in the PNW and her race team only trained gate on occasion due to consistent 8-16" new snow totals. She loved the Black Pearls for all of the free skiing she did. She has them in a 173.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Say what you may but my wife much preferred Mantra Jr over Black Pearl on hard snow.

So jr skis are too small. For a stronger kid there might be something better. I bet my almost 13 daughter would love the bp's.

Sponsor

Staff online