• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any fellow expeditioners/pulkers here?

crayefish

Booting up
Skier
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum (joined for some alpine ski advice) but as I saw a forum for backcountry/Nordic skiers, I thought I'd say hi and see if there are any others who like to head out on tours/expeditions with their pulk. I got into winter ski expeditions a few years ago and have done a handful of multi-week expeditions (mostly solo, one with a friend) in the Arctic. It's now become a ritual winter "meditation" for me. I recently got back from 3 week solo expedition around Hardangervidda (in Norway) this Feb in fact.

I ski Asnes Gammes with Alfa Outback boots.

IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have taken a [u;k out a few times. I live near the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wildernes, in northern Minnesota. That consists of lakes and rivers that are close together, linked by short connector trails (“portages“ in canoe speak).
So, that’s a good area for a pull, since you are on ice most of the time.
never gone out more than 3 nights though.

TS
C

crayefish

Booting up
Skier
I have taken a [u;k out a few times. I live near the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wildernes, in northern Minnesota. That consists of lakes and rivers that are close together, linked by short connector trails (“portages“ in canoe speak).
So, that’s a good area for a pull, since you are on ice most of the time.
never gone out more than 3 nights though.
Cool. Planning to try longer trips? Pulks are perfect for multi week stuff and the weight is so much less of an issue.

Having said that, the 70 kgs I had to drag on my last expedition through really sticky wet snow was a real pain, especially uphill.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Planning to try a hut trip next season, if we can get a spot – not nearly as intense as the Arctic! We accidentally bought a pulk this year though (thought it was a kid's sled, it was 50% off and a sales guy just kinda handed it to me while I was buying socks) so I guess we might use it.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum (joined for some alpine ski advice) but as I saw a forum for backcountry/Nordic skiers, I thought I'd say hi and see if there are any others who like to head out on tours/expeditions with their pulk. I got into winter ski expeditions a few years ago and have done a handful of multi-week expeditions (mostly solo, one with a friend) in the Arctic. It's now become a ritual winter "meditation" for me. I recently got back from 3 week solo expedition around Hardangervidda (in Norway) this Feb in fact.

I ski Asnes Gammes with Alfa Outback boots.

View attachment 231113 View attachment 231115 View attachment 231118 View attachment 231119
Hi, I'm a former backcountry skier and long-time nordic skier (telemark and ski jumping). Have not done any long-distance nordic ski expeditions but have done Norway's Rallarvegen (which passes through Hardangervidda National Park, the country's largest) on a heavily loaded mountain bike during the late summer. I can only imagine how remote one feels in HNP in the winter while engaged in a long-distance ski outing. Although HNP is pretty far south in Norway, you must have endured some pretty long nights in February. Have done multiple long-distance backpack trips in Europe, including the GR-20, Haute Route, TMB, and Rota Vicentina. Great photos!

TS
C

crayefish

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I'm a former backcountry skier and long-time nordic skier (telemark and ski jumping). Have not done any long-distance nordic ski expeditions but have done Norway's Rallarvegen (which passes through Hardangervidda National Park, the country's largest) on a heavily loaded mountain bike during the late summer. I can only imagine how remote one feels in HNP in the winter while engaged in a long-distance ski outing. Although HNP is pretty far south in Norway, you must have endured some pretty long nights in February. Have done multiple long-distance backpack trips in Europe, including the GR-20, Haute Route, TMB, and Rota Vicentina. Great photos!
Awesome. Sounds like you've had some great adventures! I've always wanted to do the GR-20 (I did the GT-20 bike packing instead). How long was your bike trip?

Hardangervidda in winter wasn't so bad for light, but the storms were dicey. Sarek was much worse in Feb though; less than 6 hours of daylight and temps down to -40 C.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
-40 C is pretty severe! That almost equates to the coldest temperature I've ever experienced (north shore of Lake Superior in late January of a very, very cold winter but I was a crew member of a large ship and could go indoors on occasion when working and, unlike you, was able to sleep indoors! That particular bike trip was 13 weeks long and entailed travel in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark, plus a ride right up to the Norwegian - Russian border just a short distance inland from the Arctic Ocean. The majority of the bike tour was above the Arctic Circle and the Rallarvegen only accounted for a small portion of the total endeavor. Started in Helsinki and finished in Copenhagen.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What gun do you use?

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
1000008455.jpg

My pulking has so far been limited to dragging this girl around. But she is now 12 years old and I'm playing with the idea of getting a cheap Paris sled and go winter camping. We have good enough sleeping bags, mats, white gas stove and a nice Hilleberg tent. We tried with a fully loaded 90 L backpack on me and a 40L pack on her, but that was no fun on Åsnes skis and leather boots. I have no problem with heavy backpacks on foot, but find that it sucks on skis.

Think it would be much more enjoyable with a pulk.

What gun do you use?

No polar bears this far south in the regions Daniel mentioned so no need for a gun. Carrying around a gun for no good reason is generally seen as one of the stuuupidest habits known to man in these parts of the world. So leave those habits behind if you want to visit...

Last edited:
TS
C

crayefish

Booting up
Skier
-40 C is pretty severe! That almost equates to the coldest temperature I've ever experienced (north shore of Lake Superior in late January of a very, very cold winter but I was a crew member of a large ship and could go indoors on occasion when working and, unlike you, was able to sleep indoors! That particular bike trip was 13 weeks long and entailed travel in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark, plus a ride right up to the Norwegian - Russian border just a short distance inland from the Arctic Ocean. The majority of the bike tour was above the Arctic Circle and the Rallarvegen only accounted for a small portion of the total endeavor. Started in Helsinki and finished in Copenhagen.
Wow, that's a hell of a trip! Hats off to you. You must have had an arse of concrete by the end

Yes, -40 is brutal. Its an order of magnitude tougher to camp in than say -30. Most electronics fail, water bottles become unusable and fingers are very difficult to keep warm.

Sponsor