• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Honestly, skiing is the easy part. People are packing in to legal capacity in bars and restaurants.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Higher level strategy is to just reduce the total number of people by excluding across state lines..
This season I only ski in one state where I have a pass and a home, but my legal residence is in another state. Are some states excluding based on state of residence? I know some states (VT for example) have travel restrictions that make it very difficult to fulfill for people that want to come from out of state. That said, as long as you are visiting a state and following their restrictions, residency doesn’t matter. Are you suggesting it should?

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Honestly, skiing is the easy part. People are packing in to legal capacity in bars and restaurants.
Agreed - although I miss my mug, and paid to keep it this season, will not be doing any après in the bar or dining in.

James

Out There
Instructor
That said, as long as you are visiting a state and following their restrictions, residency doesn’t matter.
It matters as a practical consideration. It’s also gotten two way now. So, CT now also requires quarantine after returning from VT!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep. It's all the surrounding businesses and crowd choke points getting to and from the lifts from home, before and after the actual skiing that's problemtic. If we could just beam to the bullwheel then back home we'd all be pretty safe for the most part.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not familiar to me but yes and its interesting as well as confusing as heck. The resort claims both state guidelines to be followed.

Some of this stuff goes past making no practical sense but even becomes problematic.

Any bordering state with NY not any travel issue yet for MA you would need a current neg covid test with 72 hrs.
And so is there a freaking line in the mountain that is one way only? :huh:

But getting tested is not so easy (for anyone everywhere) as they make it seem. I can go on a while about why that is the case but Ill just say often effortful hurtles are involved. Is one really to hit the hurtles to try to come up with the fresh test within no more than 72 hrs out of the day your considering you may go ski and have to cross state lines? Then if you do actually do it not just for you but your entire family for say next saturday and then come friday the weather for the next 2 days is 50 degrees and pouring rain. I mean really? Just nothing at all is practical for anyone to ever go to a hill anywhere in which one state rules differs from the other.

So anyone from NYS can go ski there (at catamount) , but cant cross the border line to the MA side of the resort without the fresh covid test or quarantine and filing a travel form or they risk 500 fine.
Those from MA can go ski there as well but once they cross into NYS side they cant come back to MA without the same or risk a 500 fine too.

I mean even the hills locals and season tix holders from both states are stuck in a ctach 22 and have a huge problem.
The folks from MA side must be fed up with the NY side folks coming over to their side without meeting the legal requirement. Yet the MA folks are welcome to the NY side cause they are legal. Yet they would have a problem cause they then cant go back. Apparently covid understands state laws.

So here is what you got there. or any state borders with 2 different requirements,

Those on the NYS side cant go to the bathroom cause the lodge is on the MA side. :eek:
There must be a ton of yellow snow on the NYS side. :eek:
There is a chair (according to google earth) that begins in MA and after about the first pole your now in NYS. Now what do you do? :eek: How do you get back?:eek:
I mean you just left MA and cant come back. :eek: better call the fam:eek:
And if you do go back your illegal and posing risk cause covid knows what you just did:eek:
And your fellow MA residences dont want you back anyway:eek:
And if from NY then how the heck did you get on the chair in the first place if you began from your NY side? :eek:
What if you fall on the NY side of the line but slide into the MA side where your not welcome? :eek:
What if you fall in the MA side and slide into NY? No problem there at all.....but how do you get back:eek:
The scenarios are endless and do the 2% of folks with the test result have a badge on? And are welcome from all on both sides?

I mean 98% on the hill are criminal and breaking laws multiple times every day. :eek:
God forbid if you should happen to stop and stand on the actual state line with one ski leg in each, :eek::facepalm::geek: I mean OMG what the heck do you do now?:facepalm:Half of you is a criminal and infected yet the other half is perfectly fine.:huh:

:ogbiggrin::mask:;) I mean i could make an entire half hr George Carlin-ish comedy routine out of this :yahoo:

Its the same thing for PA residences who (non employment related) enter NJ which is allowed but they wont be able to return back to PA without a fresh test or quarantine just like the NJ resident is suppose to do except it is allowed the other way around. :huh:

Technically nothing funny about covid but this is why much of the rules are almost a joke and can often be meaningless and worse can even be contradicting. Its also why any ski hill is simply stating that visitors (you the customer) must comply with state rules. And rightfully so as a ski hill is just a business and not at all any official law enforcement agency. They dont offer any real answer to any the above contradicting scenarios because there is no true answer to that confusion of being able to cross a state line yet cant come back. So all the resort can do is simply tell you that you are expected to comply with state guidelines for whatever state your to be in. And since the state to state scenario is stupid between some bordering states (like this scenario is) and a catch-22 you really have no choice but to not go where two states (of different rules) are a concern even though there is zero covid sense to so much of it.

In this case of this catamount ski hill, the authorities should just shut it down completely because its a built in law breaking ball of confusion just by default of where it lies. If you go there to ski your automatically a criminal corvid offender no matter what.
And I refer back to a post in which still has me baffled. I tried to make some laughs out of it but are real scenarios and real questions.

What do the folks at this (or any) border resort do? How are 90% or more of any of the people complying with the two different covid laws on each border side? What is the season tix holder doing? getting a covid test every 3 days or something? The whole picture is an automatic legal concern for probably over 90% of the folks skiing there. Its almost impossible to do without breaking rules. what do you do? Do you exempt that area and a 100 mile radius from the 2 states different rules? I mean how are most folks skiing at this resort doing so without rule breaking? Same goes for any resort that sits on or even very close to a border in which have 2 different rules. Or perhaps they have the same rules but both are a no cross rule. The resort either way would have to shut down otherwise most everyone is breaking the rules almost constantly many times all day long. How are things being managed in this or any similar scenarios? Cause i cant figure it out how to possibly do it.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As someone 185 to 240 miles from my 3 pass resorts, have skied just 3 days but besides pandemic travel and pass blackout issues, conditions have been mediocre. Hoping January will be different. There has also been much conflicting information about what is legally allowed during the pandemic over these 9 months that has confused many. Personally I'm quite clear what is ok and have been all this period that is a matter of locating official orders that have not been reinterpreted by others including news media and then having reading and comprehension skills to do so. I've posted clarifications on sites like my local Nextdoor community, other enthusiast boards, and also on the Tahoe restrictions thread herein to help make clear whatever. Obviously many even reading official orders are confused including news media sources that have spread confusion and conflicts.

But then as someone in electronic test engineering making sense with meaning of awkward technical language is much of what I made a career with. Beyond orders are also ethical questions I prefer to avoid addressing. To this point after 9 months despite venturing out beyond my county boundaries a few times since mid summer, I have not yet done anything illegal though some things have been discouraged. During the remaining season will continue to drive up to Tahoe and in order to ski more than just single days will start lodging in the very limited parts of Nevada that are within the mileage limits of orders even though such is not legal within my state. And that does not include the AirBnB controversy lodging.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I refer back to a post in which still has me baffled. I tried to make some laughs out of it but are real scenarios and real questions.

What do the folks at this (or any) border resort do? How are 90% or more of any of the people complying with the two different covid laws on each border side? What is the season tix holder doing? getting a covid test every 3 days or something? The whole picture is an automatic legal concern for probably over 90% of the folks skiing there. Its almost impossible to do without breaking rules. what do you do? Do you exempt that area and a 100 mile radius from the 2 states different rules? I mean how are most folks skiing at this resort doing so without rule breaking? Same goes for any resort that sits on or even very close to a border in which have 2 different rules. Or perhaps they have the same rules but both are a no cross rule. The resort either way would have to shut down otherwise most everyone is breaking the rules almost constantly many times all day long. How are things being managed in this or any similar scenarios? Cause i cant figure it out how to possibly do it.

FWIW...for research sake...just go to Camelback this weekend....report back your findings.....in the parking lot....in the lift lines...and on the slopes.....(yes, we did see someone texting while they were “skiing” the other day.....lol....)

Your report would be very entertaining....:popcorn:

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
It matters as a practical consideration. It’s also gotten two way now. So, CT now also requires quarantine after returning from VT!

I understand - is the same between MA and ME. We have to test in both directions to satisfy the travel restrictions It is certainly a practical consideration, but we are able to plan accordingly.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW...for research sake...just go to Camelback this weekend....report back your findings.....in the parking lot....in the lift lines...and on the slopes.....(yes, we did see someone texting while they were “skiing” the other day.....lol....)

you mean the drugs, and disrespectful people , and non ski/board etiquette people?:popcorn:
I cant go to CB nor sure if Id want to. But that still doesn't answer the issues at catamount.
And my question about that are not meant to prove an point but just curious now as to how/what the heck are they all doing to make it work? i dont see it as being possible.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

NY/ MA Guidelines
Is Catamount in New York or Massachusetts?

Catamount is located on the border of both NY and MA which means we are located in both states.

Do you follow state guidelines for NY or MA?

Since Catamount is located in both NY and MA, we are required to follow the guidance from both states.

• Travel to New York - Be sure to follow the latest Travel Guidelines at: www.coronavirus.health.ny.gov you will have to fill out the New York Travel Health form and submit it online. You will not have to provide the mountain with this information. It is only submitted to the state.
  • Travel to MassachusettsBe sure to follow the latest Travel Guidelines for Massachusetts at www.ma.gov you will have to fill out the Massachusetts Travel Health form and submit it on-line. You will not have to provide the mountain with this information. It is only submitted to the state.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
NY/ MA Guidelines
Is Catamount in New York or Massachusetts?

Catamount is located on the border of both NY and MA which means we are located in both states.

Do you follow state guidelines for NY or MA?

Since Catamount is located in both NY and MA, we are required to follow the guidance from both states.

• Travel to New York - Be sure to follow the latest Travel Guidelines at: www.coronavirus.health.ny.gov you will have to fill out the New York Travel Health form and submit it online. You will not have to provide the mountain with this information. It is only submitted to the state.
  • Travel to MassachusettsBe sure to follow the latest Travel Guidelines for Massachusetts at www.ma.gov you will have to fill out the Massachusetts Travel Health form and submit it on-line. You will not have to provide the mountain with this information. It is only submitted to the state.
Yes i knew what the guidelines are but those different state guidelines is what causes the problem. . Its why it was brought up. They in themselves create a huge issue.

if you read my earlier post (which i quoted in my last one) pertaining to the situation, you will see it creates huge issues. There is really no way to go there and ski without breaking rules since everything about it consists of border crossing. Which can only be done freely one way. Its a real problem.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The answer is in plain sight. “You will not have to provide to the mountain.......”.

they are telling you what the law is but also telling you they are going to enforce it. they provide cover with disclosure, but then say... but we aren’t going to check. Multiple example of this all over, before COVID and now during COVID.

James

Out There
Instructor
83D2B696-C4A2-41BF-8F09-20A2855F99E3.jpeg

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was planning to ski this season but I just cancelled the only trip I had pre-booked. Looks increasingly like I'm staying local and touring and will be trying to defer my pass at this point.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

I'll go and tell you. Actually Sunday was pretty empty up there. I left around 11 and there were still open spots in the level 2 lots. Haven't really noticed the plates in the lot but knowing the Pocono's (from having a house up there for many years) I'm sure there was plenty of NJ, NY, DE, and PA plates there. I think realistically if they closed the state line the ski areas would close as well.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll go and tell you. Actually Sunday was pretty empty up there. I left around 11 and there were still open spots in the level 2 lots. Haven't really noticed the plates in the lot but knowing the Pocono's (from having a house up there for many years) I'm sure there was plenty of NJ, NY, DE, and PA plates there. I think realistically if they closed the state line the ski areas would close as well.

my post was in jest towards Goose...I wanted to hear what he had to say......I have been enjoying his comments/posts lately about COVID/resort skiing......lol. Always trust a guy that hates hot tubs...

I know “you” know CB....u ski there....I’m a local lifer....and have skied there since the 80’s...we all know what to expect when we ski locally....it is CB......it is what it is...

i had a good day there the other day....9-12....nice bumps on right side of Asp....snow was soft...always fun....

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
my post was in jest towards Goose...I wanted to hear what he had to say......I have been enjoying his comments/posts lately about COVID/resort skiing......lol. Always trust a guy that hates hot tubs...

I know “you” know CB....u ski there....I’m a local lifer....and have skied there since the 80’s...we all know what to expect when we ski locally....it is CB......it is what it is...

i had a good day there the other day....9-12....nice bumps on right side of Asp....snow was soft...always fun....
hahaha LOL I dont hate hot tubs. I just cant bring my half of germophobic self to hang out with whats in them.
And some of the germs as well :ogbiggrin:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure there was plenty of NJ, NY, DE, and PA plates there. I think realistically if they closed the state line the ski areas would close as well.
But they did close the PA border in a great sense and thats what some here have mentioned which began a great debate:ogbiggrin:

One cannot enter PA for pleasure without a current less than 3day negative covid test.

That as Ive mentioned earlier if you want to bring the fam for a ski day is not so easy nor practical to do for everyone as states make it seem. I can get into why I say that but too much to discuss. Its a lot of effort and to also time align it all with your tentative ski day? its just not realistic for many reasons let alone rinse and repeat each time.

So for all practical purposes the border cross for a ski day (or even two day trip) to PA is technically closed. I'll bet my left arm its why most all folks from NJ, DE, NY skiing in Poconos are not at the hills legally. Hence what began a big debate here. But point in relation to your post is that it is closed and lucky for the resorts many folks are ignoring that. If they did physically block and lockout then yes I agree the resorts would be hurting so much more and maybe not even open.

James

Out There
Instructor
hahaha LOL I dont hate hot tubs. I just cant bring my half of germophobic self to hang out with whats in them.
And some of the germs as well :ogbiggrin:
Hah. We had an infectious disease doctor stay with us one winter holiday. The subject of hot tubs came up. She shuddered. There was a litany of things mentioned, none of which I can remember, but they weren’t good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online